Best Rapper of The New Millenium

I need a lil bit of help for an assignment I have to do. Its basically have to conduct research on the best 'independant rapper' to come out since 2000. And eventually write a report...

For now I just wanna gather people's nominations so I can get this research started.

The criteria is:

a) they must have released their first solo album after 2000

b) the debut album could not have been on any major record label

c) note I said studio album, mixtapes and unprofessional shit done at home does not count

... so just name a few dope emcees that come to mind (nominees can be repeated).

My Nominations:

Blu, Joell Ortiz, Reks, Brother Ali, Vakill

.. I'm also going to need a few volunteers (active members) who are down to listen to a few tracks and fill out a few short surveys over the next month or so for me.. Hopefully ppl like (Preach, Masta, Sandeep, and SOFI, etc. are down)

- peace and respect

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
blu and joel ortiz are good noms.

I'd say Phonte if you count his solo work (foreign exchange - connected).

but yeah i'll help out, just hit me up.

masta247

Staff member
Sure I'll help. I'd nominate Termanology. I believe he's signed to a small record label in Brooklyn and started in 2002.

+ Also The Last Emperor is pretty awesome.

tHuG $TyLe

Staff member
Blu

Below the Heavens was an awesome album :thumb:

Reks is pretty good also, but I find it hard to get into him, sometimes i feel his lines could be alot better.

I quite like Ortiz also, but sometimes hes hit and miss.

roaches

brother ali dropped an album in 2000.

your criteria are haphazard and will lead to an inaccurate product, but GLWTSA.

Stone_Cold

Brother Ali immediatley came to my mind. 3 solid releases and a recently released ep thats dope too. Consistant.

What exactly are you looking at here? Rapping alone or overall qualities.

Was gonna put a vote down for P.O.S but dunno if he could take a best rapper award on MCing alone, but overall, production, creativity etc he could be in with a shout!

THEV1LL4N

im guessing rap groups arent included in this. i'd say joell ortiz is up there. i'd also nominate termanology and knoc-turn'al.

Would you count proof as a valid nominee since he went solo after 2000 and released Searching for Jerry Garcia on his own Iron Fist imprint under Shady Records?

Roaches, the criteria right now is like that just to get the ball rolling, I'm going to get detailed with it later on, once I decide what direction I wanna head in for this report. Thanks for the feed back though

Thanks for the input so far guys.... Anybody else down to volunteer for further 'surveys' and questions about 'the best indy rapper of the millenium study'? I need more volunteers, I didnt mean to leave anyone out, I just said the few names that came to mind right away.

peace

Thanks Stone Cold, haha I'll try not to take too much of ur time.

Sandeep, thanks for the input, I'm not sure if I can use proof cuz Shady isnt exactly independent, but I'll see whats up when I'm making my final list to evaluate... and are u down for the survey as well man?

Jeezy I can probably use, although I'm not sure if his indy debut was a studio album. TI had his debut on Arista... Lupe's debut was on Atlantic, so I cant use em

THEV1LL4N

Thanks Stone Cold, haha I'll try not to take too much of ur time.

Sandeep, thanks for the input, I'm not sure if I can use proof cuz Shady isnt exactly independent, but I'll see whats up when I'm making my final list to evaluate... and are u down for the survey as well man?

Jeezy I can probably use, although I'm not sure if his indy debut was a studio album. TI had his debut on Arista... Lupe's debut was on Atlantic, so I cant use em
yea, sure im down to help out.

proof's was actually released on his own label "Iron Fist", and was all independent.

^^ hmmm sounds good, but then what about "Fuckin’ Backstabber/Soul Intent", according to wikipedia it was released in '95, but I dont think that was a studio album

THEV1LL4N

^^ hmmm sounds good, but then what about "Fuckin’ Backstabber/Soul Intent", according to wikipedia it was released in '95, but I dont think that was a studio album
just a promo. that was as part of a group called "soul intent", same thing with "5 elementz", they had stuff released since 1996 - but that was as a group.

proof's first solo material came in the form of an album in 2004 called "I Miss the Hip-Hop Shop", which i always thought was a mixtape. Apparently SFJG is his sophomore album. IMTHHS must have been a street album, similar to that of Joell's "Brick: Bodega Chronicles".

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.