Call for hip-hop to ban offensive words.

ill-matic

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=89115

Call for hip-hop to ban offensive words
Tuesday Apr 24 14:24 AEST
Prominent US hip-hop executive Russell Simmons recommended Monday eliminating the words "bitch," "ho" and "nigger" from the recording industry, considering them "extreme curse words".

The call comes less than two weeks after radio personality Don Imus' nationally syndicated and televised radio show was cancelled amid public outcry over Imus calling a women's basketball team "nappy-headed hos".

Simmons, co-founder of the Def Jam label and a driving force behind hip-hop's huge commercial success, called for voluntary restrictions on the words and setting up an industry watchdog to recommend guidelines for lyrical and visual standards.

"We recommend that the recording and broadcast industries voluntarily remove/bleep/delete the misogynistic words 'bitch' and 'ho' and the racially offensive word 'nigger'," Simmons and Benjamin Chavis, co-chairmen of the advocacy group, Hip-Hop Summit Action Network, said in a statement.

"These three words should be considered with the same objections to obscenity as 'extreme curse words'," it said.

Ho is slang for whore and commonly used in hip-hop music, while nigger, a derogatory term for blacks, is among the most highly charged insults in American culture. The slur "nappy", used by Imus, describes the tightly curled hair of many African Americans.

The statement changed course from another one by Simmons and Chavis dated April 13, a day after Imus' show was cancelled, in which they said offensive references in hip-hop "may be uncomfortable for some to hear, but our job is not to silence or censor that expression".

The Imus controversy stoked a debate in the US about how to deal with inflammatory words that are widely considered highly offensive but at the same time commonly and casually used in youth culture.

US black leaders such as Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson have led the charge to suppress offensive words while many artists have argued for freedom of expression.

New York City declared a symbolic moratorium on the so-called N-word in February.

"Our internal discussions with industry leaders are not about censorship. Our discussions are about the corporate social responsibility of the industry to voluntarily show respect to African Americans and other people of colour, African American women and to all women in lyrics and images," the statement from Simmons and Chavis said.

The network recommended the formation of a Coalition on Broadcast Standards that would consist of leading executives from music, radio and television.

oooh, clever offensive. i told you folks this was the beginning of the new attack on rap.

that "voluntary" shit might ride for a while, but all they need is the right mothafucka behind them and it will turn into a damn "law" or some shit. some kind of thing where there are consequences for violating whatever they deem "unfit."

i'm just surprised that Russel Simmons of all people supposts this idea. he of all people should know, NO RAP ARTIST is gonna let a mothafucka, or "the system", tell them what they can and can't say. if defies the very motivation that birthed rap in the first place, freedom of expression.

not too mention freedom of speech. i mean, c'mon. it's the first fucking one on the list.

i wouldn't be surprised if Russel ended up being a deemed a "sell out" once all this is over. he might turn out to be apart of the very "machine" that wouldn't have given him a chance to let his artist, or his own brother, be heard all those years ago.

or maybe he'll do something completely different. hmmmmm....

(grabs popcorn and continues to watch)

Preach

since none of this affects me (i mean im not a girl so i dont get the ho thing, and i certainly dont get n-bombs dropped on me) my opinion doesnt really matter, but i'd say it'd suck to ban those words. maybe it's different for people who are touched by this.

PuffnScruff

tax dollars? what does that have to do with this?

it is a slippery slope. nobody should be in charge of telling anyone what they can or can not say. but if hitlery gets elected we can pretty much expect that along with regulating the internet

and why do "blacks" need "leaders" ? sharpton and jacksons are the worst people to lead anybody

FroDawgg

simmons is not telling artists they cannot use the words. he is just saying the outlets (and maybe the artists, eventually) need to be more responsible. he is saying that EDITS of songs that are played on radio and tv that are easily accessible to anyone need to be more extensively edited. he is in no way saying that if you are paying, such as CDs, mp3s, or satellite radio, that you will be getting an edited track. it's the same as there being age-limits (though not really enforced) on parental advisory CDs. do you all think that is a violation of freedom of speech?

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.