Fred Knuxx Interview With HipHop-Magazine.com

Fred Knuxx Interview With HipHop-Magazine.com
http://www.hiphop-magazine.com/hype.php?pn=fullnews&newsfile=news-show&id=87

For one to even begin dreaming about being an MC they must possess the skill and direction to compose music. Included in your music is a message, messages that address almost every aspect of life’s situations in a manner which people of all ages, backgrounds across the spectrum can relate to. Freddie Knuxx encompasses all of these qualities necessary to be considered true to the art. He’s been putting it down for quite some time now. Like when most of you new cats were eating glue in the back of the class or had to be on the porch when the streetlights came on.

Representing Delaware. You know, the place where you drive through, maybe stopping off at a gas station en route to New York or Philly. Well not anymore, Freddie Knuxx is about to change that. With a new management team and plenty of heat to warm a few regions in the arsenal Fred is more than welcome to take the responsibility of introducing a new flavor to the industry. Freddie took time aside to chat with us about his feelings on the state of Hip Hop currently and his creative passions. Trust me this is a name you’ll becoming quite familiar with sooner than you think.

You’ve been rapping since the age of six?

Yea, it’s come a long way from that. I used to watch Slick Rick all the time. The track Children’s Story came out and I was like I gotta do that! When I was younger we used to set up like lil’ battle tournaments and things. When I got around 12 or 14 is when it got more serious, I used to write diss raps to like Kris Kross. It was crazy...

How did you get your name?

I used to be in a group called “The Franchize” and we were coming up with names and the name Freddie Knuckles came up. But as I got older I shortened my name up to Freddie Knuxx. I had to be more professional and show my maturity.

Coming up who were your influences?

My favorite rapper of all time is Nas. I like Jay-Z as far as the business aspect. Even with 50 as far as the success on the commercial side. But as far as musically/lyrically I’m feeling Common, Kanye West - cats like that. Like now I don’t even listen to a lot of rap. The game is so polluted and dummed down that I have to go back and listen to the classics like Illmatic, Reasonable Doubt, Ready to Die. That’s what I consider the last of the real.

Is there anyone you pattern yourself after?

It’s hard to say that. If anything I want people to look at me and place me in the Kanye West type field. I don’t make beats or anything like that but how he has ability to work with artists such Jay-Z and Ludacris but still keep the connection with the underground working with a Talib Kweli or producing for Common. But other than that I can’t pinpoint who I’m like.

What were your reasons for leaving the group “The Franchize”?

I guess it was just growing up, like these were my childhood boys. Not like I wasn’t loyal to the team but emotionally a couple cats didn’t like rappin´. We’d be in the studio and at times others wouldn’t have their verse ready and we were wasting a lot of time and money in the studio. We were signed to a deal through Up Front Ent, and the only way we could get out of the deal was if we split up. Once the decision was made, I decided to keep going as a solo artist.

Since you left the group, what’s the difference in your creative direction as a soloist opposed to that of the group?

Now I get to put out what I want to put out what I want to put out. Before it was like coming together as a group with a collective effort but now I can focus on giving everybody Fred Knuxx.

In your opinion describe the state of Hip Hop?

I’ll say business wise it’s doing all right but as far as the artistic value it’s not were it should be right now. Way too many artists are getting away with putting out crap! Songs that have no real value when back then they used to put out classics, albums that you can pull out to this day and enjoy. But now it seems everyone is trying to push singles and not complete albums, so when u get the albums it’s only like 3 or 4 joints that’s hot and the rest of the album is trash. So now it has to be taken back to the form when it was lyrical, artistic and had quality. When people was trying to make classics. Now the mentality is move units and make the dollar. You can still move units without compromising your integrity.

What are you bringing to the Hip Hop community?

A lot of people claim that they’re diverse, versatile but like with me I can say I keep it honest like I’m not sayin´ I killed 22 people in one verse. I’m not gonna talk about something I don’t live, I’m only gonna give you the only way I know coming from Freddie Knuxx point of view. That’s where I get the most respect. I’m trying to be that mediator between commercial rap and underground.

