Andre 3000 disproving hip hop cliches

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
For those who see hip hop culture simply as guns, girls and gold then Andre Benjamin is a revelation.

He is a polite, mild-mannered, vegetarian who has managed to sell 12 million albums with his partner Big Boi in the group Outkast without any of the trappings of "gangsta" lifestyle.

Hip hop, he says, simply describes his musical background and not his attitude to life.

"I think there's a misconception that hip hop is about "gangsta" lifestyle," he says. "I think, in perhaps the last five or six years, that's been one section of it. But if you look at the history of hip hop, it didn't start as that, as gangsta. Hip hop was simply music from the street, street music talking about street life. I just set out to do music and I fell in to the hip hop category. It was my background."

"Hey Ya", his most successful single in the UK, saw him in his most familiar role, the cool and slightly crazed character he has created for his band, Andre 3000.

But Andre 3000 is just that, a character. In person, Andre Benjamin is quiet and reflective. He grew up in Atlanta, in Georgia, and met his musical partner, Big Boi, at high school.

Their success has made them both wealthy and both are happy writing and performing on their own, which has led to repeated speculation that they are about to split up.

And while Andre Benjamin is developing his own distinctive career path away from Outkast there is to be a new Outkast album and even an Outkast movie.

But increasingly his focus is on acting, a familiar career progression for many hip hop musicians. He has already had a cameo in the sequel to "Get Shorty", "Be Cool", as well as a guest appearance in hit TV show, "The Shield".

That is now being followed by roles in the revenge drama "Four Brothers", Guy Ritchie's critically-mauled philosophical gangster film, "Revolver" and also an Outkast Musical.

Then there is the burgeoning fashion business and his painting. Andre Benjamin is taking on every opportunity that his success is offering.

However, while Outkast may have avoided the lyrical preoccupations of many other rap stars, they have never been perceived as a political band, or writers about issues.

But while that is unlikely to change, there has been a change in Andre Benjamin's attitude. He had not even bothered to vote until, aged 29, the recent Presidential election convinced him that he had to do something. Now, more than just voting, he is trying to encourage others "like him" to engage politically. He has been making a documentary urging people to vote.

"I wanted to show people who think the same way. Even if they feel that way. If you do nothing, if you don't vote, of course nothing will happen. I'd rather go with a chance rather than have nothing at all."

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
I love it how they try to say "street life" instead of "gangsta" life when it's obvious that, minding most rappers' music content, street life = gangsta life. He can't disprove a cliche if he says he's not rapping about gangsta life, when most rappers out there do.

i enjoy listening to outkast but i must say where it has been said they havent rapped about gangsta lifestyle i was listening to a track by them titled "Return of the G"

Shot 21

Good that they sold $12 million but theyre biggest hit is Hey Ya. The biggest load of crap coming out of Hip Hop (except maybe Ass Like That). Songs like that are pop songs and its a shame Hip Hop stars have to sellout like that to make money. I aint NEVER gonna do that.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.