Apex - Knockin' Doors Down

SicC

Dying Breed
Staff member
Hip-hop’s latest super producer Apex is truly living up to his name lately, with his song “I Get Money” being the biggest hit of the year and garnering a Grammy nomination for the summer anthem he crafted for megastar 50 Cent. It’s hard to believe that things almost didn’t’ go down do this way for the up-and-comer.

As most people know the “I Get Money” beat was stolen from Apex and shopped around without his knowledge. In time of course, the fraud was exposed and Apex was on his way to the top.

However, he is no one-hit wonder, having crafted beats for Joe Budden and the late Stack Bundles as well as scoring music for the wildly popular Game Over documentary that chronicles the life of Harlem drug kingpins, Rich Porter, Alpo Martinez, and Azie.

The documentary, narrated by Jadakiss, proved that Apex could do it all. Whether it’s making hit songs, scoring films, or burning up the mixtapes, this DJ turned producer is ready for anything that comes his way. With a G-Unit affiliation and people knocking on his door like he owes them the rent Apex is about to step into an elite realm of producers.

Sixshot.Com sat down with Apex to discuss everything from beat jacking, to the internet, to 50 Cent.

Apex, what's good man?

I'm chilling man I’m doing good, feeling good. I just got nominated for a Grammy for best rap song so I’m in good spirits.

So tell us the deal man, somebody stole your beat and gave it to 50?

Yeah, long story short. This dude took a whole bunch of tracks off the internet from different websites and represented the music as his own. One of the tracks he took was my beat. He g ot my beat to some important people who got it to 50 and that's how "I Get Money" came about. I already had the beat done hook and everything. From the stuttering Milk Dee sample in the intro down to the fade out. All he had to do was jump on it to seal the deal.

Who did it and how did you finally clear that up?

This dude named Scott Boogie who I never met (not D.J. Scott Boogie in Canada) was the dude that started the whole snowball effect. They wanted him to play the music over in the studio just to see if he made it and he came up with all types of excuses. First he said he used Reason, then the next day he's like I made the beat on fruity loops (laughs).

So people knew something was funny with homeboy.Honestly I just think he was just a dude that made beats for fun or as a hobby cause when a real opportunity was presented to him he ran and played somebody else’s shit and not his and that shows that you don't believe in yourself. Shout out to Scott Boogie! You almost got away with it dogg! I'm not even mad at that dude anymore. He changed my life.

Did you think "I Get Money" was going to be that big? A song can't get any bigger than that.

Yeah I new I had a hit, I got alot of hits. That’s why I use to go hard on the internet with my music cause I know I got heat so why not put it online and let the world know you got heat. Yes it is very risky doing that so you gotta be smart about it cause the game is full of grimy people trying to jack music from unknown dudes.

Had you produced for anybody before 50?

Yeah I did a track with Black Mobb ft. Junior Reid called "They Hatin'", Stack Bundles, Riott Squad, Joe Budden "What Would Happen", that track right there is a mixtape classic. R.I.P. Stack Bundles. I did the beat, I used the same drums as "I Get Money”. I’m not gonna front like I knew Stack, I never met him but it was a privilege to have him and Joe go hard on my beat. It felt good.

I also scored some film work for Street Stars Game Over narrated by Jadakiss, the documentary about Alpo, AZ and Rich Porter. Street Stars had gotten a distribution deal to re-release there classic documentaries so I was one of the producers they called on to provide that urban soundscape for the intro of the DVD.

Are you officially affiliated with G-Unit?

No I’m not, but my manager Chris"Broadway"Romero who shot the video is...so you figure that one out (laughs). I'm affiliated with EMI Music. Shout out to Omar Grant and Big Jon Plat for realizing they were dealing with a monster.

Are industry heads and big artists knocking down your door now?

Absolutely, I’m getting requests for more tracks by alot of big names which I aint gonna say cause aint nothing confirmed yet. Feel me? I'm not gonna go around bragging about who's asking for tracks because at the end of the day it's about whos gonna feel my music enough to put it on there album and promote it. I’ll name names after the songs are done.

What do you think makes a good producer?

I think having the vision, ear and talent to put together a concept or idea that you had in your head and then properly executing it musically is what makes a good producer. When I send out beats to artists alot of times I will send them a lil summary of what I think the song should be about. If I have a hook in it already then the song is even more obvious.

Alot of times artists feel like they have their own formula and can write there own hook so I will also send out hot ass beats with musical hooks, not vocal so the artist can zone out to my music and come up with something special. When you hear an Apex track, you start to realize it’s not about me it's about the artist.

What was it like working with 50?

Working with 50 Cent was a dream man. Shout out to 50 too cause there aint to many artists that had the common sense to use it. (laughs). I'm not gonna blow them up but another big label heard "I Get Money" before 50 got it and they said they did not like it.

Who are some artists you're looking forward to working with?

Honestly I would like to work with Timbaland's artist D.O.E. He's a real dude. He came through to the studio and kicked it with a nigga took some tracks that he liked. Young Buck did two joints with me and he holding on to them, (laughs) he not even trying to leak it on the net.

Mazaradi Fox and Rich Deniro of G-Unit took a track and now he's asking for more so shout out to him.I do alot of different music, not just hip-hop so you R&B singers out there that want something hard to rock on, I got you! Don’t be scared of the new kid (laughs).

Do you have any advice for up and coming producers?

Yeah man just keep grinding man. If you believe in your heart of hearts that you should be doing this on a major level then it will happen for you. Also learn how to place beats, Meaning which one of your tracks sound right for a particular artist. You don't want to give Busta Rhymes a track that would have sounded better with Nas.Two totally different styles. Just learn how to compliment an artist’s style musically.

Do you feel the internet helped you a lot?

I owe everything to the ineternet. The internet is the new streets. I told dudes before to promote their music online but alot of dudes are scared of their track being stolen Then tag your track. There are ways around this man. Just be smart about it.

The way I look at it if record sales in the industry are fucked up because of the net then that means everyone of those customers are going online and logging in, searching for new music etc. So that's the obvious place to be if you’re trying to establish some type of buzz or fan base for your self. It’s not rocket science just common sense (laughs).

What projects can we expect to see from you in the future?

I don't want to jinx anything but other than the dudes I mentioned earlier there are some real big possibilities on the horizon. Working with a mega star like 50 opens alot of doors for a new jack like me so I’m taking every opportunity I get to move up. I got alot of heat and I feel I am what the games been missing.

Anything you'd like to say to the fans at Sixshot.Com?

Yeah to everyone reading this, I appreciate you taking the time to read my interview, support real hip-hop music and look out for more tracks from your favorite artists produced by me and oh yeah, no I am not gassed up (laughs).

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.