Classic Albums that weren't considered 'classic' when released

This means albums that eventually got the recognition they deserved, but were considered no good at the time. That DOESN'T mean albums that didn't sell well, and were appreciated by whoever did buy them (Illmatic).

The first one I think of is Biggie - Life After Death. Everybody talked about how commercial it was at the time, and now it seems most people accept it as classic material.

Alot of people call Reasonable Doubt a classic now, but when it first came out in 96', NOBODY was calling that shit classic.

I have never considered it a classic, and never will. Maybe a near-classic, but not a full blown classic like Illmatic, 7 Day Theory, Doggystyle, 36 Chambers, Aquemini, etc etc.....

saltynuts said:
Maybe people didn't consider them classics at the time because they hadn't withstood the test of time yet?
I suppose thats the case. But....

Chronic, Doggystyle, All Eyez On Me, Illmatic, 36 Chambers, Aquemini, etc were all being called classic from DAY ONE.

Some albums arent considered classic right away though, because they are so far ahead of their time. 7 Day Theory is a good example of this, as is Wu Tang Forever......when both of those first came out, they went over peoples heads because of the heavy knowledge contained on the albums.....cats were expecting another AEOM and 36 Chambers, respectively.....but eventually, people not only would come to respect them as classics, but even consider them better than their predecessors.

I definatly prefer 7 Day Theory over AEOM, and Wu Forever over 36 Chambers.

Hellrazor1978 said:
I suppose thats the case. But....

Chronic, Doggystyle, All Eyez On Me, Illmatic, 36 Chambers, Aquemini, etc were all being called classic from DAY ONE.

Some albums arent considered classic right away though, because they are so far ahead of their time. 7 Day Theory is a good example of this, as is Wu Tang Forever......when both of those first came out, they went over peoples heads because of the heavy knowledge contained on the albums.....cats were expecting another AEOM and 36 Chambers, respectively.....but eventually, people not only would come to respect themas classics, but even consider them better than their predecessors.

I definatly prefer 7 Day Theory over AEOM, and Wu Forever over 36 Chambers.
I agree

saltynuts said:
Maybe people didn't consider them classics at the time because they hadn't withstood the test of time yet?
thats true.
u cant call anything a classic the same year it comes out. like the people who were calling Get Rich Or Die Tryin classic.

Hellrazor1978 said:
I try to wait AT LEAST a couple years before I call an album classic. Replay value is extremely important, as is impact/influence.
exactly, and now that I think about it...

Eminem - Slim Shady LP, is an album that nobody called classic when it came out. It was just good for a laugh or something, and now people think of it as a real classic.

CalcuoCuchicheo

Little Miss Vixen
HellRazor1978 said:
Maybe a near-classic, but not a full blown classic like Illmatic, 7 Day Theory, Doggystyle, 36 Chambers, Aquemini, etc etc.....
You say 'full blown' but whilst Illmatic, Doggystyle & 36 Chambers are recognised by almost everybody as classics, there may be a larger margin of people who debate 7 Day Theory & Aquemini.

In regards to you later post, there are also many who would debate AEOM's 'classic status'.

stillkilluminati said:
exactly, and now that I think about it...

Eminem - Slim Shady LP, is an album that nobody called classic when it came out. It was just good for a laugh or something, and now people think of it as a real classic.
yea, definatly NOT a classic, but then again, I dont consider any of Em's albums to be classic material.

Classic is a word that is thrown around too much with albums nowadays.

"2Pacalypse Now" is a PERSONAL classic for me, but I wouldnt call it a outright hip hop classic as I would with alot of other albums. A classic should be something special, groundbreaking, and something that left a huge impact on the game.

Another album people are starting to call classic is 50's first album......I definatly dont agree with that though.

CalcuoCuchicheo said:
You say 'full blown' but whilst Illmatic, Doggystyle & 36 Chambers are recognised by almost everybody as classics, there may be a larger margin of people who debate 7 Day Theory & Aquemini.

