Eminem Crowned Best Rapper Alive By VIBE

Rahim

VIP Member
Staff member
VIBE.com has released the outcome of their fan-driven poll of "The Best Rapper Alive," and after nearly a million votes the fans have spoken -- Eminem reigns supreme.

While many may have thought Lil Wayne would have topped the list, he didn't make it to the top two. It was Eminem who was crowned the globe's top MC in a tournament-style contest.

Rappers like Kanye West, Rick Ross, Nas and T.I. were given brackets, similar to the NCAA basketball teams during March Madness. Beginning in July, fans began voting on head-to-head matchups, with MC's being eliminated gradually until Jay-Z and Eminem were the only ones left.

Slim Shady won with 69 percent of the votes in the finals. VIBE said that more than 920,000 votes were cast since July.

"It's obviously an honor to have won the fans' support by being voted 'The Best Rapper Alive'," Eminem said in response to his victory. "I don't think that there is any one rapper that is simply the best though. Everyone who was in consideration and many others are the best at certain things, and at what they do. But since VIBE's offering the distinction, hell yeah I'll accept!"

Some of the surprising upsets in the tourney were when Andre was defeated by no. 3 seed The Game, and Lil Wayne lost to Ludacris.

"VIBE is thrilled we could put the debate about 'The Best Rapper Alive' in the hands of the fans," VIBE music editor, Sean Fennessey, said. "Eminem isn't just one of the most successful MC's of all time, he's also one of the most beloved. The proof is in the voting."

The win will be revealed in the mag's upcoming November issue, where Barack Obama will grace the cover.

Source: BallerStatus.com

Im glad Lil Wayne got dropped off the list, he was never worthy of best rapper alive in my opinion. 'Em is a genius with lyrics, although im sure him topping the list will cause more controversy. Ive always rated Ludacris higher than Lil Wayne and its about time that got recognised. But i agree with what 'Em quoted, there is no best rapper alive. There's too much variety out there to single out one rapper.

Pe3ce

C

catn9ne-

This whole thing is a joke.

I don't think Eminem is the best rapper alive. I do think Dr. Dre, Nas drop better track than him.

Someone who rap about homosexual, killing his baby mama could be the best rapper.

U

Unregistered eminem fan

go eminem

eminem doesnt get as much cerdit as he deserves

hes a great rapper and people dont always see that

hes one of the best rappers alive

tupac probally is still alive all the hints are there but i think tupac was average anyway the main time he got surpport is wen people thought he was dead!!!!

go for eminem hes the best rapper alive in my eyes!

it was good he says that u cant sing out the best rapper to because that is kind off true every rapper got different skills and styles!

for a start vibe magazine focuses on mainstream rap like the big names... eminem, ice cube, ti and jay-z are massive names... nas has recently emerged into mainstream with his last few albums

it dosent focus on rappers that deserve recognition such as immortal technique, canibus, ras kass, and future west coast star crooked i... i dont no how the eminam fan above cant notice that eminems rapping ability is limited... and always has been... hes lost his flow and pace in the past few years and almost EVERYONE has noticed it... people need to wake up and stop living in the past

THEV1LL4N

Below i have the knockout brackets so you can see who was up against who:

i remember crooked i did a freestyle over kanye's "stronger".

is there a way to download the freestyles submitted by the other artists?
would appreciate it if someone could find them.

thanks.

The Best Rapper Alive: The Notorious B.I.G. Bracket | VIBE.com

The Best Rapper Alive: Pimp C Bracket | VIBE.com

The Best Rapper Alive: 2Pac Bracket | VIBE.com

The Best Rapper Alive: Big Punisher Bracket | VIBE.com

The Best Rapper Alive: Finals | VIBE.com

raywaters11

immortal technique is hella overrated

eminem isnt the best alive... he had two GREAT albums, a few good ones, and a couple were just plain shit.

Ye i think Andre should of been crowned, he's never been recognised enough for his ability. 'Em is dope though, not always consistent but thats because he sometimes makes records for commercial profit. But the dude can drop lyrics no doubt about that. The fact that he has'nt dropped anything in a while makes you think that this was purely a battle of the public votes, not fact.

I want to see an all Eminem Vibe book like my Tupac one on the shelves now, he might be #1 but he ain't got his own dedicated vibe book

I question the glory here, is it better to be the best rapper 'alive' or 'dead'?

