Busta Rhymes, a great emcee who makes subpar records?

7 Syns

I won't front on my man Busta Buss, his a true legend in the game. Ever since he sparked the microphone on A Tribe's classic cut Scenario/(and the arguebly better remix) off their classic disc The Low End Theory, people knew homie had it in him to create a monsterous legacy. Amazingly it took him a couple of years of crazy appereances which are countless, self promotion and label/group dilemma's for his solo debut "The Coming" followed by the almost as good "When Disaster Strikes". Now, by far these are his best opus to date and the sad thing about it all is. 6 records deep into his career, he hasn't come close to The Coming or When Disaster Strikes.

Without a single doubt Busta produces some of the hottest singles out there, from "Woo Ha" to "Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See" and "Turn It Up". And ofcourse "Break Ya Neck", "Holla". And it's rare for an emcee to put more into his guest verses than into his own music, yet Busta continously does this. His rhymes on his records go from being straight brass bullyfoot raw to trash. His consistancy is pretty poor and in between them both "E.L.E. Extent Level Extinction and Anarchy" had about 6 to 7 songs which stood above the 'aiight' bar. The rest I felt like were especially made to be skipped or fillers. Alot of it lies with his beat selection, hook selection and just overall rhymes.

"Genesis", I felt was a more complete record then the previous 2 I just mentioned but still it had a shitload of filler and skipable material. And "It Ain't Safe No More" was about the same, with a lesser result. When Busta Rhymes tries to be mainstream, there's arguebly no better artist then him. He keeps in thoro and doesn't stray too far into the corniness which most mainstream emcee's be on. However when he tries to take it back and stay raw & underground, he's in my eyes failing miserably. But I still support him and buy his records, mostly due to the fact I love his style when he gets it right. It's original and it's on some pure emcee shit.

Hopefully in conclusion, this aftermath record will bring Busta Rhymes something his missed. Musical direction, now Busta Rhymes has forever had a scripted plot when it comes to his records. Hence all the names "The Coming", 'When Disaster Strikes', "Extent Level Extinction", 'Anarchy', "Genesis" & 'It Ain't Safe No More'. But as far as actual musical direction which is one of the most important things for a muscian, he seems lost. Dr. Dre is a master at directing artists, 80% of the time his been successful (which is impressive in this world). And by the sounds of the newely leaked "Ill Hurt You" it seems Busta Rhymes is on the right direction to dropping something we've all fiend for. A dope Busta record top to bottom, maybe even a classic (I won't call it yet however).

Basically I like Busta Rhymes and dig his style and 16's. But his records have been less then impressive so far and for an artist who's been there, done that and generally been in the game since '89 thats really disappointing. Atleast his somewhat consistant when it comes to 16's. Still though.

P.S. Ill Hurt You is pure dope. I'm amped.

opinions?

7 Syns aka. Quality

peace

yo syn, i agree - i was just thinkin the same thing the other day when i popped in Genesis. He is amazing, but i have always felt like his records overall are subpar. His singles are allways fire but overall his records some how fail to stand up next to his singles. Hopefully now with Aftermath, shit will change. One of buss' best deliveries of recent was on the 'Hail Mary' track at Ja.

Buss brings an element of fun back to hip hop at the same time as being straight fire.

nice topic, peace 7.

Flipmo

VIP Member
Staff member
Busta is the most energetic MC in the game right now. No one brings out more energy than him at this moment.

For those who've seen him in concert would know what I'm talking about.

FlipMo said:
Busta is the most energetic MC in the game right now. No one brings out more energy than him at this moment.

For those who've seen him in concert would know what I'm talking about.
man what about Chingy !!?

"cause i had to...." :D

Busta Rhymes When Diaster Strikes- The 2nd Cd i eva bought, I got this when i was in 3rd grade, been one of my favorite mcs ever since

i like some of his material but i cant pinpoint any of his complete cds, so i guess yeah the topic is right, that being said, bus at his 'subparness' is still not that bad compared to other mcs at their career's bad points. also would like this topic speaks for other rappers too ie jadakiss, fabolous(anyone agree) ludacris etc......feel free to add on.

Busta is pure talent and that is undisputed. He made a reputation for himself from his quality lyricism and not through disses etc. I agree his albums have been lacking but I would love to see him drop under a primo/kanye/J Blaze esque production team. With so many links I would have thought his album work would have thought his album work would have been of a higher standard.

Break ya neck was quality.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.