DJ Shadow aligns with the Bay Area

The career of DJ Shadow has taken an unexpected turn with the release of his new album and his alignment with the Bay Area hyphy sound.

DJ Shadow is a revered producer who is credited with releasing the first ever CD comprised solely of samples. His albums Entroducing, Pre-emptive Strike and The Private Press have long been considered benchmarks of turntablism, instrumentalism and creative sampling with the roots of the sound, the process and his career clearly embedded in hip-hop.

His latest album, The Outsider, has caused a huge split in his fanbase – the division between ‘artist progression’ and ‘artist mistake’ are fiery and fierce. The sound of the new album is principally electronic and is dominated by guest appearances which include David Banner, Keak Da Sneak, E-40, Q-Tip and Lateef The Truth Speaker.

“I care what people think [about my music], but at the same time I can’t let it dictate the type of record that I make,” he said. “I decided to make an album that really reflected who I am now, as opposed to adding to some sort of longer legacy.”

The opening track is called ‘This Time (I’m Gonna Try It My Way)’. One of the closing tracks, ‘What Have I Done’ has left some wondering the same thing.

The Outsider is released September 18th.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.