Do you ever

masta247

Staff member
Enjoy music from artists you really, really dislike? I don't mean disliking their voice but disliking them as a person.
Would you buy their cd's?
Do you think that it's strange to listen to and support an artist you personally dislike but makes good music?

Shadows

I disliked 50 but dugg his music. Now i could care less about disliking someone. If Chris Brown came up with hot music I am not going to boy cot it just b/c he beat Rihanna.

masta247

Staff member
It's just that music somewhat belongs to an artist who creates it. If I was a rapper I'd think that people are listening to me, my music is something I have made and it's a part of me.

On the other side there's a listener. For example if you encounter a rapper in real life, have a serious argument with him because he let's say punched your brother or dissed you and then recorded a dope cd would you still listen and support it knowing that he dislikes you and you dislike him?

It's just a morality thing but it makes me wonder what are your opinions.

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
It depends, of course. Usually I try to separate man from music. Nowadays it's much easier because I get a feeling not many rappers truly rap form the heart.

_carmi

me, myself & us
I could care less about who sings/raps the song. As long as it's good music, why not? I don't find it's about supporting an artist, but supporting the artist's music. Example: Kanye West seems like an arrogant asshole. But I enjoy his music regardless. And this won't stop me from supporting his next records if they are good as well.

Now all of this today I rarely buy music so this thread is a bit irrelevant to me. But if I buy music it's because I like the music and support that music, and not the person who is behind it.

Then again I will probably buy Eminem's Relapse regardless of if it is good or not and by doing so I will be supporting the man behind the music. But that is rare for me to do.

masta247

Staff member
I'm glad about those responses. It means that most people replying are not "hating". I think that "hating" - what many rappers describe doesn't happen as often as it used to.

What I had in mind was that whole Bad Boy hating because of Pac, Snoop Dogg hating because he beat up a fan and Jay-Z hating because of Nas. Same about Chris Brown for running a Whitney Houston on Rihanna's ass.
These days people listen to rappers who don't give a fuck about their fans untill they give them money. They would most probably dislike most of their fans in real life.

Shadows

I could care less about who sings/raps the song. As long as it's good music, why not? I don't find it's about supporting an artist, but supporting the artist's music. Example: Kanye West seems like an arrogant asshole. But I enjoy his music regardless. And this won't stop me from supporting his next records if they are good as well.

Now all of this today I rarely buy music so this thread is a bit irrelevant to me. But if I buy music it's because I like the music and support that music, and not the person who is behind it.

Then again I will probably buy Eminem's Relapse regardless of if it is good or not and by doing so I will be supporting the man behind the music. But that is rare for me to do.
you're awesome Carmz! you the best!

yak pac fatal

what if ems album is so bad that youre offended by it, will u still support him and/or the album?

TheCat

i hate JAY Z with a passion, but i still listen to the reasonable doubt and american gangster albums. really hate the dude and hate his women even more so, maybe my hate for jay-z is because of beyonce.

also P.diddy is an asshole, but i cant help but love his All about the Benjimens (amazing track) and Satisfy You.

so i guess my short answer is yes i enjoy music made by people i hate.

Euphanasia

^the thing about an eminem album is that even if it's a garbage album like Encore, it is still worth buying because the few great songs on there are so much better than a lot of the rap that's out there. For instance, I don't regret buying Encore because of songs like Toy Soldiers, Spend Some Time and Mockingbird.

Yeah i may listen to rappers even thou i don't like the person behind it or his attitude even thou i don't really care about that or pay attention to what they're doing with their lives...i can't really say i don't like the person behind because i never met and talked to a known rapper

what did beyonce do to u? lol
she doesn't know he exists

Da_Funk

When I was 13-14 I used to FUCKING hate Biggie and the whole Bad Boy camp. As I grew up I grew out of that attitude. I think what you're talking about is a very juvenille attitude, Masta, and any adult who is an outside party and thinks like that probably has some unresolved issues in their life.

On the other hand, I think Kanye is an ass clown and I don't listen to his music, but thats because it blows donkey dicks. Same thing with Diddy, I think dude is as plastic as they come, he however has a couple dope tracks, like that one about biggie.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.