Funeral services being planned for Proof

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
His Web site was updated Tuesday with the words “RIP Proof,” a tribute to the 32-year-old rapper who was gunned down in the early morning at a nightclub along Eight Mile, the road made famous by the 2002 movie that starred his mentor and close friend, Eminem.

Members of Proof’s family gathered at his home on Detroit's northwest side upon hearing word of his death. Vehicles lined the
residential street in front of his two-story house as people hugged each other on the sidewalk.

"Memorial service arrangements are still being made, and his friends and family would appreciate privacy during this difficult time," read a statement from Dennis Dennehy, the publicist for D12's label, Interscope Records.

Proof, born Deshaun Holton, and Eminem have been close friends since highschool and in an eerie bout of irony, Em’s video for “Like Toy Soldiers” shows the rapper pacing the hospital halls as doctors try to revive Proof – who had just been shot. Later in the clip, Em is shown at Proof’s funeral, as he raps about the escalation of violence among hip hop artists.

For further details on the shooting read the previous 2 article here and here. And check back on Streethop for regular updates as we receive them.

okkk

i know Em had nothin to do with it....but it makes u think...bout the video that like Pac showin himself get shot in one of his videos and about 2 N Half or 3 months later he died.....hm...:eek:

okkk said:
i know Em had nothin to do with it....but it makes u think...bout the video that like Pac showin himself get shot in one of his videos and about 2 N Half or 3 months later he died.....hm...:eek:
that video is much older... its from 2004 i think

Nick

LilProphet said:
that video is much older... its from 2004 i think
It doesn't matter when the video was released, it's still ironic that he played that role in the video and now this happens.

yeah man i was sitting in class just thinking about the same exact shit, pac releases i aint mad at cha and not awhile later is dead, and now this , its ironic , anyways im still kinda in shock i wonder why it all happened. any info on that?

Yes, it's ironic. That's it though. Obviously Proof was Em's best friend and the point of that song/video was to show what Em didn't want to happen to his closest of friends/family.

Hey u guys i just emailed streethop.com to see if they would post this to everybody, but after reading sohh.com i learned that the New York Post has dissed Proofs death as a joke to them. So here is what the post said.

New York Newspaper Disses Proof's Death
Today the NY Post ran an article about Proof's murder that began:

"Red-hot rapper Proof - a close pal of Eminem - was executed in a Detroit nightclub early yesterday when a gunman blew his brains out during a heated argument."

"Blew his brains out"? Holy hell. This so-called journalist, Bill Hoffman's description of Proof's murder is more than just disrespectful - it's tasteless. I plan to email him about this at "bill.hoffmann@nypost.com" and I suggest you do the same.

And this isn't just an isolated slight. When ODB died, the Post ran the headline, "Dead Dirty Bastard" as if our heroes in hip-hop don't deserve the same respect.

In another display of how inadequate Hoffman was a a choice to write this article, he ends with:

"It was not immediately known what the argument was about or whether it was part of the ongoing East Coast-West Coast rap war that has claimed such hip-hop greats as the Notorious B.I.G. and Tupac Shakur."

Somebody fire this guy. So lets try to email this guy untill he apologizes to us and hip-hop and most of all to Proofs family and friends. here is their site where u can read the whole article http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/66873.htm

jay_pain said:
Somebody fire this guy. So lets try to email this guy untill he apologizes to us and hip-hop and most of all to Proofs family and friends. here is their site where u can read the whole article http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/66873.htm
Thanks for the link. I totally agree with you. I just wrote to the editor. I've read everything I could get my hands on about this article becuase I was a fan of his and no one else reported this story in such a way. That was classless. If it wasn't a rapper this story would not have been reported in the same way. The headline was Eminem's Pal Blown Away.

lii

jay_pain said:
Hey u guys i just emailed streethop.com to see if they would post this to everybody, but after reading sohh.com i learned that the New York Post has dissed Proofs death as a joke to them. So here is what the post said.

New York Newspaper Disses Proof's Death
Today the NY Post ran an article about Proof's murder that began:

"Red-hot rapper Proof - a close pal of Eminem - was executed in a Detroit nightclub early yesterday when a gunman blew his brains out during a heated argument."

"Blew his brains out"? Holy hell. This so-called journalist, Bill Hoffman's description of Proof's murder is more than just disrespectful - it's tasteless. I plan to email him about this at "bill.hoffmann@nypost.com" and I suggest you do the same.

And this isn't just an isolated slight. When ODB died, the Post ran the headline, "Dead Dirty Bastard" as if our heroes in hip-hop don't deserve the same respect.

In another display of how inadequate Hoffman was a a choice to write this article, he ends with:

"It was not immediately known what the argument was about or whether it was part of the ongoing East Coast-West Coast rap war that has claimed such hip-hop greats as the Notorious B.I.G. and Tupac Shakur."

that is so wrong :woah:
so his email is bill.hoffmann@nypost.com ?
and he was making a joke of tupac and big too

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Before you get carried away, the writer is obviously not a fan of hip-hop and has never listened to a rap song in his life. He is writing from other sources and putting his spin on it.

His lack of information and knowledge is obvious when he tries to link it to an EastCoast - Westcoast beef. He doesn't have all the facts and is reporting rubbish. You'll find a lot of newspapers will do the same, 99% of the people on here know more about hip-hop than the journalists who write the stories.

If you do email him, be sensible and don't be abusive or use cuss words. He already has a poor opinion of hip-hop don't give him reason to continue. If you act mature and intelligent it will show that he's the idiot, not the rap fans.

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
Pittsey said:
Before you get carried away, the writer is obviously not a fan of hip-hop and has never listened to a rap song in his life. He is writing from other sources and putting his spin on it.

His lack of information and knowledge is obvious when he tries to link it to an EastCoast - Westcoast beef. He doesn't have all the facts and is reporting rubbish. You'll find a lot of newspapers will do the same, 99% of the people on here know more about hip-hop than the journalists who write the stories.

If you do email him, be sensible and don't be abusive or use cuss words. He already has a poor opinion of hip-hop don't give him reason to continue. If you act mature and intelligent it will show that he's the idiot, not the rap fans.
Exactamundo. :thumb:

Now, my 2 cents are: Don't email him if you're an idiot, even though you have good intentions. Ask somebody that's educated.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.