Cassidy jailed for manslaughter

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Rapper Cassidy has been convicted of involuntary manslaughter and aggravated assault after a man was shot dead behind his house in Philadelphia.

Cassidy - real name Barry Reese - was grossly negligent for supplying guns that killed Desmond Hawkins, Judge Jane Cutler Greenspan told him. He was sentenced to eleven-and-a-half to 23 months in prison, although he has been in custody since June.

Prosecutors said Reese, 23, had stored the guns in expectation of a shoot-out. Four different guns, including an assault rifle, had been used in the incident in an alleyway behind Reese's home on 15 April 2005, police said. Investigators found ammunition for an AK-47 and other weapons inside the rapper's home, which he shared with his girlfriend and two-year-old son.

"You could be a leader in the community," Judge Greenspan said. "All those guns - that's why Desmond is gone now, because of all those guns."

Witnesses said Mr Hawkins, 22, had gone to Reese's home to act as a peacemaker after he and his friends had got into an argument with Reese and his friends.

"It's a tragic situation for me too," Reese told the court.

"I didn't set up for this to happen. Desmond Hawkins was my friend, one of my closest friends."

Reese's debut album Split Personality peaked at number two in the US, and featured the single "Hotel" featuring R Kelly. His follow-up album was called I'm A Hustla. His managers want him back to work on a third album.

"He's a natural performer. Very charismatic. We think he could be multi-platinum," said Emio Zizza of J Records.

Man hes always in trouble... something doesnt sound right about this case tho, theres something we're not being told about cassidy and desmonds relationship, and why the guy came to his house.

Witnesses said Mr Hawkins, 22, had gone to Reese's home to act as a peacemaker after he and his friends had got into an argument with Reese and his friends.

well i guess this is why, hawkins came to his house....

SiGh

Who's there?
Staff member
im glad hes gittin out in 11 to 23 months..but dats all hes getting? cmon now. if it were sum1 else. theyd prolly git a handful of years.

SiGh said:
im glad hes gittin out in 11 to 23 months..but dats all hes getting? cmon now. if it were sum1 else. theyd prolly git a handful of years.
America for ya. $ can get u ANYTHING.

Funny how his record label wants him back so fast, they just dont seem to care about what he does in his personal life, as long as his adding to the labels back account, all is well. America again.

SiGh said:
Involuntary manslaughter seems like a harsh charge to me. If you keep 4 guns in a house though you gotta be lookin for trouble.

Mr.Deuce

Mr.Deuce Wigalow: Male E-Gigolo
i never was a cassidy-fan but i still feel sorry for that guy,man..dats fucked up..hope he gets out sooner as possible

Damn, seems like a pretty harsh sentence. But then again the man could have been alive had the guns not been there.
At least he wasn't convicted of murder.

RIP

EDouble

Will suck off black men for a dime
DrugBa11ad said:
If he didn't commit the fucking murder, he just "had the guns", and hes getting nearly 2 years in jail?
basicaly

edit: "Cassidy was convicted of one count of involuntary manslaughter, a misdemeanor; two counts of aggravated assault, both felonies; and possession of an instrument of crime."

& they gonna include all the months hes been locked up (since june) n the sentence - so possibility he's out in a few. :thumb: theysaid defense/prosecuters were 'satisfied' with the rulin, even though the prosecution was lookn for 1st degree murder. (said that witnesses fell thru

Pittsey said:
Prosecutors said Reese, 23, had stored the guns in expectation of a shoot-out.

"It's a tragic situation for me too," Reese told the court.
Too bad. Kinda asking 4 trouble when you're anticipating a shoot out, heh. Look to me like he got what's coming to him. maybe the judgement is a little harsh, maybe not, but he's a stupid shit for this so who cares.

eh.. not that i dont feel for the guy.. but i dont think his sentence is harsh at all i think he got it easy and hes lucky.. alot of my friends have gotten more time for crimes less serious than this.. considering the fact that someone died as a result of the shoot out

Emma said:
please tell me he won't release records whilst he's in jail - spare my ears :)
damn i havent seen a post from you in mad long and all of a sudden you pop up in here lol. i gotta agree though, i dont wanna hear that shit. the song's shyne recorded in jail were terrible.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.