Beat's >> lyrical complexivity

would you agree with my statement.
cause when i think about i you could be a brilliant at writing rhymes but if your rapping over beats like "just lose it" i aint goin anywhere near music. im not mentioning lyrical content at all.

yeah but the flip side of that is someone with the best production in the business.......and whack lyrics and/or flow....

you gotta have a balance.

sniper said:
u mean like 50 cent(wack lyrix good beats) and nas (good lyrix wack beats)?
I don't think it's that simple. Rappers pick their beats, and a rapper like Nas can pretty much get any producer he wants on his shit. The fact is, Nas probably doesn't pick 'hot' beats because he can't flow over them the way 50 Cent can. Honestly, what do you think 'In Da Club' would have sounded like if Nas rapped over it? It wouldn't have been nearly as big of a hit, and Nas coudln't have come with the right subject matter.

As an example: It's a LOT easier to freestyle over 'Just A Moment' than it is to do it over 'Ski Mask Way'. The 50 beat is more complex, and takes a more gifted songwriter to do. Nas is the better MC, but he's not as good of a songwriter and he's not good at coming up with the complicated flows a faster/sicker beat takes. Just my 2 cents

malek_5 said:
I don't think it's that simple. Rappers pick their beats, and a rapper like Nas can pretty much get any producer he wants on his shit. The fact is, Nas probably doesn't pick 'hot' beats because he can't flow over them the way 50 Cent can. Honestly, what do you think 'In Da Club' would have sounded like if Nas rapped over it? It wouldn't have been nearly as big of a hit, and Nas coudln't have come with the right subject matter.

As an example: It's a LOT easier to freestyle over 'Just A Moment' than it is to do it over 'Ski Mask Way'. The 50 beat is more complex, and takes a more gifted songwriter to do. Nas is the better MC, but he's not as good of a songwriter and he's not good at coming up with the complicated flows a faster/sicker beat takes. Just my 2 cents
rappers dont pick their own beats ......... :confused:

whatever when it comes to freestylin these days most of em write some shit they can use over ne beat...so HA....

EDIT COMIN UP....^

First off Nas is overall the better rapper out of 2...in my opinion

I think you are tryna say 50 can write a hot song...that's cool but just because nas doesn't write em like 50 does doesn't mean he can't do it and neither of us can tell if he ca because he simply doesn't write like 50....Nas and 50 obviously have a different style and if you'd ask Nas' style is far more greater than 50's..50's style can be described as simple...sometimes genius im saying this without even mentionin he got da biggest rap names in the industry backing him up..Im saying 50 deserves props for making a hot song..maybe it's a talent maybe it's not but he sure entertains ppl...and he should get props 4 that...

newayz...Nas' style is different he flows different talks to a different audience and has different subjects..So when you say Nas can't make a record like In da club you are forgetting that 1. he doesn't have to and 2. His audience isn't waiting for that...
Like I said Nas talks about different things..Nas raps about TOTAL different things than 50 You gotta agree with me that 50 simply talks bullshit and it rhymes and sounds good...Some nas songs actually have a meaning...
And as a fan I say..we want Nas not 50
We expect Nas we don't want 50..if we wanted 50 we'd listen to 50 but we don't because we listen Nas^....

Maybe Im off the subject now but im too lazy to edit my post some more I'll check it later....

sniper said:
rappers dont pick their own beats ......... :confused:
i won't come down hard on you, but you're straight up wrong. rappers pick their beats. a lot of people don't know that "In Da Club" was going to be a beat for a D-12 song (at least what 50 said in an interview), but they didn't really know what to do with it. 50 heard it, wanted it, and sold 11 million albums.

one mc on dj said:
whatever when it comes to freestylin these days most of em write some shit they can use over ne beat...so HA....

EDIT COMIN UP....^
freestylin? writing? what? rappers write to the beat. even old schoolers like Nas who didn't use to write to the beat do now.

malek_5 said:
freestylin? writing? what? rappers write to the beat. even old schoolers like Nas who didn't use to write to the beat do now.
...Im talking bout standard punchlines man...Punchlines can be used over ne beat...so what? THE FUCK? ARE YOU? TALKING? ABOUT? j/k

Newayz check my other post and tell me wut u think...i must add i kind of 4got it was about freestyling...but cool lemme know aight...

malek_5 said:
Nas is the better MC, but he's not as good of a songwriter and he's not good at coming up with the complicated flows a faster/sicker beat takes. Just my 2 cents
are you serious? that's just wrong. Nas is 10x the songwriter 50 is. Nas' rhymes and flow adjust way better than 50's...just listen to something like New York State of Mind and then One Mic and you will see that he adjusts to faster beats very well.

