Common Embraces His Inner Bad Boy

Rahim

VIP Member
Staff member
LOS ANGELES - In the volatile world of hip-hop, he's an activist, artist and pacifist.

So why does Common get such a charge from inhabiting killers, thugs and all-around evil hombres in his films? Because it's make-believe, people. And because the rapper, born Lonnie Rashid Lynn, Jr., has an inner bad-ass too.

"I told my acting teacher I want to do some dark roles because I'm always viewed as the poet-conscious, loving guy. That's who I am, that's the core of me. But I felt there were some darker things that could be expressed," he says during round-table interviews.

Thus far he has portrayed the bodyguard of mob snitch Jeremy Piven in Smokin' Aces, a member of Denzel Washington's criminal clan in American Gangster, and a hood who menaces Keanu Reeves in the now-playing police thriller Street Kings.

Add to this the role of "The Gunsmith" in this summer's graphic novel extravaganza Wanted with Angelina Jolie and James McAvoy and it would appear the 36-year-old performer has already attained a considerable measure of "bad-assedness." Maybe too much so, he says.

"I'm looking forward to playing something lighter -- maybe a priest or a banker."

And while he recognizes there's no shortage of rappers-turned-actors these days, Common insists he's sincere in his ambitions.

"I love the process of auditioning because it's such a humbling experience. I wanted to express myself in new ways artistically and it had to be something I was passionate about. I took some acting courses and was so enthused about it, I couldn't wait until the next acting class. I am discovering a lot of things about myself as I'm acting."

For example, in order to research Street Kings, he ventured far from the glamorous digs of Beverly Hills and West Hollywood, and into the gritty neighborhoods portrayed in the film - albeit within reason. "I didn't actually get an apartment there, but I did do what I call touching down with the people there."

His experience filming Wanted was markedly more light-hearted. Recently he found himself reshooting a scene in a car with Morgan Freeman. The pair play mysterious assassins who entangle McAvoy in their bullet-riddled realm. "I was driving and he was in the backseat - it was a reverse of Driving Miss Daisy. I was driving Mr. Freeman," he says, laughing. "All I can do is smile ... It's a dream to be sitting across the table doing a scene with Denzel Washington, or to do a reshoot with Morgan Freeman."

Next up may be a part in the big-budget Justice League of America movie that Warner Bros. is hoping to fast-track intro production by mid-summer, for release next year. If the project goes ahead, Common would star as ring-wielding superhero Green Lantern. Should it collapse, he has no shortage of other projects to occupy his time -- not the least of which is this June's album Invincible Summer. Additionally, he is a clothing designer (specifically a line of hats), the founder and president of the Common Ground Foundation which helps children with AIDS and the author of children's books.

"I have a daughter who is 10 years old and I love the effect music and art can have on children - knowing that it really influences them and really impacts them. So I was like, 'Man, let me do these children's books'."

Source: Canoe.ca

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.