Anti-piracy company shutdown

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
A company that fought net piracy by adding fake files to file-sharing networks is being closed down. Overpeer led efforts to battle the rising popularity of file-sharing networks such as Kazaa. The company tried to make it hard to find high-quality versions of pirated media by flooding networks with fakes holding adverts or garbage.

Overpeer's owner Loudeye said it was looking for a buyer for the assets of the loss-making subsidiary. Overpeer came to prominence in 2002 when it was regularly being used by music and movie makers to dilute the number of copies of popular songs and films on file-sharing networks.By making it a chore to find a good copy of what users wanted, Overpeer hoped to force people to turn to legitimate download sources.

In a financial filing, Loudeye said the ratings systems that many peer-to-peer networks had introduced to give users information about authentic and fake files had reduced Overpeer's effectiveness. Explaining the decision to close Overpeer, Loudeye said in a statement with industry regulators that the subsidiary had lost a major client in mid-2005 and it had steadily been generating less and less cash.

The closure of Overpeer would help Loudeye cut its own operating costs, it said.

Source : BBC News

i think this is the shit where for instance if you downloaded 50 cent wankster or searched for it, somewhere near the bottom a file usually titled 50_cent_W_a_n_k_s_t_e_r or something gay like that, and it would usually be a picture of an ipod or a video fo an ipod being used or soemthing to advertise.

SonOf2pac

^^ i know what ur talkin' bout!! i hate that shit... u download like 100 copies of a song and they are all fakes... thank god this company is dead... but i don't download illegally... ;)

This just shows that pirating is not going to go away. For example, with the movies: they have some technology that can see if you got a camara in the theatre, but somehow people are still taping new films. It's here to stay.

Yang

bah... I download some joints to get a feeling bout an album n if i like the tracks i just downloaded then I will go n buy dat album.
It's true piracy hurts some artist, the artist who aren't mainstream, but these companies anti-piracy mostly only protect these mainstream artists, dats stupid. What cares if eminem or 50 sell less copies of their crap albums, they will sell hundreds of millions another way or another, so if these companies dont protect the artist who need their protection f**k them.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.