yak pac fatal

Frank Grimes said:

would you agree with my statement.
cause when i think about i you could be a brilliant at writing rhymes but if your rapping over beats like "just lose it" i aint goin anywhere near music. im not mentioning lyrical content at all.
ur half right half wrong
nowa days rap is all bout the hottest beats
if u listen 2 me against the world not tha best beats but tha lyrics are amazing

yak pac fatal said:
ur half right half wrong
nowa days rap is all bout the hottest beats
if u listen 2 me against the world not tha best beats but tha lyrics are amazing
Yeah and you can't blame the artists 4 it..The fans want those beats so logically rap artists start collaborating with the producers who produce the hottest beats and that's why mainstream rap at some point becomes boring...
Instead of coming out with some creative shit they go 4 the money and take the easy way...but who wouldn't? True artists with real talent and there arent too many ppl with a gift so logically you see more bullshit rappers out than talented rappers...

roaches

Two things:
1. It's disturbing that a lot of you think that older albums aren't well-produced.
2. You need more mixtapes/ind. releases in your life.

malek_5 said:
i won't come down hard on you, but you're straight up wrong. rappers pick their beats. a lot of people don't know that "In Da Club" was going to be a beat for a D-12 song (at least what 50 said in an interview), but they didn't really know what to do with it. 50 heard it, wanted it, and sold 11 million albums.
there was an emoticon at the end of my statement meaning i wasnt sure. if im wrong its cool. but to the best of my knowledge i always thought a and r's/assistants/managers....... chose beats.........?

one mc on dj said:

EDIT COMIN UP....^

First off Nas is overall the better rapper out of 2...in my opinion

I think you are tryna say 50 can write a hot song...that's cool but just because nas doesn't write em like 50 does doesn't mean he can't do it and neither of us can tell if he ca because he simply doesn't write like 50....Nas and 50 obviously have a different style and if you'd ask Nas' style is far more greater than 50's..50's style can be described as simple...sometimes genius im saying this without even mentionin he got da biggest rap names in the industry backing him up..Im saying 50 deserves props for making a hot song..maybe it's a talent maybe it's not but he sure entertains ppl...and he should get props 4 that...

newayz...Nas' style is different he flows different talks to a different audience and has different subjects..So when you say Nas can't make a record like In da club you are forgetting that 1. he doesn't have to and 2. His audience isn't waiting for that...
Like I said Nas talks about different things..Nas raps about TOTAL different things than 50 You gotta agree with me that 50 simply talks bullshit and it rhymes and sounds good...Some nas songs actually have a meaning...
And as a fan I say..we want Nas not 50
We expect Nas we don't want 50..if we wanted 50 we'd listen to 50 but we don't because we listen Nas^....

Maybe Im off the subject now but im too lazy to edit my post some more I'll check it later....

Somebody was asking why Nas didn't have hot beats and 50 did have hot beats. I was saying why Nas didn't have hot beats. I agree with a lot of what you're saying though, Nas is clearly the better rapper. But all of 50's stuff isn't bullshit, his early stuff had meanings in it (ghetto qaran, most of power of the dollar). Think about it though, if Nas had the ability to drop a chart topping single, wouldn't it be good for him and his message in the long run? Wouldn't he get more people to buy his album and listen to important things he says? If he could make those hit records, why wouldn't he?

roaches said:
Two things:
1. It's disturbing that a lot of you think that older albums aren't well-produced.
2. You need more mixtapes/ind. releases in your life.
1. Everything isn't necessarily better the older and more independent it is. Outside of a few (very noteworthy) exceptions, old shit and indy shit is garbage.

"Too many independent acts are soundin the same" - Blueprint

u can have a hot joint thats all over the radio with a 'pop' beat....but if the lyrics don't have substance or soul -they simply wont last....theres no longevity in making commercial songs.

IMO an MC like Common, and a producer like say DJ Premier are the perfect combination for a meaningfull song thats going to have longevity....while at the same time being something everybody can bump and enjoy.

ok.

this drasticaly got taken the wrong way from the 1st post.
ok
ok , i obviously have a very different opinion on what good beats are than the rest of the people in this thread. plus nas and 50 shouldnt of come up cause id choose nas's beats over ANYthing 50 has rapped over. (especially the illmatic and it was written days), plus his music is much better.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.