Favorite era of rap/hiphop?

For me, east coast shit (except for Pac and some Deathrow artists) '95 -98! Probaly since thats when the best of my teenage years were goin down.. Lotta great mainstream albums dropped during those times.. Nas, Pun, Kool G, Busta dropped his 1st two solo albums which were excellent, Wu was droppin all there solos, CNN, (CNNs album and Nore's 1st album were GREAT imo.. wtf @ Nore now) Pac, Big, Outkast dropped ATliens, Mobb Deep was killin shit, Jay came up on the scene... and alot more that I know im missing..

Also the R & B scene was bumpin! Dru Hill, Total, Missy, Ginuwine, R. Kelly, 112, all dropped great albums.. Wish it was '96 again.. :mad:

What about the rest of you?

Since alot of the people on this board are different ages, im sure people will have their own "favorite eras".

masta247

Staff member
1994-1999/2000 for me. I'm not into old school except some Dre/Snoop songs and Wu-tang songs. Generally music in those years was the shit :thumb: when i listen to the radio now i don't hear anything worth listening. They're so "empty" and all sound the same. Plus artists these days are talentless :/ Oh I miss those days.. Even pop songs in 90's were soo dope :thumb: I was like 8 back then but fuck that :p

linx

Staff member
Well, i'm a real old school type of dude. Even though i'm young, lol. But I listen to a real lot of that old shit. I've met people that were like "how old are you?" ..because of the shit I listen to. Like the Afrika Bambaataa, Slick Rick, Big Daddy Kane, Whodini type shit. The 80's basically. As far as my favorite, I don't know. The 80's-95 or so was a very dope time. I can't hate and end it there though since there's still plenty of good music coming out.

The era of Death Row (1992-1996) was the best for me. I'm not just talking about Death Row's music; that specific era had a lot of great music... Wu-Tang's group album and various solos, Bone Thugs' Creepin on ah Come Up and E. 1999 Eternal, Biggie's Ready to Die, Jay-Z's Reasonable Doubt, Nas' Illmatic, etc. 1997 was also a good year... Life after Death, Wu-Tang Forever, The Art of War. And then Puffy hit the scene as an artist and fucked it up for me.

probably either 95-96 or the new millenium (2001-present).

hard to say though cos i love stuff in every era, but 95/6 had some of my favourite albums from jigga, quik, goodie mob, outkast, mobb deep, etc but new millenium had DIPSET reign and the peak of the ROC as a whole, aswell as kanye and my fav devin material.

actually fuck that - too hard to say. as much as i don't wanna agree wit roaches, he's right.

aloivas said:
but new millenium had DIPSET reign and the peak of the ROC as a whole, aswell as kanye and my fav devin material.
Dipset reign? Are you serious? A few of their songs getting played at clubs hardly gets classified as a reign in my book.

Da_Funk

DeeezNuuuts83 said:
The era of Death Row (1992-1996) was the best for me. I'm not just talking about Death Row's music; that specific era had a lot of great music... Wu-Tang's group album and various solos, Bone Thugs' Creepin on ah Come Up and E. 1999 Eternal, Biggie's Ready to Die, Jay-Z's Reasonable Doubt, Nas' Illmatic, etc. 1997 was also a good year... Life after Death, Wu-Tang Forever, The Art of War. And then Puffy hit the scene as an artist and fucked it up for me.
That basically sums up my thoughts, wow.

EIB said:
95 - 2000... the years of DMX control underground and mainstream.
I'd say DMX's abilities started slipping after ...And Then There Was X (1999). I bought his CDs after (The Great Depression, Grand Champ, etc.) and I didn't think they were special at all. So I'd say DMX's peak years ended in 1999. (Yes, I'm aware that ...And Then There Was X was released on December 14, 1999, so the album's success would've trickled into 2000 with music videos or whatever, but he wasn't controlling anything after the release, especially since Sisqo was already kind of wack in the public eye by the time "What These Bitches Want" was a single.)

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.