Eminem will never come close to 2Pac in this sense. Pac is dead and people still question if he is alive, hahaha, Em will not reach that level, even if it cost him his own life.

Maybe if Em sells more records than Tupac has, then he could be considered the best rapper, I will source the Guinness book of records here

I dont think best rapper should ever be based on public voting or album sales. You can be popular but not necessarily the best. I think there should be a formulated method or process to add up what it actually means to be a good rapper. And then when you apply that to artists you will see who the best is. Public voting can be corrupt and it can based on a particular target audience. So the Vibe best rapper alive isnt really accurate and neither is it based on hard evidence. It can be misleading to say the least.

I dont think anyone will come close to 'Pac. He earned that merit and no matter what anyone says its going to be hard to argue why anyone like 'Em, Jay, Wayne etc are just as good as he is. 'Pac bought something soo unique to the rap game that anyone who tries to do the same will be known as a biter/fake. It started with 'Pac and it ended with him too. I always laugh when people say "this rapper is the new 2pac" - Im like WTF? You know what 'Pac went through to earn his stripes? You know what he sacrificied to become renowned as he is? Its disrespectful to him to even suggest it and its a shame that noone understood what 'Pac was all about enough. You dont hear anyone saying "These guys are new beatles" or "this dude's the next Sinatra". They were unique and it cant be replicated or enhanced. 'Pac is in the same category. (i purposely didnt mention Elvis)

I still dont think we can ever say who the greatest rapper alive is unless its based on popularity and album sales. And that to me doesnt necessarily make you the best. Its not fair on those rappers who dont get the recognition they deserve or because there not as "marketable" as other rappers. A record label can make you and break you and most MCs dont even get the chance to give it a shot.

Pe3c3

I agree with this completely. I do not think Eminem gets enough credit (i dunno if that sounds strange). Lil Wayne is pretty good but he just says hes the best rapper alive and people buy it for some reason. He's great, but, not greatest. I know they didn't focus on Immortal Tech or Can i Bus but I think think Em deserved it anyway. I am disappointed to see Young Jeezy beat out Rick Ross (I hate both but - young jeezy :barf:) I can't beleive Meth beat out Red by that much of a landslide. btw, conormufc07, Crooked I was on the list and Game beat him. which, as much as I love The Game, was probably more due to name recognition. Ice Cube should have beat out Snoop imo. and oh yeah, Lil Kim is way better than lauren hill!!! sorry!

and I think it's hilarious they started Eminem out Vs Soulja Boy, and horrified that Soulja boy ended up with 5 percent of the vote, much less any votes at all.

What I mean by it starting and ending with him is that everything 'Pac represented was unique and it cant be enhanced or replicated. He reached a level that no artist can ever reach. He should be renowned across the music industry period, not just hip-hop/rap. You wont get another MC ever spitting lyrics that give you the chill after there dead. And 'Pac does that. He says something that he said in '96 and 12 years later were still wondering if he's dead or alive. How fuckin' amazing is that?

To me he was unique across any genre of music out there. And just like most of y'all, my taste extends hip-hop and rap. But i know something special whe i hear it and to this day aint nothing hit me more real than a 'Pac record. PERIOD!

Do i think another MC will come out like this again? Hell No! There wont be another Mozart, another Da Vinci or another Darwin. And there definitly wont be another Tupac. When people like this make there presence it leaves a footprint for eternity. Aint nobody else gonna leave a legacy behind like this.

'Pac got shot, backstabbed, humiliated, left to rot in jail before he could show us his true abilities. And he sacrificed his life to have one more shot at earning back his respect and name in the game. And thats what I mean by what 'Pac had to go through to earn his stripes. He knew if he came back out gunz blazing he could get shot again but he thought fuck it. It was worth dying for. But not without leaving something behind ... He could of just fizzled out in the background and accepted defeat. But he overcome his suicidal state of mind and went beyond anyone's expectations. I dont think anyone expected that from him and it only became clearer after his death and all his unreleased shit thats been pouring out just what a true legend he is

Sorry to everyone else for taking this post off topic .... ... .. . Its the same shit most people already knew. I was just explaining myself about what i said in my earlier post

Just to bring it back for a minute - Im suprised Chamillionaire didnt get noticed? His last album was dope apart from 1 or 2 below par tracks.

Pe3ce

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.