Give me your dream track, Freddie Knuxx featuring..., produced by...?

Letme think, I gotta think on this one. I’d say Fred Knuxx featuring Nas, KRS-1, Andre 3000, and Kool G-Rap produced by DJ Premier. I think Primo is perfect for that track! This would have to be one of those no hook, just go for yours tracks!

You have interest in pursuing roles acting and writing scripts. What steps have you taken to pursue this goal?

Right now I just have ideas but I haven’t put them down in the form of a script. But as far as acting I used to get little roles/cameos rapping in plays. Like the ideas I get for my songs usually come from movie ideas I’ve had but instead of me writing the entire script I put them in the form of lyrics. Right now I’m trying to get things in order musically so that they will eventually open the doors so I can pursue the other goals.

What types of films are you interested in?

Me, I’m a funny dude I like comedies. Every now and then I like serious films you know like the tearjerkers. I like to make people laugh so I wouldn’t mind doing films of all sorts of forms, I can go to either extreme.

What is your ideal character/role to play in a movie?

I know a lot of people would probably go with Scarface. But with me one of my favorite movies of all time was (pauses)...I wouldn’t mind the role in the Passion of Christ. To me I think that was a good visual of what was in the scriptures. It was a deep movie and on point. But truthfully, if you’re going to do the movie you gotta go with what they said he looked like! If you’re gonna go the full distance, go the full distance. But as far as a funny movie I wouldn’t mind playing in something crazy like Wedding Crashers or Bad Boys 2.

Coming from a state where they don’t receive as much notoriety as it’s east coast counterparts. From an artist standpoint, what has been the biggest obstacle for you so far?

It’s crazy because we’ve always been the town that people drive through but never stopped to look at. It’s nice out here and we have a lot of talent. The main thing with Delaware artists is that we need to band unity. Like when you go to Philly the majority of the artists stay connected and keep that unity. That’s why them Down South cats are on top right now because of the unity they have. It’s like in Delaware everyone is out to be that first one to put us on the map. Instead of everybody working together everybody is all about the self. But I show love to all the cats in Delaware even if they’re out hating on my music. We have the same things in common, we’re from Delaware and we’re struggling. We need to stop the hating, stop the I’m better than you or you and form that unity because the only way we’ll kick down the door is together.

When it’s all said and done, how do you want to be remembered as an artist?

I want to be remembered as that dude that kept it honest and poured his heart out for everything he’s ever done. Basically that cat that kept his integrity throughout his career in the music business. I’m the type of person that I put out music only that I feel. I hope people catch on to it. I can’t compromise me for somebody else, or someone who knows nothing about me telling me to do it this way. I want them to remember I put it down for Delaware, everything I live breathe. Every show I do I’m representing, they know Delaware is in the building!

You recently signed with Trendsetta Management Company, what do you have lined up?

Shout out to the Trendsetta! Right now I’m finishing up “The Repo Man” which I call a ‘spit tape’. DJ’s put out mixtapes, rappers put out ‘spit tapes’. I put out ‘spit tapes’ I don’t want to disrespect the true essence in taking away from what a DJ does. DJ Xclusive is hosting. He’s World Wide, he’s DJ’ed for D-12, Eminem, and the whole Shady camp. So we’re working on that, Trendsetta management and marketing is definitely working hard getting my name out there.

Any there any heavy weight appearances on your new mixtape?

Right now it’s more so all about me. I can have that but I don’t want all these other names all over my product, I can pull my own weight. I do have a couple cats from out here in Delaware who make appearances but now I’m focused on showing the world what Fred Knuxx is about.

Before I go I gotta give a shot out to the Trendsetta, Star Core Ent, HipHop-Magazine.com, the entire 302, Xplosive, Jacobs the hottest graphic designer and DJ Xclusive...you can also check me out at www.fredknuxx.com or www.trendsetta.com .

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.