Hate Post: Fort Minor's "Where'd You Go"

roaches

I've warmed up to Fort Minor a little bit, but I blame that on "Remember the Name" being played ever seven seconds during the playoffs. But I can't let my distaste for this song sit quietly inside of me. It's unhealthy.

The song's content is cheesy as hell. It's basically an even more emo spin off Eminem's "Where I'm Gone". Having one horrible song replaced by another even more terrible song on the radio just sucks, and it's probably also why I hate it.

The lyrics are terrible:

"Where'd you go? / I miss you so."

I wrote better couplets than this in third-grade English on the same day I learned what a couple was. The lyrics in the verses themselves are no better: "gone / long"? "phone / alone"? "call / all" "way / say"?

*vomit*

"Me and the rest of the family here singing 'where'd you go?'"

The imagery here is so fucking corny I kinda want to die when I hear it. That, or laugh my ass off. This is on par with the freshman singer-songwriter who "performed" at my high school's talent show my senior year of high school. As in, only 14 year old girls were touched by it.

The music itself is pretty terrible. It's an Eminem beat from someone with a slight sense of musicality. I want to say it has the same shitty drums all of the Fort Minor songs has, and a Coldplay meets Linkin Park piano loop, but I'm not sure if that's accurate, because the beat is pretty unmemorable and I'm not about to willingly listen to the song again.

In conclusion, this song is an abomination and in more enlightened times the Spanish Inquisition would be called in to rectify the situation. Fort Minor generally sucks, and anyone who prefers this strain of hip-hop has no taste and probably has family members who were once in the KKK.

ARon

"and probably has family members who were once in the KKK."
Ha Ha Ha.

On point, never liked the song thought it was cheesy as hell. I've even had people ask me who the girl is singing.

Fort Minor = robotic nihilism

Where'd you go offers a fine example of the underlying inability of a rock / rap hybrid to be fluent in edgy rhetoric of hip-hop and whilst we're on the subject...

The alternate vocal renderings of Styles, Black Thought and Common on The Rising Tied embarrassingly humiliate Shinoda's borderline conversational tone and pace. Whilst the social commentary Prevalent on Kenji is refreshing, everything else on the album is wack.

roaches said:
The song's content is cheesy as hell. It's basically an even more emo spin off Eminem's "Where I'm Gone". Having one horrible song replaced by another even more terrible song on the radio just sucks, and it's probably also why I hate it.

The music itself is pretty terrible. It's an Eminem beat from someone with a slight sense of musicality. I want to say it has the same shitty drums all of the Fort Minor songs has, and a Coldplay meets Linkin Park piano loop, but I'm not sure if that's accurate, because the beat is pretty unmemorable and I'm not about to willingly listen to the song again.
:thumb:

roaches said:
In conclusion, this song is an abomination and in more enlightened times the Spanish Inquisition would be called in to rectify the situation. Fort Minor generally sucks, and anyone who prefers this strain of hip-hop has no taste and probably has family members who were once in the KKK.
:) People should stop making this kind of 'music'. Especially those without any lyrical potential.

albohemia said:
Whilst the social commentary Prevalent on Kenji is refreshing, everything else on the album is wack.
I agree with that.

Just briefly:

The song is corny, but as far as hip-hop on the radio goes, it's certainly one of the better radio-friendly tracks.

Where I'm at there's only one "hip hop and r&b" station and it's all fucken whack, just so you know where that comparison is coming from.

LMAO at your last comment roaches.

roaches

Where I'm at there's only one "hip hop and r&b" station and it's all fucken whack, just so you know where that comparison is coming from.
I don't know where you're from or what that one radio station has been playing from, so I don't know for sure where you're coming, but I feel you.

I'm glad I live in the south. Hip-hop radio is pretty dope. We don't have a KDAY or anything, but it's nice.

roaches said:
I don't know where you're from or what that one radio station has been playing from, so I don't know for sure where you're coming, but I feel you.

I'm glad I live in the south. Hip-hop radio is pretty dope. We don't have a KDAY or anything, but it's nice.
I'm in Sydney Australia. There's the odd pirate radio station here and there that are decent, but 96.1, the 'home of hip-hop and r&b' plays straight mindless garbage 24/7.

The media ownership laws here are fucked, its impossible to start a radio station unless you have millions and a healthy relationship with the government.

I suppose the only good thing about the song is that if its on the radio, it might get people to consider steering away from the mindless gangster shit (which is all the station plays.)

i don't mind fort minor, but maybe that is because i have my kids riding with me most of the time and it is something i can play without them repeating everything and getting me into shit with the misses...as for hip-hop radio, i don't even know what i have around here, i bought sirius radio back when they announced howard stern was going to it, and let me tell ya, eminems station plays some pretty good remixes of shady/aftermath stuff, hip-hop nation plays good new and old school shit, and then channel 50, i forget what it's called plays all the radio 50 cent'ish music and r&b/rap collabos...overall, buy satelite, it's the future of radio...

Casey

Staff member
I like Fort Minor's album a lot, in fact I think it was one of the better hiphop albums of 2005. Was never big on this track though - although the drums are good on it. Mike is great and under-rated rapper - although without the guitars and Chester's vox it does feel like there's something missing. "Cigarettes" off the Fort Minor album is fucking awesome.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.