For The 100th Time: Nas VS. Jay-Z

Nas Or Jay

• Nas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jay-Z

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
who do you like better, but more importantly why.
i find that i keep on getting into arguements with people about why i like nas better than jay. i just want to see why people like who and for what reasons.

WORD

a

I like Nas better as an artist, his music just touches me more. As for the battle, I can't say who won, but I think "The Takeover" was better because it has truth to it.

ARon

^Is their truth to battles where someone says, say, I'll rip your arms off or some shit, get off that shit, is entertainment, consdier it cgi's of the rap world. Takeover was a better dis too Mobb Deep, not to Nas. But I'm not gonna say who I like better, I'm a Fan of both.

Nas, he's the more laid-back one. I think a song like "book of rhymes" makes clear why i like nas better than jay. Nas crowned himself the best lyricist, don't know if it's true. Hard 2 say his rhymes r better than Jays rhymes. It's just his style. Listen to book of rhymes, that's why. (ain't sayin it's his best song, my fav nas song r Life we chose, Rule and the message)
Damn it's so f****** hard to explain in English, cause it ain't my first language. :fury:
Though i must say I like Jay 2, recently listenin to 99 problems a lot. That song got the "Holler if ya hear me-feelin".

Nas is better.

Why?....

Hes more creative, his albums all have a different feel to them and dont sound the same. I like how he takes chances with his music. For example the whole theme of the Streets Disciple album was throwback pre-illmatic. It wasnt none of the flashy production and the same shit that everybody else uses today so it stuck out as different. Hes a better storyteller as well and im a big fan of storytelling tracks. Jay Z gets boring and his subject matter is piss poor and repetitive, he steals rhymes, isnt as creative and is the most overrated rapper out there. Also i like Nas subject matter, i really appreciate tracks like doo rags, nothin lasts forever, nas is like, the set up, 2nd childhood, one mic, and several other classics hes got.

Nas >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jay Z

masta247

Staff member
I dont like jay-z. I bought one album and I have to admit that i NEVER heard such a overrated hip-hop. Oh maybe except kayne west etc. Nas in my opinion is one of the most talented rappers alive if not the most talented.

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
Its weird, Reasonable Doubt is better than Nas' whole catalouge apart from Illmatic, but Illmatic is better than Jay's whole catalogue apart from Reasonable Doubt.

As for the battle, Nas won the battle, but Jay won the war.

Personally, I not only prefer Nas, but I think he is the better rapper when going at 100% effort. Obviously since Nas was hungry in the beginning, Illmatic is an album that he will never surpass. After that, most of his albums were mediocre, but then Jay-Z got things heated, then Nas almost made a total comeback with Stillmatic. It was almost better than Illmatic, and "Ether" is an unfuckwithable diss track that demolished anything that Jay-Z said before or after. As a rapper, Nas has an incredible lyrical arsenal full of crazy wordplay, similes, metaphors, imagery, and creativity. But Nas's problem is that he is inconsistent and really needs motiviation to drop classic albums. Jay-Z exploited those weaknesses in "The Takeover" and got Nas gassed up.

Jay-Z has a lot of rhyming skills and utilizes multi-syllabic rhymes more often, but his lyrical content gets redundant and often gets overused. He's usually talking about hoes or something, and these songs get a lot of club play which I can't hate on, but he doesn't explore boundaries as an artist that often. But when he does, it's awesome... just listen to songs like "Song Cry" or "Soon You'll Understand" (definitely one of my favorite Jay-Z tracks) or "The City Is Mine". Now that I think about it, when considering subject matter, Jay-Z to me is like a Cash Money artist that can actually rap. But Jay-Z knows how to make albums that will go multi-platinum and still get praise from hip-hop magazines, plus he's a businessman, he's got his money right with the record company thing, Rocawear, plus I heard that he was trying to buy partial ownership of the Knicks before.

So yeah... Nas.

7 Syns

O.C., AZ, Cormega as emcee's go > Nas & Jay-Z.

Nas as an emcee > Jay-Z.
Jay-Z as a music artist > Nas.
Nas lyrically > Jay-Z.
Jay-Z's flow > Nas.
Nas catalouge = Jay-Z's catalouge.
Jay-Z as a businessman > Nas.

peace.

ARon

7 Syns said:
Jay-Z as a music artist > Nas.
Maybe we have different views as to what an "artist" is. To me its more of the storytelling what your willing to do on a track type thing. Undying Love, Rewind type shit, or book of rhymes for example. So as far as an artist Nas is better than Jay. Maybe I'm thinking hte wrong thing, explain.

Az and Mega better than Nas? Maybe some songs but album to album no. AZ maybe but definitely not Mega, love the guy but he makes some mediocore ass tracks. His flow is suspect also. But whatever, each of them deserve respect.

7 Syns

Aristotle said:
Maybe we have different views as to what an "artist" is. To me its more of the storytelling what your willing to do on a track type thing. Undying Love, Rewind type shit, or book of rhymes for example. So as far as an artist Nas is better than Jay. Maybe I'm thinking hte wrong thing, explain.

Az and Mega better than Nas? Maybe some songs but album to album no. AZ maybe but definitely not Mega, love the guy but he makes some mediocore ass tracks. His flow is suspect also. But whatever, each of them deserve respect.
Jay-Z is musically better, where as Nas is the better emcee. By musically take into mind the ability to choose beats, how to flow over the beats, how to cater for every single type of fan. Make songs which sound great anywhere not just in one certain state of mind. Nas is great, ive made threads saying I know why people place him as the number one. The G.O.A.T. so no hate just a view.

Cormega is a dope grimmey true to that N.Y. sound emcee. He's lyrically in my view better than Nas and his flow has improved. But like Jigga to Nas, Nas is a better musical artist overal then Mega. Even if Mega is a better emcee technically. Just the way I see it, I own every artist I mention albums and Im judging by that. I know where your coming from though.

peace.

ARon

Everything you say is true.
I just wish Jay would push the envelope like Nas. Thats where I'd say Nas is the better artist, he has done more for music, why'll Jay has done more for the business. I think that beats have been Nas downfall. Jay can sure choose a beat. This might be some shit but it might make sense. Jay chooses beats that will sell, you know he likes the bounce. Rarely do we see him choose a beat for a song, like a real song, something with a concept and meaning. Thats the difference though, Jay chooses something that will still be a hit no matter what he says why'll Nas chooses it for his concept. Or at least thats how i see it. This has nothing to do with what I'm saying but I Am.. or even Nastradamus over better beats and those are solid solid albums.

Mega is tight. I just whish he would explore himself more, he is a dope grimey NY emcee, but that is it. Maybe even a different sound from him, not everything has to be the "hunger pain stomach growlin" type shit. Where is the rest, I want to see the other side of him. Kind of how Nas came to be now, I can make a song about anything type of attitude. Mega is almost like that guy who got drafted number 1 and has so much potential but everytime he steps up he never steps up you know. We know its there but its like he lets me down everytime. Too much mediocore same sounding tracks from him, I believe he can make a classic but I want to see it.

I like both, bubt I prefer Nas. I think he makes better music, or at least has the potential to make better songs. I find Jay's voice annoying at times, and I prefer Nas's lyrics.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.