Charlize Theron produces hip-hop documentary

This week Charlize Theron premiered East of Havana in Texas, a documentary on Cuban hip-hop which was produced by the Oscar winning actress.

She collaborated with directors Juaretsi Saizabitoria, Emilia Menocal and producer Juan Carlos Saizabitoria and financed the entire project. The documentary examines the life and times of three Cuban rappers attempting to make a break into the music industry. It offers insights into the politics of the business, as well as the hardships of poverty.

“These people have been so incredibly passionate about this project that I really never had a moment of doubt to throw some money into escrow and do this," Theron told reporters. "I really thought where there's passion, there's going to be an incredible story. It's been a really long journey, but I'm very proud to be here tonight."

East of Havana premiered at the South by Southwest film festival. It is scheduled to screen again at the Paramount Theatre March 18th.

Charlize Theron has been in over twenty films and won an Oscar for playing America’s most notorious female serial killer in Monster. Her latest movie, Aeon Flux, is screening worldwide.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online