Cassidy In Major Car Accident, In Critical Condition

Rapper Cassidy In Critical Condition After Car Accident
10.05.2006 12:52 PM EDT

MC injured by truck swerving into oncoming traffic.

Photo: MTV News

Cassidy was involved in a serious car accident on Wednesday night in New Jersey.

The rapper was a passenger in an SUV en route to a studio in Yonkers, New York, when a U-Haul truck swerved into oncoming traffic and struck the SUV. The truck

crashed into the side of the vehicle that Cassidy was sitting in, according to a J Records spokesperson and members of Cassidy's camp.

Cassidy was rushed to the hospital, suffering a fractured skull. A large number of bones in the left side of his face were also broken, according to his people. Cassidy is in critical condition, is said to be breathing on his own and is undergoing a CAT scan. None of the four other passengers in the vehicle were injured.

Swizz Beatz, currently in Los Angeles, talked about the accident on radio station Power 106 on Thursday (October 5), asking listeners to pray for his friend and collaborator. Cassidy has been working on his third album for Swizz's Full Surface label, which is affiliated with J Records, for the past several months.

The rapper was released from prison in March after serving eight months. He had been convicted of involuntary manslaughter and other charges stemming from the 2005 shooting death of Desmond Hawkins (see "Cassidy Released From Jail After Serving Eight Months").

MTV News will have more on this story as further details become available.

— Shaheem Reid

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1542435/20061005/cassidy.jhtml?headlines=true

Casey

Staff member
Melted One said:
Karma is a bitch.
I was just about to say that, lol. I was gonna say, between the shooting case and this, this dude musta done some foul shit. karma is catching up with him for sure.

Because they hate, thats why they say that.

I hope dude gets better. I love his shit, and can't wait for his third album.

Let's just hope he recovers.

SiGh

Who's there?
Staff member
According to a representative from his label, Cassidy's condition has been upgraded from critical to stable, although he is still heavily sedated.

The Philadelphia rapper was badly hurt in a severe car accident around midnight Thursday

"He's no angel, but since he's been out of prison, he's been living the life of a God-fearing man. He's been trying to finish out this album." — A&R rep Grady Spivey morning, when he was traveling with three friends from New Jersey to Yonkers, New York, to continue recording his next album (see "Rapper Cassidy In Critical Condition After Car Accident"). Today, one of the passengers — Grady Spivey, Cassidy's A&R representative — told the tale of the near tragedy.

"We were on our way to pick up the producer Neo 'The Matrix,' listening to Cassidy music — he was freestyling, we were having a good time," Spivey said. "We were on Manhattan Avenue in Jersey City, and there comes a truck. I'm talking to Cassidy and we hear the driver say, 'Oh sh--, a truck!'

"It wasn't a U-Haul truck [as reported]," he noted. "It was a commercial truck, the size of a large U-Haul truck. This truck runs the red light, out of nowhere crosses the intersection outta control and crashes into the left side of our SUV vehicle, hitting from the back of the driver on down. Cassidy was seated directly behind the driver, so he got the full blunt-force impact."

In the wake of the accident, Spivey observed that most everyone in the car was shaken up, but not badly hurt. When he turned to look at Cassidy, he saw that the MC was not in his seat. He was horrified to find that Cass was actually propelled from the left side of the second row of seats to the right side of the third row.

"That's why he has a fractured skull and broken bones in his face — he was thrown from his seat," Spivey said. "I was bleeding all over myself. I jumped out the car and saw him laying there. I picked him up, there was no life, no movement in his body. I put him on the seat and immediately called 911. I was feeling panic, feeling nervous, but I'm a spiritual man and God put calm over my body."

When the police arrived, Spivey was clutching Cassidy, trying to keep him alive. "He started choking on his blood and vomit and I turned him on his side so he wouldn't choke," he said. "Fortunately enough, he is living. God allowed all four of us to live."

Spivey also wanted to clear up rumors that there were any drugs or alcohol in the SUV carrying Cassidy: He says there were none. In fact, he said that Cassidy was on a straight-and-narrow path before the accident — that spending time in jail earlier this year helped change his friend.

"He's no angel, but since he's been out of prison, he's been living the life of a God-fearing man and fully trying to live that lifestyle out," Spivey explained (see "Cassidy Released From Jail After Serving Eight Months"). "He's been focused with his family, his son, his fiancee. He's not even out there like that. He's been in the studio working, trying to finish out this album."

Spivey says Cassidy has nearly completed the LP. "This album was showing his growth and development, showing creativity," he said. "The majority was done on his own. Swizz Beatz and myself didn't even have that much influence on this album like we did on previous albums. He was taking it to his next level, telling about all his life's experience from the prison — being a 24-year-old man locked up with murderers and having everything stripped away — to finding God.

"It's gonna be an album that people would love to hear," he continued, looking ahead to the future. "He's not on his punch lines as much, but he's still witty and clever. He's developing into that next artist. He has collaborations, everything is real clever from John Legend to Krayzie Bone to Eve. There's a couple of other surprises on there. He dug real deep and gave more of himself."

Yesterday, Cassidy underwent a CAT scan and doctors found no problems with his brain activity, according to his label. They also said his injuries were not life-threatening.
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1542598/20061006/cassidy.jhtml?headlines=true

A little update on his situation, I'm glad he's doing better with NO damage to his brain and him moving from critical to STABLE condition.

Oh and I didnt wanna post MTV news in the SH news thread--so posted in here.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.