Conversation time, topic is "Hip-Hop Groups" are they slowly becoming a dying breed?

7 Syns

Hip-hop has always had tremendously talented groups, ever since the genre first burst into the scene. Be it with the N.Y. forefathers whom joined to become the legendary Juice Crew, the revolutionary Public Enemy or the highly controversial N.W.A.. We've witnessed talented emcee's grip mics and their music achieve successful heights. But as the days pass by, I start to see that less groups are coming through in the game. I think it's due to the fact that a solo artist has more in it, slightly better deals and more endoresments. Higher piece of the pie and what-so.

But with so much talented come and gone, will we ever see such talents as A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, The Pharcyde, Digital Underground, Wu-Tang Clan, Goodie Mob and so forth? Does anyone here believe that infact the groups thing is becoming a thing of the past? And whats your thoughts on the whole spectrum? Discuss.

peace.

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
Why not add 2 extra paragraphs and make this into a proper article for the site? :D

I think a lot of it has to do with egos and wallets. Solo acts get more fame and money.

ARon

Throught out history groups have not been as successful, as in, one man isn't making as much money. Also, the groups that we consider great were in it for a collective effort, they all were about one thing. Nowadays we got all these ego's and so forth. So yeah i would think they are dissapearing right in front of us. Even some of the groups we have today, ie. Bone Thugs and Harmony, are breaking up. Talents collide and can't coherse. But i think thats why i love a group so much, a collective effort of music. "Two emcees can't occupy the same place at the same time" comes to mind.

Hot

Its true that were definately not gettin any new groups shinin`. Even G-Unit are gettin money on the side by doing solo albums.

Oh well *Puts on a Roots album* ;)

linx

Staff member
Rukas said:
Why not add 2 extra paragraphs and make this into a proper article for the site? :D

I think a lot of it has to do with egos and wallets. Solo acts get more fame and money.
:thumb:

7 Syns said:
But with so much talented come and gone, will we ever see such talents as A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, The Pharcyde, Digital Underground, Wu-Tang Clan, Goodie Mob and so forth? Does anyone here believe that infact the groups thing is becoming a thing of the past? And whats your thoughts on the whole spectrum? Discuss.

peace.
Groups are still around, they are just promoted differently. Instead of it being a group (and fans being able to tell the difference between the artists) it's "Nelly & the St. Lunatics" or "Eminem & D12", "50 Cent & G-Unit", "Ludacris and DTP", and to a lesser extent, "Beanie Sigel & State Property", "Nas & The Bravehearts" and etc. I think the main artist of the group likes the idea of a group album. They get to keep their name out there without having to put together 16 solo songs. The groups like it because it gives them a chance to be heard.

But no matter what group it is, big egos always seem to prevail (see: Bone Thugs, DPG, Geto Boys, NWA, Eric B. & Rakim). But as long as 1 artist has 3-5 friends who think they can rap, I think we will see mediocre groups, with mediocre hits on mediocre albums.

That probably didn't answer any of your questions though.

CalcuoCuchicheo

Little Miss Vixen
I basically agree with what Hostile Apostle said.

Groups have mutated into a *insert star name* & *a group of associates the star name has brought along to give money and/or enhance their credibility*

ARon

Those aren't groups though, im talkin each person on every track, that is a group. Lets jsut say your not a group if it has to be, This artist "ft. Him". If your "group member" has to be featured on a track, you are not in a group.

i wouldn't say it's a dying breed. i think it's just that no one is doing it at the moment. or rather nobody MTV or whatever wants to show is doing it, except for outkast.

as for the "artist name" & "group name", that's just a case of publicity. it's something both parties use to get people to listen to the group. or rather the group "artist" discovered and has signed to his own label to make his own money.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.