Black Moon - Enta Da Stage: The appreciation thread

Black Moon - Enta Da Stage

In 1993 the multi-layered world of edgy ghetto-speak had only just started to hijack the minds of the New York ghetto proletariat. Wu Tang Clan were in the course of being propelled to the apex of rap music and the Bedford-Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn was ablaze with whispers about the razor-sharp lyricism of a little known rapper labelled Biggy Smalls.

Perhaps it is because of the aforementioned reasons that upon the release of Enta Da Stage at the tail end of the 93' summer, Buckshot Shorty, 5Ft. Excellerator and DJ Evil Dee were overlooked by hip hop critics desperately searching for something to make the New York scene relevant again. Maybe those same critics just weren’t aware of quite how influential the album would prove to be but one way or another Enta Da Stage didn’t fully procure the props it was deserving of which is a shame since it’s one of the dopest hip hop Lp’s that will ever come out of New York

The uncompromisingly raw production is handled by The Beatminerz whose multi-layered swaths of vintage samples and deep drums propel Buckshot’s virtuosic yet freeform vocals. The beats drift languidly from sharp dissonance to pastel consonance, tethered with effortlessly altering inflection and ever changing internal rhyming structures with Kool G Rap inspired nihilism.

From the unruffled dropped tunings on the excellent Act like U Want It through to the dense low-end textured sampling on Shit iz real and the base heavy climatic finale of U Da Man, the tempo is arrested throughout. Each joint lurches along with a sparring cohesiveness complimented by tales of criminal adventurism and unfeigned street narratives demonstrating that many elements which purportedly made Illmatic original were in fact pre cursed by the lurid street imagery already prevalent on Enta Da Stage.

Unfortunately Black Moon will probably never again make an album to replicate the excellence of Enta The Stage. Their three subsequent efforts suffer from being too prosaic and straightforward, MC 5ft is under lockdown for the next seven years and the Boot Camp Clik show signs of stifling Buckshot’s creativity. Nonetheless, this does nothing to change the fact that Enta The Stage is pure fuego and should be remembered as being one of the most highly influential hip hop albums made.

Discuss.

roaches said:
How exactly was it influential?

And this thread isn't complete without mentioning the remixes.
- Contributed to the beginnings of a creolized subject position within hip hop.
- Sharply detailed visual narratives paved the path for rappers like Nas to drop Illmatic.
- The obvious influence of the Beatminerz production on subtereanean beats and the conception of the Boot Camp Clik.

We can argue over who should get credit for the New York Hip Hop Renaissance but Biggie’s suicidal thoughts and Wu Tang's boisterous thuggery both undoubtedly have their roots here, not to mention Noreaga, Mobb Deep etc..

With regard to the remixes, I purposely aimed to concentrate on the album in it's original form but feel free to thow your opinions of subsequent joints out there.

roaches

Contributed to the beginnings of a creolized subject position within hip hop.
This phrase is pretty suspect, but I won't get into that. Anyway, KRS-One much?

Sharply detailed visual narratives paved the path for rappers like Nas to drop Illmatic.
This is just flat-out wrong. There isn't much in the way of narrative at all on Enta da Stage, and the little there is hardly detailed. Buckshot had an ill flow, that's about it. And even if the rhymes on Enta da Stage qualified... Kool G Rap much?

The obvious influence of the Beatminerz production on subtereanean beats
This I can agree on, but I'd say the RZA was just as important, and the early underground sound wasn't so much inspired by the Beatminerz as much as it continued what the Beatminerz were doing (traditional, anachronistic beats that refused to bend to Dr. Dre's innovations).

and the conception of the Boot Camp Clik.
By this logic, Eminem's first album is influential because it lead to Eminem's fourth album.

We can argue over who should get credit for the New York Hip Hop Renaissance but Biggie’s suicidal thoughts
Yeah, I give Biggie credit. But Biggie and Puffy brought New York back by studying The Chronic and going for an R&B aesthetic. Biggie's hardcore shit was there to appease the traditional NY heads, and that audience existed before Black Moon.

and Wu Tang's boisterous thuggery both undoubtedly have their roots here,
The Wu? You've gotta be kidding - they dropped around the same time!

Most of the "remixes" *are* the original songs, if you recall. They got called the remixes because it'd be silly for the LP to have "remix" in half of the song titles.

This is just flat-out wrong. There isn't much in the way of narrative at all on Enta da Stage, and the little there is hardly detailed. Buckshot had an ill flow, that's about it. And even if the rhymes on Enta da Stage qualified... Kool G Rap much?
It’s a well known fact that NaS alludes to Kool G Rap in near enough every magazine interview but this doesn’t change the fact that the ethos in which Black Moon's narratives are encompassed bear more resemblance to Illmatic.

Nas - Source hype signed December 1994 "...I heard that Buck Em Down joint on the Black Moon album and knew I had to write a Represent."

