Diddy bringing Raisin to the big screen

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Sean "Diddy" Combs’ Broadway run as Walter Lee Younger in A Raisin in the Sun apparently left him wanting more. The rap mogul will portray the character again in a new adaptation he’s bringing to the big screen next year.

"I'm going to do it differently than anybody can expect me to do it," Diddy told MTV Monday at a dinner celebrating Time magazine's list of the 100 most influential people.

Sidney Poitier starred in the play’s first feature film version in 1961.With comparisons to the original film inevitable, Diddy says he’s planning a performance that will leave film audiences in shock and awe.

"I'm going to get raw and ready, do some hard work for this,” he tells MTV. “I'm really stripping myself down. I'm moving out of my house and into a studio apartment, and I'm not going to have a Blackberry or a cell phone."

In Raisin, Walter Lee Younger struggles with the American dream – first lacking enough money for his goals, then having too much, thanks to a life-insurance policy payoff from his late father.

"This is something that is so important to my people, African-Americans," Diddy said. "It's about the struggle, and wanting to be somebody, wanting something better for your life, and this is something that everybody can relate to all around the world."

Raisin is scheduled to start shooting in Toronto in November.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.