Digital Underground’s Young Mass Enters Talks With Suge Knight For Sophomore CD

Rahim

VIP Member
Staff member
Hip-hop artist Derrick “Young Mass” Stanton is in talks with Death Row CEO/Co-founder Marion “Suge” Knight to act as executive producer on the follow-up to his 2008 independently released self-titled debut.

The title of the upcoming new album, which is scheduled for release early 2009, the Prodigal Son, with the first single off the new album being titled "Free" (Available at MySpace.com/MassterPiece). The album features the likes of Shock G, Dotrix 4000, Metaphysical, Ace The General, and newcomer Play B.

After several phone conversations, Knight and Mass were able to meet on May 1st at downtown San Diego’s Club Aubergine during a spot performance by R&B singer Ray J. The two connected immediately after discussing Mass’ current album, upcoming album, and tails of trial and tribulation Mass has been through in the music business at the ripe age of only 21.

First issue on the agenda was the problem that many of Mass’ masters are being “bogarted” by several studios he recorded at over his five-year recording career with Digital Underground. Various songs had to be withheld from Mass’ self-titled debut album, due to the poor quality of the copies in Mass’ possession. Several of the songs in question would make welcome additions to Mass’ new Prodigal Son project, including tracks with Digital Underground front man Shock G, with whom Mass retains a “crazy uncle/nephew” relationship.

Most recently, Mass was surprised but elated when he found out his current hit song “Blue Skyy” is the lead single on Digital Undergrounds new album ..Cuz A D.U. Party Don’t Stop!! which was released nationally last week via Jake Records.

Second subject of interest was the disrespect Knights former artist Dr. Dre, and the Aftermath staff showed for Mass’ musicianship. After his employment at the Dr.Dre owned RockHardBody Total Fitness gym, Mass was invited into Aftermath’s studio's. After laying down some of his best lyrical work, Mass was unexplainably black balled from the studio.

Mass has recently composed an unforgiving “Diss Record” which expresses his ill feelings toward the way he was treated by Dre and the Aftermath staff after his recording sessions. “I must air niggas out” says Mass “We are all men and dope musicians! Karma swings around regardless of who a mutha fucka is… Dre, Jay-Z, Pac, BIG, them, me, who ever. Every label has felt the karma for being on top and treating niggas like shit. Ruthless, Deathrow, Badboy, Murder Inc., now the Math (Aftermath) has to feel it.”

Young Mass was due to meet with Knight in L.A. to demo tracks from his new Prodigal Son project, but the unfortunate May 10th assault of Knight at Shag Nightclub in Hollywood has delayed the meeting. Currently the demo session has been pushed back to late June. Mass insists, “If my big homie Suge can lend me some assistance on these issues, and the new album, my skills will handle the rest!!!” - Keith Woods

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.