E-40 and Lil Jon criticized for their Hyphy album

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Two San Francisco-based hip hop companies are calling out rapper E-40 for falsely claiming the region’s hyphy movement on his new Lil Jon-produced album, My Ghetto Report Card.

HyphyTV.com and Hyphy Inc. released a joint statement in which they claim E-40 and Lil Jon have "not one Hyphy artist on their roster and tour." Responding to the claims in an interview with SOHH.com, 40 says: "Ain't nobody ever heard of no Hyphy Inc. ever!"

A spokesperson for the two companies stated:
Lil Jon and E-40 brought some much needed attention showcasing the new and distinctive culture and lifestyle that’s taking place in the Bay Area. But neither artist is in fact a real member of the movement. Since bringing the attention to the movement the pair has been accused of using [it] for their on personal selfish financial gain. E-40, who is not even a Hyphy member, is being accused of using the new found fame and clout to put his family members and label mates in key positions at the expense of Hyphy.​

The statement goes on to note that 40’s relatives – sister Suga T, brother D-Shot and son Droop-E – are all in the process of putting out projects. The companies also single out Lil Jon as "the mastermind behind the plot" to exploit the Hyphy movement.

"Lil Jon never intends to put a Hyphy artist on; he’s just using the name to keep himself in the spotlight," the statement read.

After expressing that the companies are virtually unknown throughout the Bay Area, 40 told SOHH: "The hyphy movement started in Oakland for one. So can't nobody from San Francisco be talking about that. I love Frisco, that ain't got nothing to do with the city of Frisco, but I'm not gonna affiliate that with these suckers, whoever these cats is."

In response to the companies’ claims that 40 lacks respect in his hometown, the rapper says: "First of all, my respect in the Bay is to the extreme my dude. If the Bay didn't love me, I wouldn't be at 60,000 units just in the Bay area alone. The love is there. As far as street credibility, I got that. That's a plus. That's straight A's across the board. Don't get it ‘twited’."

"Overall, the hyphy movement, I helped birth that thang, man, I ain't the one who made it up. All I do is endorse it, smell me? Like I said, I was on the first song 'Hyphy.' I got the utmost respect for Mac Dre, Keak Da Sneak and the Federation and whoever else is about the Hyphy movement, it's all gravy. At the same time, cats like me and [Too] Short all we're doing is trying to represent our soil. What I'm supposed to do, talk like I'm from New York, rap like I'm from New York? If I didn't say nothing about the hyphy. It'll be like 'he done went South. He won't say nothing about the Hyphy.'"

"What have they done for the movement or whatever else," he added. "That's a hate group if anything. They're probably a rap group trying to get some exposure. Ninety-nine out of 100% gonna love me. There's probably one percent out there that hates me cause they ain't on, bullshitting."

Man we gotta stop this bay on bay hating , its stupid. Everybody knows that hyphy started in oakland, e40 dont take credit for makin it , he jus takes credit for making it mainstream. STOP HATIN!

EDouble

Will suck off black men for a dime
hyphy TV and hyphy inc what the FUCK kind of nerds is runnin that shit? it's like theyre sayin 'Not one of those individuals is an employee with us here at Hyphy Inc. Any claims they make otherwise is false, and this is just for profit.

' a real member of the movement '. Next year they gona have a Hyphy club house and put 'NO 4-0'S A77OWED'

If this album hadnt sold any know they wouldnt be releasin no damn statements. Master plan by Lil Jon lmao fuck out of here. I guess rick rocks in on it too

SonOf2pac

every bay area artist gotta jump on the hyphy movement and support that shit... that's what e-40 did... i agree with what they said about lil' jon using the hyphy movement to stay in the spotlight but tell me when to go is the only west coast song they play out here on the east coast... i can't stand the hating over here but the west coast needs to get it together or hyphy gonna die, u smell me? lol

where the fuck these guys come from? 40 is da bay and hyphy is how we run it down here these corporate bitches come outta no where and tell 40 he aint hyphy

oh yea anotha thing this is like someone making a company called Gangsta & Co. then them saying nobodys "gangsta" cause they have a company called "gangsta"

I feel 40 was hot till he affiliated himself with Lil' Jon, since he has become mildly annoying.

Yet another former 'Pac affiliate who I feel switched it up for $

hypocrites...nobody knew bout hyphy outside Cali. untill E-40 put it on....besides E-40 is a legend, he way above this hyphy shit. He might not have been one the key to make hyphy but he did make the Yay area important (Too $hort, Digital, Spice 1, even Pac)

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.