Guilty Simpson - Ode to the Ghetto

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
I was excited about this because I read some pretty good reviews about it in my student newspaper and on pitchfork. Also, I just really want to start liking not-so-commercial rap again as I did about 4-5 years ago. But, damn, there's not one thing special about this album, except that YOU HAVE TO LIKE IT BECAUSE A DECEASED PRODUCER (J.DILLA) produced some beats for it.

1. The lyrical content is not any more intelligent or different from that of most mainstream rappers. So, the "underground" feel is just felt in the lackluster engineering when you put your headphones on.

2. His voice and flow are OK, nothing that would make you want to listen to him over and over.

3. I don't know which songs are J. Dilla beats, but I've heard better beats on local Seattle releases.

What do you guys think?

THEV1LL4N

J Dilla produced track 7 entitled "I Must Love You". That's all.

actually, heres the whole tracklisting info.

# Title Time Producer(s) Performer(s)

1 "The American Dream" 2:10 Madlib Guilty Simpson

2 "Robbery" 3:20 Mr. Porter Guilty Simpson

3 "She Won't Stay At Home" 1:55 Madlib Guilty Simpson

4 "Footwork" 3:29 Oh No Guilty Simpson

5 "Ode to the Ghetto" 3:27 Oh No Guilty Simpson

6 "Getting Bitches" 2:19 Mr. Porter Guilty Simpson

7 "I Must Love You" 3:17 J Dilla Guilty Simpson

8 "The Future" 2:57 Madlib Guilty Simpson, MED

9 "Pigs" 1:49 Madlib Guilty Simpson

10 "My Moment" 2:53 Black Milk Guilty Simpson

11 "Run" 3:40 Black Milk Guilty Simpson, Black Milk, Sean Price

12 "Kinda Live" 3:19 Mr. Porter Guilty Simpson

13 "Yikes" 2:05 Madlib Guilty Simpson

14 "The Real Me" 2:44 Black Milk Guilty Simpson

15 "Kill 'Em" 3:09 DJ Babu Guilty Simpson

16 "Almighty Dreadnaughtz" 5:02 Konnie Ross Supa Emcee, Krizsteel, Konnie Ross, Guilty Simpson

ARon

I was let down by it. Being a Dilla fanatic I was excited about the album but it didn't move me like it should have. Guilty is a good rapper he just didn't come through with this.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.