Break even Point

Before rappers went big!

Before these listed rapper got big, have they ever been underground kings such as papoose, Saigon or tech 9ne? What song made them mainstream in your view?

Biggie
Nas
x-zibit
Jay-z
Snoop
dre
Eminem
Wu-tang
Mobb deep
Ja rule
DMX

roaches

Biggie - He was a Stretch Armstrong show fixture, had a bunch of guest appearances and mixtape joints before he blew up. He started getting popular with the Mary J Blige and Craig Mack remixes, but "Juicy" is what blew him up.

Nas - Also a Stretch Armstrong fixture. He was down with Main Source and Wu-Tang. It Was Written blew him up. He was huge in the underground (see Illmatic)

Xzibit - Never a dominant figure in the underground. He was down with the Likwits. "What You See Is What You Get" and "Paparazzi" were underground hits. "Bitch Please" blew him up and put him into the mainstream.

Jay-Z - Rolled with Jaz, Big Daddy Kane, Mic Geronimo, Big L... Jay-Z was in the underground for a while. "Dead Presidents" got him a lot of shine for the Nas sample. "Ain't No Nigga" put him into the mainstream mix, but "Hard Knock Life" is what made him a star.

Snoop - Never was an underground star. No one had heard of him before "Deep Cover", and after that, well, was The Chronic.

Dr. Dre - He was obscure, and then there was NWA.

Eminem - He dominated on the battle circuit, rolled with the Outsidaz and Rawkus for a while. "My Name Is" is obviously what broke him out.

Wu-Tang - RZA and GZA both dropped solo shit that went nowhere. They got a lot of underground buzz with "Protect Ya Neck". RZA did the Gravediggaz shit. "C.R.E.A.M." blew them up.

Mobb Deep - they stayed underground. "Shook Ones, Pt. II" and "Quiet Storm" were popular songs, but who but hip-hop heads really remembers them? They never really had mainstream hits, though they've gone platinum, I'm pretty sure. I guess that's why they roll with 50 now.

Ja Rule - He was down with Mic Geronimo and Jay-Z. He caught mainstream hype with Jay-Z's "Can I Get A...", but he didn't blow up until that joint with Lil Mo.

50 - Probably one of the most popular underground rappers ever. "Wanksta" went from an underground "Hey Ya" to a mainstream hit, and then "In Da Club" blew him up.

DMX - I know he was on the scene, but don't know too much about what he was doing. He blew up with the Lox's help, then put them under Ruff Ryders. "Get At Me Dog" blew him up, but "Party Up" was his big hit.

roaches said:
Biggie - He was a Stretch Armstrong show fixture, had a bunch of guest appearances and mixtape joints before he blew up. He started getting popular with the Mary J Blige and Craig Mack remixes, but "Juicy" is what blew him up.

Nas - Also a Stretch Armstrong fixture. He was down with Main Source and Wu-Tang. It Was Written blew him up. He was huge in the underground (see Illmatic)

Xzibit - Never a dominant figure in the underground. He was down with the Likwits. "What You See Is What You Get" and "Paparazzi" were underground hits. "Bitch Please" blew him up and put him into the mainstream.

Jay-Z - Rolled with Jaz, Big Daddy Kane, Mic Geronimo, Big L... Jay-Z was in the underground for a while. "Dead Presidents" got him a lot of shine for the Nas sample. "Ain't No Nigga" put him into the mainstream mix, but "Hard Knock Life" is what made him a star.

Snoop - Never was an underground star. No one had heard of him before "Deep Cover", and after that, well, was The Chronic.

Eminem - He dominated on the battle circuit, rolled with the Outsidaz and Rawkus for a while. "My Name Is" is obviously what broke him out.

Wu-Tang - RZA and GZA both dropped solo shit that went nowhere. They got a lot of underground buzz with "Protect Ya Neck". RZA did the Gravediggaz shit. "C.R.E.A.M." blew them up.

Mobb Deep - they stayed underground. "Shook Ones, Pt. II" and "Quiet Storm" were popular songs, but who but hip-hop heads really remembers them? They never really had mainstream hits, though they've gone platinum, I'm pretty sure. I guess that's why they roll with 50 now.

Ja Rule - He was down with Mic Geronimo and Jay-Z. He caught mainstream hype with Jay-Z's "Can I Get A...", but he didn't blow up until that joint with Lil Mo.

50 - Probably one of the most popular underground rappers ever. "Wanksta" went from an underground "Hey Ya" to a mainstream hit, and then "In Da Club" blew him up.

DMX - I know he was on the scene, but don't know too much about what he was doing. He blew up with the Lox's help, then put them under Ruff Ryders. "Get At Me Dog" blew him up, but "Party Up" was his big hit.

i'll agree with most of this, except for Ja Rule. "Livin' it up" and/or "holla holla" blew him up. Venni Vetti Vicci was a dope dope album, but never got the credit it REALLY deserved.

EDIT : oh, and as for Snoop, i agree with your statement on his shit aswell, but Doggystyle is what really got him up there IMO

peace & blessings*

roaches

i'll agree with most of this, except for Ja Rule. "Livin' it up" and/or "holla holla" blew him up. Venni Vetti Vicci was a dope dope album, but never got the credit it REALLY deserved.
"Holla, Holla" was an urban hit, but it didn't cross over to the mainstream. VVV went platinum. The album after that went TRIPLE-platinum, thanks to "Put it on Me".

"Livin it Up" didn't do as well as other Ja Rule singles. "I'm Real" before it was a huge hit, and so was "Always On Time" after it, but Ja Rule + male R&B singer (Case, Bobby Brown...) = flop. But Ja Rule blew up well before "Livin' it Up".

And no doubt Doggystyle cemented Snoop Dogg's fame, but The Chronic is what made him a star.

roaches said:

thanx :thumb:

roaches said:
And no doubt Doggystyle cemented Snoop Dogg's fame, but The Chronic is what made him a star.
Exactly. The Deep Cover appearance & his work on The Chronic is what made people fiend for Doggystyle in the first place.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.