Busta Rhymes and how he has stayed relevant.

7 Syns

The thing with Busta Rhymes is, he is smart when it comes to hip-hop. He has riden on almost every fad that rap has had in recent times, kept himself out there with constant guest appearances which in turn made him have good relations with alot of artists, producers, executive's and etc.

It started when A Tribe Called Quest were coming through, the days when they along with Pharcyde, Hiero & De La were big favorites among hip-hop heads due to their mellow, laidback songs and conscious messages.

When the Wu-Tang Clan broke through with the whole gritty/raw feeling hip-hop, Busta slightly changed up his style up to accommondate for the change. He also got alot rowdier during his verses to accommondate for the Onyx movement. Ofcourse he was doing all this with the Leaders of the New School.

After Biggie came out and it was ok to have a little R&B flava on your albums, Busta changed it up once again. Hence the flow of how "The Coming" is. It's raw, it's loud yet it's mellow and has a slight R&B flava.

When Puffy started breaking through with Ma$e, during the whole jiggy/shinny suit era Busta again changed it up to cater. Then he changed it up again when Jay-Z and Timbalad respectively came into their own.

In the late 90's we saw Busta go slightly back into a raw sound thanks to DMX & the Ruff Ryders yet keep it smooth hustling thanks to Jay-Z's ever growing stature, but never really lost his roots with both the mellowness of A Tribe and the rowdiness of Onyx.

Early 00's he was meshing it out with all the new comers and jumping early onto the ever growing southern movement. Slowing his flow down, collaborating with many-a-southern rapper and using southern producers. However at the same time he was reaching out to some of the finest beatsmiths running the show on the eastcoast at the time like Just Blaze etc.

He was also building good relations with Dr. Dre, Scott Storch & Eminem. Now in 2005/2006 Busta is yet again staying in the shine and relevant by hooking up with the biggest movement in rap Interscope/Aftermath (shady & g-unit). Rapping alongside 50 Cent & G-Unit, aswell as Game, Eminem, borderline stars like Obie and proposed up and coming stars like Stat Quo.

In my view Busta can stay relevant for longer than LL Cool J has done while still maintaining his respect.

Sorry for the sloppy writing of this, but :thumb: to Busta Rhymes for being able to change with the times (fads).

peace.

7 Syns

S O F I S T I K said:
If the definition of "relevant" is the same as the definition of "chameleon", then, yes.
Chameleon? How? By being able to adapt to the ever changing market and business? I call that smarts, he didn't do an LL and completely flip his script either because he still makes good music. Sure he has bullshit aswell but most artists do, especially the ones with a large discography and songs done. He has always come through with great radio songs.

eg. "Woo-Ha", "Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See", "Dangerous", "Fire It Up", "Gimme Some Mo'", "Bussa Buss", "Break Ya' Neck" just to name a few. They are enough to crush whatever weak ones he had eg. "Make It Clap".

peace.

SiGh

Who's there?
Staff member
you can say hes relavant, but hes stuff isnt really that hot. I dont like anything he puts out. Maybe 1 or 2 songs once in a while. But his whole type of rapping i dont like. He should use the instruments to form his raps, and not rap over just some intruments. You know what I mean?

7 Syns said:
Chameleon? How? By being able to adapt to the ever changing market and business? I call that smarts, he didn't do an LL and completely flip his script either because he still makes good music. Sure he has bullshit aswell but most artists do, especially the ones with a large discography and songs done. He has always come through with great radio songs.

eg. "Woo-Ha", "Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See", "Dangerous", "Fire It Up", "Gimme Some Mo'", "Bussa Buss", "Break Ya' Neck" just to name a few. They are enough to crush whatever weak ones he had eg. "Make It Clap".

peace.
ll didnt really flip his script hes always been for the ladies (ladies love cool james) as for busta i like his stuff just as much as the next man but relevancy ? if hes really that relevant as you say why has he been waitin close to 3 years to drop his cd ?

Flipmo

VIP Member
Staff member
Id like to call him versatile before anything. There's not one style Busta can't do.

Apperently when he came to Montreal he did 'Break Ya Neck' 2 times faster than what you hear on the track. Then he asked the crowd: How was that? Wanna see it even faster? Then he did it even faster.

I love Busta's style. I've always been a huge fan.

Bobby Sands

Yea,Busta is a great rapper.He has a distinct voice which i like in a rapper.No one else really sounds like him.I cant waut for his new album.

i agree with you. and my favourite busta verse is definetly on Scenario with Tribe, but i think doing all the changing has caught up to him, i think no matter how much energy has puts into a track all his shit sounds kind of tired...

a

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.