Great MC's Age Like Fine Wine

AmerikazMost

Krazy187 said:
If it was 1989 and Freddie Foxxx dissed Rakim, I'd say damn!

but it's 2006. neither of these guys should even be rapping anymore.

who gives a shit
I'm sure I'm not the only one sick of comments like these. Ignorant accusations that veteran rappers can no longer smoke the mic because they've reached a certain age, as if MC's get alzheimer's at 35 and forgot how to perform their craft.

Except Dr. Dre, because he's West Coast and has hot beats.

Oh, and Jay-Z, because his shit is poppy and radio friendly.

Most of the greatest rappers from the Golden Age haven't fallen off. They've fallen out of discussion because they refuse to rap over radio beats or glorify the thug persona or labels won't put money into someone who might sell better music in lesser quantities. Do you actually believe that T.I. or Slim Thug has a tenth of the talent that an older Rakim has in his pinky finger? Or that Young Buck could shit all over Kool G Rap?

Nelly thought that about KRS-One. Look what happened.

While you scream out, "Grannyville!
You old ass rapper!" You got it, but can he still
Sever, in other words rap more clever
Like no other younger rapper walking could ever

- Slick Rick

Kool G Rap & Rakim have fallen off in some aspects, In G Rap's prime his flow was UNTOUCHABLE & IMO best flow ever but he can't flow no more, this is from a big G Rap fan.

They have fallen off in some aspects but yet they are better then most bullshit artists currently.

roaches

While I'll never not believe that Kane, G Rap, Ra, etc. couldn't outdo any rapper who came after them, I don't really agree with you. All of the greats, with the possible exception of Face, all of them lose some of what made them great as time passes.

linx

Staff member
I still think dudes like G Rap, BDK, The Ruler & Rakim go hard man.They might not be as nice as they once were, but they are still who they are for a reason.

SicC

Dying Breed
Staff member
AmerikazMost said:
I'm sure I'm not the only one sick of comments like these. Ignorant accusations that veteran rappers can no longer smoke the mic because they've reached a certain age, as if MC's get alzheimer's at 35 and forgot how to perform their craft.

Except Dr. Dre, because he's West Coast and has hot beats.

Oh, and Jay-Z, because his shit is poppy and radio friendly.

Most of the greatest rappers from the Golden Age haven't fallen off. They've fallen out of discussion because they refuse to rap over radio beats or glorify the thug persona or labels won't put money into someone who might sell better music in lesser quantities. Do you actually believe that T.I. or Slim Thug has a tenth of the talent that an older Rakim has in his pinky finger? Or that Young Buck could shit all over Kool G Rap?

Nelly thought that about KRS-One. Look what happened.

While you scream out, "Grannyville!
You old ass rapper!" You got it, but can he still
Sever, in other words rap more clever
Like no other younger rapper walking could ever

- Slick Rick
most people that say things like that are not schooled in old school rap they have heard one or two songs and thats about it, if u sit down and listen to the albums u will realize that they have not fallen off. i agree that record companies refuse to put money into these vets because these vets refuse to do the IN thing, they keep doing what made them big back then and thats what seperates them from these goof balls running the rap game now, and thats why i would buy there album because its more gritty and more witty, u can hear that the age makes no difference the ryhmes and flows are off the chain compared to most rappers now a day... and any fool that shits on rakim is exactly that, a fool.

pz

AmerikazMost

roaches said:
While I'll never not believe that Kane, G Rap, Ra, etc. couldn't outdo any rapper who came after them, I don't really agree with you. All of the greats, with the possible exception of Face, all of them lose some of what made them great as time passes.
That's the point I was getting at. The title doesn't really reflect the passage. My bad, I was in a rush.

out to dinner.. pz

People are meant to hit their peak at a certain time and then fall off gradually, the thign that never goes away is the respect they get from others. It's like this: the vast majority of the guards in the NBA could take MJ one on one, but no one thinks that any of them are "better than Jordan". Regardless if an MC is better than say, Rakim is right now, it doesn't mean that they are the better rapper

EDouble

Will suck off black men for a dime
good shit...
but damn the krs one &nelly shit sho was retarded
I thought it was krs one that started that anyway?

EDouble said:
good shit...
but damn the krs one &nelly shit sho was retarded
I thought it was krs one that started that anyway?
Yeah, I think KRS-One started to diss Nelly after Nelly made that song "#1". Who really won this battle? All I really remember off the top of my head was KRS putting out Clear 'Em Out and You Don't Really Want It, neither of which really impressed me much, and then Nelly dissed back on Roc the Mic Remix and some random radio freestyle (I don't remember what it was called, but it had some lines like "Calling me commercial rap, who did commercials first?/ Who's the one drinking Sprite, like, obeying his thirst?"), then it seemed to be over after that.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.