In regards to you later post, there are also many who would debate AEOM's 'classic status'.
OMG, this guy again....stfu already.

Ive been listening to hip hop for a good 13-14 years now, and ive met very few people that dispute the classic status of AEOM and Aquemini.

7 Day Theory is also considered classic by most hip hop heads ive talked to also, though it is perhaps not as solidified as AEOM or Aquemini.

Quit saying stupid shit just to start arguments for the sake of it. :rolleyes:

HellRazor1978 said:
OMG, this guy again....stfu already.

Ive been listening to hip hop for a good 13-14 years now, and ive met very few people that dispute the classic status of AEOM and Aquemini.

7 Day Theory is also considered classic by most hip hop heads ive talked to also, though it is perhaps not as solidified as AEOM or Aquemini.

Quit saying stupid shit just to start arguments for the sake of it.
Why are you getting upset?

I think you'd struggle to find a point in my post where I was anything less than polite never mind where I attempted to start an argument.

I think you are the one who needs to shut the fuck up.

roaches

I don't like this thread title, but I understand the point. No need for semantics bickering.

On Biggie's second album - a lot of people really did love this album when it came out. You could hear it being banged everywhere. You could hear a good amount of the album without actually buying it. Was it a classic, or something similar? No double-disc album in hip-hop is. I don't think it's status is inflated nowadays, though. In fact, I bet people like it less than they did before, since they've gotten over it.

The same goes for AEOM, though I think AEOM is held in stronger regard than LAD is today.

Some albums that've benefited from revisionism, though:
- Reasonable Doubt
-
Beanie Sigel's first LP
- Nas's second, and probably third (you people disgust me)
- The second/third-string Boot Camp albums
- Rakim's solo albums

roaches said:
I don't like this thread title, but I understand the point. No need for semantics bickering.

On Biggie's second album - a lot of people really did love this album when it came out. You could hear it being banged everywhere. You could hear a good amount of the album without actually buying it. Was it a classic, or something similar? No double-disc album in hip-hop is. I don't think it's status is inflated nowadays, though. In fact, I bet people like it less than they did before, since they've gotten over it.

The same goes for AEOM, though I think AEOM is held in stronger regard than LAD is today.

Some albums that've benefited from revisionism, though:
- Reasonable Doubt
-
Beanie Sigel's first LP
- Nas's second, and probably third (you people disgust me)
- The second/third-string Boot Camp albums
- Rakim's solo albums
I dont know about that.

AEOM and LAD are both still considered classic by most.....from what ive seen at least.

hell, they're even both still on the catalog charts 8-9 years after their release.....I think AEOM has charted for like 460 consecutive week or something like that. That is UNREAL, especially for a hip hop album. Id say that makes a very strong case that the album is classic......since people are still buying it and playing it so many years after its release, making it stand the test of time. Plus if you take into account the impact it had when it came out.

same with LAD, which has charted somewhere around 350 weeks.

Hellrazor1978 said:
I dont know about that.

AEOM and LAD are both still considered classic by most.....from what ive seen at least.

hell, they're even both still on the catalog charts 8-9 years after their release.....I think AEOM has charted for like 460 consecutive week or something like that. That is UNREAL, especially for a hip hop album. Id say that makes a very strong case that the album is classic......since people are still buying it and playing it so many years after its release, making it stand the test of time. Plus if you take into account the impact it had when it came out.

same with LAD, which has charted somewhere around 350 weeks.
I believe you on the weeks thing, but where you get the info...sounds interesting...

how about
notorious BIG - ready to die
mos def and talib kweli - blackstar
DMX - It's Dark and Hell is Hot
Raekwon-Only Built_4_Cuban_Linx
Redman-Whut_Thee_Album

are any of those considered classic now? or classic then?

the definition of classic is still changing to me, with ppl on this board calling albums like GRODT and the documentary classic already

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.