Flo Rida Tracks His Success, Addresses Melissa Ford Rumors

Rahim

VIP Member
Staff member
After setting a record for the highest selling digital download and dropping his debut album Mail On Sunday, Flo Rida sat down with SOHH to discuss his rise in the Florida rap scene, the making of his music, and his rumored relationship with video-vixen turned TV personality Melissa Ford.

Flo Rida made history when his lead single "Low," featuring T-Pain, sold a reported 470,000 digital units in one week. The infectious single went on to crown the up and coming rapper, "The Download King." The success of the infectious single still comes as a shock to him.

"To have an album out for the first time and to have it do so well, and prior to that getting like over four-and-half million ringtones sold, it was just unbelievable, a dream come true," Flo Rida said. "It definitely let me know prayer changes things."

Things weren't always this good for Flo Rida (born Tramar Dillard). At age 15, the Carol City native's sister passed away. Realizing that life wasn't guaranteed, the teenager decided to take advantage of every opportunity.

"I recall my sister passing away and I was just like, Wow, you got to take advantage of every day," he recalls. "I was like if I was going to do music that's what I was going to stick to. There was really no plan B. I always just kept my eye on the prize, stayed focused and patient."

Rida cut his teeth touring with 2 Live Crew's Fresh Kid Ice as a teen and working with former Jodeci member Devante. But it wasn't until Flo Rida caught the ear E-Class, founder of Florida based indie label Poe Boy, that the upstart was given his chance to shine.

Now, the rookie is prepping the release of his third single "In The Air," which features Will.i.am. Teaming up with the Black Eyed Peas front man, Flo Rida hopes the collaboration picks up where "Low" left off.

"I actually was sitting in the radio station and my A&R told me, 'I have Will.i.am on the line.' Right there on the spot I flew from Florida all the way to Cali, went to his house and recorded the record," he recalls. "I think its going be a real great record, a real party record. It's basically saying, put your hands up [and] let's party."

All the new attention has also brought new speculations. Rumors have been circulating that the rapper has been on the "low" with Melissa Ford. Flo Rida is not one to shy away from a good rumor."

She's very sexy," he says. "I did a radio interview with her and I think a lot of people probably thought it was a lot of flirtatious things going on. If I could I would definitely take advantage of it, but she's a real cool person. Apple bottom! Just know that!

Source: SOHH.com

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.