Aquemini

roaches

This would've been Outkast's first #1 album, but it came out the same day as Jay-Z's Hard Knock Life (and, incidentally, I think The Love Movement and Black Star came out on the same day as well. Also, Stankonia came out the same day as Jay-Z's Dynasty, also resulting in another missed #1 spot)

01. Hold On, Be Strong (prod. Donny Mathis and Outkast)
02. Return of the G (prod. Organized Noize)
03. Rosa Parks (prod. Outkast)
04. Skew it on the Bar-B (prod. Organized Noize) ft. Raekwon
05. Aquemini (prod. Outkast)
06. Synthesizer (prod. Outkast) ft. George Clinton
07. Slump (prod. Outkast) ft. Cool Breeze, Backbone
08. West Savannah (prod. Organized Noize)
09. Da Art of Storytellin' (Part 1) (prod. Mr. DJ)
10. Da Art of Storytellin' (Part 2) (prod. Mr DJ)
11. Mamacita (prod. Organized Noize) ft. Masada Hogans, Witchdoctor
12. SpottieOttieDopaliscious (prod. Outkast) ft. Sleepy Brown
13. Y'all Scared (prod. Mr. DJ) ft. Goodie Mob
14. Nathaniel
15. Liberation (prod. Outkast) ft. Big Rube, Cee-lo, Erykah Badu, Joi, Whild Peach
16. Chonkyfire (prod. Outkast)

Classic amongst classics. Some people say ATLiens is their best album but I usually go with the majority and pick this one as their finest. So many things make this album one of the best hip-hop albums ever. Maybe it was the live instrumentation, the expiremental flows or even the freshness of the lyrics. This is one of the few albums I'd give a 5 star rating (I can only think of 12-15 other hip-hop albums that deserve this).

My favourite tracks are:

Liberation
Aquemini
Rosa Parks
Y'all Scared ft. Goodie Mob
Return of the G
Skew it on the Bar-B ft. Raekwon
SpottieOttieDopaliscious ft. Sleepy Brown
Synthesizer ft. George Clinton
Da Art of Storytellin' (Part 1)

:thumb:

I wasn't much of a fan of this album, or any of their albums after this either. IMO Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik and ATLiens were their best albums. Best tracks are Rosa Parks and Skew It On The Bar-B

Bill G said:
My favourite tracks are:

Liberation
Aquemini
Rosa Parks
Return of the G

I like all those, spare Da Art of Storytellin,

I think there Debut is still my favorite then I would probably pick "Stankonia", and rank Aquemini third.

roaches

I wasn't much of a fan of this album, or any of their albums after this either. IMO Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik and ATLiens were their best albums. Best tracks are Rosa Parks and Skew It On The Bar-B
What about "Slump" or "West Savannah"? Most of the people I know who thought this was when Outkast started to suck are big fans of those songs as well.

I remember I put "Slump" on a mix that I uploaded here once, and someone got the idea that I did the beat and it was my group rapping. Lol.

Just out of interest, what do you think of this album?
Not a fan. "Find a Way" has nostalgic value for me, though, since it's the only post-MM song Tribe did when I saw them.

Since we're talking about Tribe... I didn't realize that Andre was talking about them on "Rosa Parks" until he mentioned in an interview that Q-Tip was one of his favorite MCs:

"Took a shower kinda sour cause my favorite group ain't comin with it
But I'm witcha you cause you probably goin through it anyway
But anyhow when in doubt went on out and bought it
Cause I thought it would be jammin but examine all the flawsky-wawsky
Awfully, it's sad and it's costly, but that's all she wrote
And I hope I never have to float in that boat
Up shit creek it's weak is the last quote
That I want to hear when I'm goin down when all's said and done
And we got a new joe in town
When the record player get to skippin and slowin down
All yawl can say is them niggas earned that crown but until then..."

In retrospect, it's kinda obvious (or maybe not, eh). It's dope, though - this was Outkast's first huge pop hit, yet most of Andre's verse is devoted to something that hip-hop heads can really feel.

----

If Andre can spit something like "Return of the Gangsta" after people criticized ATliens of being too out-of-left-field (how naive we were), imagine the shit he could possibly come with on 10 the Hard Way (unless "A Life in the Day..." was a pre-emptive strike?).

Bill G said:
Classic amongst classics. Some people say ATLiens is their best album but I usually go with the majority and pick this one as their finest. So many things make this album one of the best hip-hop albums ever. Maybe it was the live instrumentation, the expiremental flows or even the freshness of the lyrics. This is one of the few albums I'd give a 5 star rating (I can only think of 12-15 other hip-hop albums that deserve this).

My favourite tracks are:

Liberation
Aquemini
Rosa Parks
Return of the G

yup Liberation is my favorite song on the album... i dont like the big boi's and andre's verse as much as cee-lo's part. Cee-lo's verse is infuckincredable

HiGhTillDeaTH said:
yup Liberation is my favorite song on the album... i dont like the big boi's and andre's verse as much as cee-lo's part. Cee-lo's verse is infuckincredable

while we're talkin about hot outkast/ceelo songs, i recommend everyone checks out in due time off of soul food, if u havent already :thumb:

PDT

I don't know about Aquemini vs. ATLiens, it's a hard one. Is a classic though, fuck Stankonia, this shit's way better. I like Y'all Scared, I like most all tha tracks.

i think its kinda like comparing apples and oranges when u start talking about aquemini vs. atliens, but if so ill always pick atliens, that title track has been my favorite outkast song since the shit dropped and nothin has even come close to it for me, when i saw them in concert that shit came on "throw your hands in the ayer, and wave em like ya just dont cayer.." that was one of the more memorable nites of my life seein the crowd act how they did and just kast gettin crazy on stage, plus the roots, cee-lo and jurassic 5 performed so that was just the tightest show ever made imo

ARon

This is my favorite OutKast album, i remember i made a thread about Southern..... and we got into which is their best, i choose this. I listen to this album more than anything probably, well top 5 albums i play i guess.
Has any other group dropped 3 straight classics?(well i would say OutKast' first 3 are)

roaches

Has any other group dropped 3 straight classics?(well i would say OutKast' first 3 are)
Run-D.M.C.
A Tribe Called Quest (does anyone appreciate my insight about "Rosa Parks"? I refuse to believe it was obvious to everyone else on this board.)
Wu-Tang (if you agree with the idea that the first-gen solo albums were just group albums with one member serving as a front man)
Gang Starr
De La Soul

etc.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
I'm not a huge fan of Outkast, obviously I appreciate their talent and the different creative directions they have gone in. The fact they have changed and grown has obviously helped in their longetivity.

This is probably my favourite album of theirs. It is one which i still bump 3-4 tracks, which is a lot considering I'm not really a fan. On southerncadyadadadadadadadadadad, I only still listen to players ball. Apart from that it'd stay in my cd drawer.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.