Big L: Was this a diss to Mase?

I'm guessing it's probably not but I figure someone here would know for sure. This is from the Kay Slay freestyle off the Harlem's Finest mixtape: "You the type to go to jail for a petty caper/Then come home on good behavior, talkin' bout you no longer hard now/Cuz you a man of God now"

Now we all know Mase gave up rap to become a man of God (supposedly) and most people know this, but for those who didn't, Mase, Cam'ron and Big L were in a group called Harlem World in the early-mid 90's. Just curious to know if this was a diss or not

^^^Nope, L died in 99, Mase retired before that, just shortly after Big died. I was pretty sure it wasn't a diss and just some random line, but I thought maybe somebody knew something about it that I didn't

KrAzY:aka:AnDy

Under The Influence
Devious187 said:
^^^Nope, L died in 99, Mase retired before that, just shortly after Big died. I was pretty sure it wasn't a diss and just some random line, but I thought maybe somebody knew something about it that I didn't
Ma$e couldn't have retired in 97 (when big died) or 98 reason being is because all of his album "Welcome Back" he's talkin bout 5 years this, 5 years that... this is what i sound like after 5 years... etc...

ok then, that proves that A: I was wrong about it being a diss, and B: I was wrong about Mase retiring bfore L died. Shot down twice with one post lol

Not really, it's clear he's talking about mace, not Mase in that line. It's not as though I went looking for lines that could potentially be disses to Mase, I just happened to be listening to this track and noticed this line.

Devious187 said:
Not really, it's clear he's talking about mace, not Mase in that line. It's not as though I went looking for lines that could potentially be disses to Mase, I just happened to be listening to this track and noticed this line.
It's called a metaphor. That line is just like the Jay-Z line:
"I'm 'bout a dollar, what the fuck is 50 Cent?'"
They're exactly the same.

Not really. Once again it's quite clear that in that line, Jay is making reference to 50 Cent the rapper, not 50 cents in change. You could just see it as a metaphor, but to me it's clear what he meant. Whereas in the L line, at least to me, it's clear he's talking about mace and not Mase

its not that clear that he was talkin about 50 cent the rapper...

50 wasnt even known like he is now back then so most people thought he was talkin about actual money

2pacnbiggie said:
its not that clear that he was talkin about 50 cent the rapper...

50 wasnt even known like he is now back then so most people thought he was talkin about actual money
Jay-Z was for sure talking about 50 Cent. 50 came out with "How to Rob an Industry Nigga" which has a Jay-Z reference. The two ran into each other at a concert in New York, and Jay-Z said he liked the record but had to get back at him, and when Jay went onstage to perform at that same concert, he dropped that line. It's explained on the Beef DVD.

DeeezNuuuts83 said:
Jay-Z was for sure talking about 50 Cent. 50 came out with "How to Rob an Industry Nigga" which has a Jay-Z reference. The two ran into each other at a concert in New York, and Jay-Z said he liked the record but had to get back at him, and when Jay went onstage to perform at that same concert, he dropped that line. It's explained on the Beef DVD.
of course jay z and 50 knew it was a diss...but to common people who didnt know who 50 was they probably interpreted the metaphor as one way...hence the actual money...

the line has a double meaning it could be interpreted as talkin about money or 50 cent the rapper...

just like the big L line fuck mace line...

its not that hard to understand a metaphor....

EDouble

Will suck off black men for a dime
lol the jay 50 cent example was bad. why would u randomly say 'i'm all about the dollar, what the fuck is 50 cent'...

the mace line would be a good play if it was a diss

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.