Best Westcoast Producer?

Dre has to be in the conversation because of the massive hits he's dropped, but is he the best? IMO the list goes:

1. Daz: His solo albums are all well produced, and he did most of the DPG/Snoop shit back in the day. Pac's 'Skandalouz' is one of the hottest bangers off All Eyez too. Revenge, Retaliation & Get Back is a slept on CLASSIC.

2. Dr Dre: What really separates Dre is his ability to know talent when he hears it. It's true that the rappers over his beats made him famous (Ren, Cube, Snoop, Pac, Em, 50, Game...), but he still found them. It really surprised me when Dre kind of stepped aside on the Game album and let Just Blaze and Kanye produce tracks that he knew would overshadow his own beats, but that's what a good Executive Producer is supposed to do. Doesn't get the top spot because of the years (96-99) where he tried to do the Aftermath thing without bonafide artists. Is a fag for not counting Dr Dre Presents...The Aftermath as one of his albums.

3. QDIII: An artist. Composed and produced the entire score to 'MenaceIISociety'. Gets major bonus points for producing The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song. Made some of my favorite Pac songs: To Live and Die in LA, Lost Souls, Hellrazor, and Niggaz Nature RMX. Son of music legend Quincy Jones. His production company made my fav Pac DVD, Thug Angel.

4. DJ Quik: Didn't get the chance to shine as much as he should of because of others in front of him and legal troubles in recent years. Made Pac's 'late nite' and gets props from Jigga by using him for Justify My Thug on the Black Album.

5. Warren G: Made the classic album: Regulate...G-Funk Era. His beats only sound good with Snoop rhyming over them.

I'm sure I missed some good ones, but I wanted to start a discussion about it. Everybody talks about how there's no West Coast rappers, but where are the hot West producers???

wtf@ ur warren G comment...i dont thnk his beats only sound good with snoop on em...sumthin else real quick i think nate dogg only sounds good ova westcoast beats...

I think warren G is a nice producer..

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
It's got be Dre for me everytime he's a legend. None of the others you've listed are even near legends.
He is much more than making beats on studio equipment. He was there from the begining of "gangsta rap" with NWA, he built there success, without Dre there would've been no NWA, although you could say the same about Cube and Eazy. He is a mastermind on the decks and the tables, but it's his ear that sets him apart.
After NWA he moved to DR where he created that typical WestCoast sound that kept us hooked from 1992 - 1996. He made 2 of the greatest albums ever, Chronic and Doggystyle and made loads more killer beats. He has the talent to turn rappers into mega stars the man is a money making machine.
There's plenty more to write but I can't be bothered.

With the exception of QDIII all the others really do is create beats, or rap (moderately).

Dre.

The rest of the producers are dope but Dre has that something extra and I'm not talking about massive pop hits.

His sound is very polished, and each beat is layered carefully, to perfection even.
I mean, it'd take a fucking idiot, I mean a grade 1 retard, to make a Dre beat sound bad.

Dre's also the premier trailblazer in hip-hop beats; namely being the top producer of 'gangsta rap' when with NWA & being the creator of G-Funk. It's also notable that Dre said, 'gangsta rap is dead' when he left Death Row and in Ali-fashion 'gangsta rap' did died down until it was fully ressurected by Dre as a more pop-friendly type of 'gangsta rap' fronted by 50 Cent.

That's not to say he doesn't have his drawbacks. The main one being the dispute over what beats Dre has actually crafted by himself without the help of his cohorts such as Mel-Man & Scott Storch.

Edited Post - I can't believe in the time it took me to write this & post it that Pittsey snuck in & put down a bunch of points first. Damn!

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Exodus said:
like when it was exposed that dre DID NOT produce gin and juice

Bollocks he didn't. He produced that whole album, don't believe Daz.

He also produced Cali love. But check out the song from which they take the sample, he didn't do much. Don't listen to the rumours.

Exodus said:
u forgot battlecat and jellyroll, soopafly,lt hutton
battlecat is sick, i'd put him up there over Warren G thinking about it now. I don't like jellyroll's shit, I keep thinking of stoplight on Paid tha Cost, i hate that song. i always thought soopafly was weak. LT hutton is tight, I like the Girl like U beat on R&G

Pittsey said:
Bollocks he didn't. He produced that whole album, don't believe Daz.

He also produced Cali love. But check out the song from which they take the sample, he didn't do much. Don't listen to the rumours.
nah daz didnt say it, i forgot who said it, i think RBX if im not mistaken

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Exodus said:
nah daz didnt say it, i forgot who said it, i think RBX if im not mistaken

I still wouldn't believe it.
Dre is the best, it creates jealousy. Dre has people who might program his drums, or give him a sample. But he's the creative force behind it. A conductor if you like. And most of the time it'll just be him and his main man Mike in the studio.

CalcuoCuchicheo said:
Dre.

The rest of the producers are dope but Dre has that something extra and I'm not talking about massive pop hits.

His sound is very polished, and each beat is layered carefully, to perfection even.
I mean, it'd take a fucking idiot, I mean a grade 1 retard, to make a Dre beat sound bad.

Dre's also the premier trailblazer in hip-hop beats; namely being the top producer of 'gangsta rap' when with NWA & being the creator of G-Funk. It's also notable that Dre said, 'gangsta rap is dead' when he left Death Row and in Ali-fashion 'gangsta rap' did died down until it was fully ressurected by Dre as a more pop-friendly type of 'gangsta rap' fronted by 50 Cent.

That's not to say he doesn't have his drawbacks. The main one being the dispute over what beats Dre has actually crafted by himself without the help of his cohorts such as Mel-Man & Scott Storch.

Edited Post - I can't believe in the time it took me to write this & post it that Pittsey snuck in & put down a bunch of points first. Damn!

I totally agree, I just think that Daz can have a wider variation in sound than Dre. Something like the piano on Ridin High sounds soooooo SMOOTH. It makes WC sound amazing on that track. I like Dre's ear, and he knows how to make artists sound good, but he's not as good of a producer as Daz. He's not as original. They were both better when they were working together, but Daz has the creativity in beats that Dre doesn't. Why do you think Dre always works with somebody else? The other guy is working on something, Dre touches it, and it turns to gold. It takes talent to do what he does, and nobody else can do it like him, but I don't know, have you heard T.I. - My Life off of Urban Legend? Here it is for anybody who hasn't heard it:

http://s14.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2K5ZDL2NAHLNU3W49E104MLMNR

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.