CunninLynguists - A Piece of Strange

roaches

The promo's out there.

You can download the first single, "Caved in" featuring Cee-lo, at qn5.com/katrina/.

Tracklist:
1. Where Will You Be?
2. Since When
3. Nothing to Give
4. Caved in ft. Cee-lo
5. Hourglass
6. Beautiful Girl
7. Inhale (Interlude)
8. Brain Cell
9. America Loves Gangsters
10. Never Know Why ft. Immortal Technique
11. The Gates ft. Tonedeff
12. Damnation (Interlude)
13. Hellfire
14. Remember Me (Abstract/Reality)
15. What'll You Do?
16. The Light

Apparently, it's a concept album - CL are releasing a DVD next year, and this album is meant to be played while listening to it. Thankfully, they don't force the concept down our throats with skits or anything. I hope the DVD is animated - the cover art is dope.

The beats: All Kno, of course
Rhymes: Almost all Deacon. Kno hops on here and there. Immortal Technique has a wack verse. Tonedeff's delivery is annoying on his appearance.

They're really showing off their influences on this album. UGK and Goodie Mob are referred to on choruses, etc. The production is basically a tribute to mid-90s ONP. There' s even a Big Rube impersonation.

There is also some chipmunk soul here and there.

Their usual humor is gone on this album.

I haven't digested it yet, but I think this is a very good record. They've gotten better with each album. Kno killed it on the beats - if there was any justice in the world, he'd be Danger Mouse.

Anyone else heard it yet? Thoughts?

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
I saw the promo out there but, I decided to wait because I don't want it to ruin my enjoyment, for lack of a better word. I find it hard to believe that Deff's delivery is annoying on the track, as his delivery is what I like about him. It could be just your personal taste, but I'll wait and see it. What was Sloppy Seconds then, if this is their album? Was it like a compilation?

PuffnScruff

i haven't heard it yet,but i've started to become a fan and check out as much of their music as i can ever since i learned that one of the guys is from the next town over from where i live now. the concept and dvd thing sounds cool. i'm looking forward to this.

roaches

I find it hard to believe that Deff's delivery is annoying on the track, as his delivery is what I like about him.
He changed up his delivery on the song. I think it's part of the conceptual thing. My guess is he's rapping from the grave or something. I'm slowly making sense of the concept of the album, I think. It's worse on his first verse than it is on his second.

What was Sloppy Seconds then, if this is their album? Was it like a compilation?
Both of those are compilations. There's some good stuff on them, but I haven't listened thoroughly.

I never checked there stuff out before but i downloaded this album and i liked it. Only listened to it once so far but it was good from what I heard. The producting was real good. Do you know when the cd comes out? And where i can order it online, since i couldnt find it on amazon.

Never really got into them prior to hearing the advance, but this has some excellent stuff on it. Can't find a weak or below average beat on it, and I love the added seriousness and somber mood of the record. "Beautiful Girl", "Caved In" and "Nothing to Give" have been on repeat recently...

7 Syns

roaches, mind giving a short review? Im interested in purchasing the album but want a little stamp of approval first.

peace.

I've heard this album. i like it a lot. production is very good. very laid back beats. easy to listen to. i can listen to all the tracks without skipping.

Although, that tag sometimes gets annoying.

its a good album, got some definite gems on there. i enjoyed their will rap for food and southern underground releases... tracks like hold the mic like a memory... shit is classic.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.