"it's all about the blunts and how I lick it
Or how I shot a nigga in the mug
with the slug leavin white chalk all on a pitch black rug
You couldn't tell me other word to mother
When I was fifteen runnin around I was the real street lover
On the corner out shootin the dice
Layin up, gettin nice,
talkin bout a heist
GQ headin up to one-two-five
Push up on a shorty lookin live on the prize"

This I can agree on, but I'd say the RZA was just as important, and the early underground sound wasn't so much inspired by the Beatminerz as much as it continued what the Beatminerz were doing (traditional, anachronistic beats that refused to bend to Dr. Dre's innovations).
Yeah. I'm in agreement with this but I'd be inclined to say that whilst the Beatminerz didn't pioneer the sound but they certainly inspired a lot of cats to replicate it as did RZA with his ish.

By this logic, Eminem's first album is influential because it lead to Eminem's fourth album
How so? Buckshot signed the rest of BCC to Duck Down.

Yeah, I give Biggie credit. But Biggie and Puffy brought New York back by studying The Chronic and going for an R&B aesthetic. Biggie's hardcore shit was there to appease the traditional NY heads, and that audience existed before Black Moon.
Ready To Die is more of a deep urban blues record. Whilst people might have bought the album for the catchy radio fare, once they actually listened to it in its pained paranoid entirety fans were reintroduced to the unsettling joys of New York rap that was preceded by Enta The Stage. Of coure, I’m not negating the fact that the Chronic didn’t obviously influence the album but so did the Too Short persona rip off and a host of other factors including Black Moon who were probably the biggest proponents of the audience your referring to at the time.

The Wu? You've gotta be kidding - they dropped around the same time!
Well I should have been more precise in mentioning the members I was referring to but..

Masta Killa (the only member not already an experienced rapper at the time of the Wu’s formation and largely absent on 36 Chambers) when asked in an interview with The Source back in 94’ what inspired him to pick up the mic cited Who Got Da Props (1992) as his stimulation. U-God who was actually in jail when the first Wu Album dropped and grew up in the same hood as Buckshot even went as far to say that when he was locked up all he used to bump was Enta Da Stage. How much influience rubbed off on the remainder of the collective is a moot point but I'd be inclined to say that the aforementioned artists aren't the only ones.

Most of the "remixes" *are* the original songs, if you recall. They got called the remixes because it'd be silly for the LP to have "remix" in half of the song titles.
Correct but this thread is about the album that dropped on October 19, 1993.

one thing we can all agree on: this is a hands down classic album. in fact, all off the BCC debut albums (Nocturnal, Dah Shinin', Da Storm) were classics. i would even argue that Nocturnal and Dah Shinin' had better production. lyrically, though, Enta Tha Stage was easily the best of the BCC albums.

Hallbanger said:
one thing we can all agree on: this is a hands down classic album. in fact, all off the BCC debut albums (Nocturnal, Dah Shinin', Da Storm) were classics. i would even argue that Nocturnal and Dah Shinin' had better production. lyrically, though, Enta Tha Stage was easily the best of the BCC albums.

thats what i'm thinking FCK ALL THAT OTHER MESS ABOUT WHO DID WHAT WHEN WHERE HOW

EDouble

Will suck off black men for a dime
Lmao not really with topic but anybody else get reminded of this cd when seeinthe cover 2 Cooley High?

Its a good album.. I didnt buy it till like 2 years after it came out though and I dont think ive listened to it since like '96... Its still chillin in my cd rack...

EDouble said:
Lmao not really with topic but anybody else get reminded of this cd when seeinthe cover 2 Cooley High?
You talkin bout the movie? lol nah it dont remind me of it :laugh:

roaches

Nas - Source hype signed December 1994 "...I heard that Buck Em Down joint on the Black Moon album and knew I had to write a Represent."
Okay, but "Represent" is hardly a detailed narrative, and both it and "Buck Em Down" are pretty straightforward tracks that are hardly original. They're both great songs, and I can easily see Nas hearing a banger and deciding that he wanted to outdo it, but not in the way you were talking about earlier.

Ready To Die is more of a deep urban blues record. Whilst people might have bought the album for the catchy radio fare, once they actually listened to it in its pained paranoid entirety fans were reintroduced to the unsettling joys of New York rap that was preceded by Enta The Stage.
It was also preceded by a bunch of other albums. Enta da Stage is notable for what it did and when it did, but it was still a continuation of something that was already there. If Biggie was really following its statement, he'd have made an album that as a whole refused to accomodate the recent trends in hip-hop instead of what he actually made - a schizophrenic record that incorporated R&B and west coast stylings to remain marketable with a few street records to keep the traditionalists happy.

How much influience rubbed off on the remainder of the collective is a moot point but I'd be inclined to say that the aforementioned artists aren't the only ones.
Yeah, but without any other evidence all you have is the least important members of the Wu saying they liked Black Moon.

Correct but this thread is about the album that dropped on October 19, 1993.
If you say so. This brings something else to mind, though...

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.