DJ Kayper brings back Yo! MTV Raps

Casey

Staff member
I'm real proud of my girl Kayper, she is a friend of mine and hella cool. She is a bad ass DJ and we've given her exclusive a few times recently for her radio show here in the UK.

Anyway, check this shit out.

In an era where hip hop seems to be about nothing but women, cars, drugs and murder, one DJ is working to change all that. DJ Kayper is one of the hottest DJ’s in the Urban Desi scene today, not to mention the #1 Female DJ in the world, as dubbed by DJ Jazzy Jeff. Blending everything from RnB to Bollywood and Bhangra, Kayper’s main influence no doubt comes from the old skool hip hop era. And that’s exactly what her bangin’ new mixtape ‘Bring Yo! MTV Raps Back,’ is all about.

“Yo! MTV Raps represented the golden era of hip hop for me; a time when it was about the music and nothing else,” said Kayper. Yo! MTV Raps was on air from 1988 to 1995, hosted by legends of the game: Ed Lover, Dr. Dre and Fab 5 Freddy. It showcased the hottest hip hop videos of the era along with hosting iconic interviews with the best of the best in hip hop history. The mixtape represents the time and culture of hip hop in the days when Yo! was on the air. It’s 60 minutes of continuous mixing featuring 25 old skool hip hop tracks that were all personally chosen by Kayper herself. The entire mixtape was compiled in a matter of hours and Kayper says that’s how she knew she was having fun with it. When you listen to the mix it’s not hard to deny that it’s a straight throw back to the days of ‘real’ hip hop that so many of us pine for. Kayper flawlessly mixes each track, instead of using the typical slams and abrupt stops that most DJs use these days; there’s no screaming on the mix, and its an actual mixtape – not a compilation. By implementing her flawless turntablist techniques that were reveled in the days of real mixtapes - she creates a masterpiece that you can bob your head to while driving in your car.

Kayper stays true to the Yo! theme, as the very first track on the tape, Eric B and Rakim’s ‘Follow the Leader’ was the first video ever to be played on Yo! MTV Raps when it first premiered in 1988. The tape features some of Kayper’s favorite tracks like, ‘Ladies First’ by Queen Latifah and Monie Love, “. As a female, I love that track, Queen Latifah kills it with the line: ‘Some think that we can’t flow, can’t flow / stereotypes they got to go got to go” says Kayper. It represents her fight against the stereotypes of being a female DJ. Another hot track on the mixtape is ‘The ? Remains’ by Gangstarr, which she describes as the ultimate track – “…any DJ worth his/her salt knows that it’s one of the best tracks to cut up; its almost like it was made for it” says Kayper. It also features classic tracks like ‘OPP’ by Naughty By Nature, ‘Bring the Pain’ by Method Man and ‘Mama Said Knock You Out’ by LL Cool J. If you’ve never heard these tracks, then consider yourself in class as they are some of the classics that Kayper is also known to rock during her club gigs.

As it turns out 25 tracks wasn’t enough for Kayper. She says this isn’t the only Yo! mixtape she’s going to do, in fact this is just the first in a continuing series. Lucky for us Kayper says, “It’s impossible to put all my favorite tracks onto one mixtape.”

This mixtape is for those of you who want to take it back to the days of old skool hip hop and if you don’t remember those days, well then it’s time to get familiar! “It represents the golden era that doesn’t exist anymore,” says Kayper. “If you missed that era you really missed out. Younger kids need to realize that there’s a whole big chunk of hip hop that they’ve missed out on.”

Click here to hear the fresh to death mixtape in its entirety – class is in session bitches!

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
^^ Its not back, shes just released a mixtape/album by the same name influenced by the show and featuring music from that era.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.