• Above the Rim-soundtrack (1994)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Murder Was the Case-soundtrack (1994)

• Tha Dogg Pound-Dogg Food (1995)

• 2Pac-All Eyez on Me (1996)

• Makaveli-The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory (1996)

• Snoop Doggy Dogg-Tha Doggfather (1996)

• Daz Dillinger-Revenge, Retaliation, and Get Back (1998)

• Other (The Lady of Rage-Necessary Roughness, Kurupt-Against tha Grain, Gridlock'd soundtrack, etc.)

• Total voters
I'm in such a "Death Row" mood right now, well, early-Death Row. I watched their '95 Source Awards performance, and I've been watching the Dogg Pound footage from the DVD rerelease of the '94 hip-hop documentary The Show, plus I've pretty much worn out my Death Row Uncut dvd over the last few months.

Looking at their catalog from their first official release, The Chronic (correct me if I'm wrong), to their latest, Kurupt's Against tha Grain, there are some damn gems in there, a few jumbled "Greatest Hits", some overlooked kick-ass records, plenty of soundtrack releases, official "bootlegs" pretty much (Dogg Pound 2002, Snoop-Dead Man Walkin'), a Christmas album :)) :) ), and a few admitted damn shitty records in there. Anyway, I think it's about time a proper poll was put up; WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE/THE BEST DEATH ROW RECORD EVER?

There's plenty of competition, but after Death Row's popularity waned, I ended up feeling like they could have done so many more killer records. What if Dre didn't leave and he put out The Chronic 2, like he was supposed to, had he stayed? What if Kurupt had put out a proper record when he was at his peak, instead of waiting until he's whatever he is now (it's sad, there's such a drastic change in Kurupt's flow and lyricism, I'm guessing he was/is drugged out like I'm pretty sure Daz is nowadays)? What if Quik had put out a proper Death Row record, had he been able to break his Profile deal? What if Nate put out a proper record instead of what kind of was put out and later jumbled up to make his G-Funk Classics 1-2 record? What if Jewell put out a proper record? What if Danny Boy put out a proper record? What if CROOKED I had put out a proper record? Damn...

Anyway, I'm not including a few records for obvious reasons; The Deep Cover soundtrack was a Solar release, DJ Quik's Safe & Sound, while exec. produced by Suge, was a Profile release, Michel'le's Hung Jury, while now DR has the rights to it, was originally a Priority release. And I'm only including 'Pac's All Eyez on Me and Makaveli in the poll, all his posthumous releases I'm pretty sure majority owned by Amaru/Interscope anyway, right? Except for his "Nu Mixx Clazzics" record, but if you voted for that, you should be drowned. No Greatest Hits records in the poll, either, but if you want to be a dick about it, I guess you can vote for whatever in the other section.

Personally, I voted for Murder Was the Case. As much as I love 'Pac, All Eyez on Me definitely could have been trimmed to one disc, The Chronic has a lot more filler than people want to admit, Dogg Food had filler, but I'm appreciating it a lot more than I used to, and Doggystyle was a close second for me. "What Would U Do", possibly the greatest Dogg Pound song ever, Dre & Ice Cube "Natural Born Killaz", two SICC as hell Snoop tracks, "21 Jumpstreet", and "Who Got Some Gangsta Shit", Quik's single greatest track, "Dollaz & Sense", two great Jewell tracks, one Dre-produced, one Quik-produced, Jodeci, Danny Boy, and Nate comin' hard, Sam Sneed, Slip Capone (& Boss Hogg) and the Young Soldierz impressing me, and really only B-Rezell's track as the one weak track. THE best soundtrack of all-time, in any genre of music, in my humble opinion.

EDIT: I put the poll up on this one, my bad. Also, I don't know if Kurupt's Against tha Grain should count, since Koch released it, and DR is pretty much disavowing it as an official release. Whatever.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
It has to be Doggystyle closely followed by Chronic.

But as this is still essentially a 2pac board, I think we all know what will win.

That is a hard one, so many good ones to choose from lol. But i think i'll have to go with Doggystyle, followed by The Chronic and Murder Was The Case Soundtrack. I agree with you there KanDeeMan, that is one of the best soundtracks out there

I seriously didn't think Makaveli would run away with this as much as it is, and although I knew I'd be the only one voting for Murder Was the Case, not ONE vote for Dogg Food?

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.