"Day 2 Day Chit-Chat" forum in Ourblock plz :D

Hey Ruk, can u add a General Chit-Chat section in Our Block, cuz i know when im at work i just refresh our block every minute or so, so if i had a lil general chitchat section i'd be happy and maybe a few other ppl, i'd be willing to mod it

Preach

some sort of 2pacboard java chat implemented in the board could be kinda cool. i dunno how much resources it takes up though.

Rizzle said:
some sort of 2pacboard java chat implemented in the board could be kinda cool. i dunno how much resources it takes up though.
Java chat sounds cool, but I wonder if it takes up gigabytes (Webpage bandwith) with the text chat. I have never seen this forum go over its alloted bandwith so it is a plus. Only time will tell.

Get In The Van I Have Candy said:
Java chat sounds cool, but I wonder if it takes up gigabytes (Webpage bandwith) with the text chat. I have never seen this forum go over its alloted bandwith so it is a plus. Only time will tell.
Java IRC room would not use site bandwidth,since the room is actually on the irc server. so that could be an option

bigmack said:
Java IRC room would not use site bandwidth,since the room is actually on the irc server. so that could be an option
Nah man I know that. I thought he wanted to integrate the servers bandwith with the java chat (I have seen them, very few), but come to think about it youre idea makes alot more sense. I completly forgot about an java irc room.

Dave D said:
I like the idea of some sort of Java/Irc chat thing, but how many people would actually use it?
I think people will use it but eventually it will die out. The good thing about an IRC ava room is that don't need to install any third party software other than having java enabled and updated.

Preach

the idea i had was an option in the quicklinks menu that would either take you to an own page with a java chat client, or pop up a little window with one. for the sake of professionality, i don't think this forum should use some half-ass click-and-play javascript, but one that was customized to go with the layout. first and foremost i don't know how experienced mike is with customizing a java applet, nor do i think he has the time to do so.

when i talked about resources i didn't mean the bandwidth it would use, but the actual server resources it would take up. as in use of ram and cpu power. maybe the server wouldn't be able to handle it because like i said, i don't know if a java applet would take up a significant amount of cpu power and memory.

if this idea is too much work and too little gain to put in motion, a forum where a post doesn't add to your post count could be an idea. shit, it might even take some freeposting away from the remaining forums because people could post as much as they wanted in there. if people truly don't care about their post counts as they state, they would have no reason to freepost.

anyway, it was just an idea :)

edit: as far as it being used goes, i think at first everyone would use it, then it would die out, and eventually people would check by now and then. it would be a nice way to get to know members on a more personal level because you could have discussions and chats moreso than on the forums.

tHuG $TyLe

Staff member
^i think so,

Chit-Chat section, like a shoutbox? Over at Gworld they had it, it seemed okay but made the site run slow so they removed it. Hip Hop Nation has a shoutbox also, but it dead more than half the time.

it would be dead most of the time anyway, i rarely see more then 5 people in OurBlock at the same time.

well if there was one in very main forum ppl in the forum a tthat same time could comment and talkin about shit whats in thath thread i reckon it cud work well, i wud also maybe stop random posts in other ppls threads

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.