Gangsta Rap or Hip Hop (Debate)

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Rosco said:
Oh aren't you fucking clever.

lol. It was quite funny.

But it's true hip-hop isn't a genre of music, but then neither is gangsta rap. How many rappers would call their music "gangsta rap", to me it's just rap.

although sarcasm is hard to detect over the internet that post was pretty obvious.

anyway, i think he means "gangsta rap ,vs, Non gangsta rap" which i would have to vote for "non gangsta rap"

Pittsey said:
How many rappers would call their music "gangsta rap", to me it's just rap.
but , rappers say "i dont make gangsta rap" all the time, despite the fact they clearly do, and they know it.
despite 2pac sayin he didnt make gangsta rap when he obviously did.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Frank Grimes said:
but , rappers say "i dont make gangsta rap" all the time, despite the fact they clearly do, and they know it.
despite 2pac sayin he didnt make gangsta rap when he obviously did.

Is there sub-genres to rap though? I just call it rap.

Pittsey said:
By who? The media?
Exactly, it was a term entirely coined by the media, not that the artists did much to to shake off the tag. But then again the shock value and connotations of the name only went to improve record sales.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Rosco said:
Exactly, it was a term entirely coined by the media, not that the artists did much to to shake off the tag. But then again the shock value and connotations of the name only went to improve record sales.

Agreed. What I'm asking though, does that make it a sub genre of rap? or is it just rap, like there isn't sub genres of Country or Classical is there. I just call it rap.

Or am I completely wrong?

i think it moreso showed that ppl will alwayz dodge the thread topic, but still post somethin useless (dats me ) lol.

hmmmmmmmmm, well 2pac mightve made a few gangsta style songs.......but he also made songs like they dont give a fuck about us........does that make him a backpacker?? pac is irrelevant because he never stuck 2 one style.

but if i had to choose against gangsta rap and hip hop, id say hip hop due to it being more then just gun talk.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.