Am I The Only One Who Feels Reasonable Doubt Is Highly Overrated?

I've heard people refer to this album as one of the best of all time. I've heard people say that this album alone cemented Jay's spot in Rap history. Now don't get me wrong this album is fantastic, but still, nowhere near the status that most make it appear to be. The first 10 track are amazing, and that's not for argument, plain and simple. But aside from 'Bring It On', every track after 'Friend or Foe' sucks ass.

Now lyrically, again, Jigga really put it down on that aspect. On most tracks though, the production is less than average. This was put out in 1996, but most of the production sounds pre-1994. A good 50% of the hooks are corny. And the hooks that are actually good, Jigga isn't saying them (Can't Knock the Hustle, Ain't No Nigga, Feelin' It, etc.). I'm quite sure alot of people don't agree with me, but still, speak what's on ya' mind.

*Lately, there's been alot of talk that us younger listeners are quick to label an album a classic because we don't know what it was like when Illmatic or even Paid In Full first dropped. But personally, I think the older heads also latch on to the word classic quickly, mainly because the album has a couple of years behind it.

well every album that comes out these days seems to be labeled a classic right away, the only way an album is a true classic is if with time stands the test of time which Reasonable Doubt does... there is no real criteria as to what makes an album a classic, it is purely subjective. imo if time and time again people still declare it a classic well then there must be something to that album... just my opinion anyways... oh, and you also don't have to like it just b/c it is a "classic" album

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
^I agree a 100%. It's all subjective, there isn't any specific objective criteria created to rate albums, therefore the only test is the test of time.

roaches

It's definitely benefited from revisionism. Whether that's because people have stopped sleeping on a very good album or people are rearranging their opinions of Jay-Z ten years ago to reflect his status now is debatable. I'm leaning towards the latter.

In 1996, it was competing for popular attention with albums by Outkast, Wu, Mobb Deep, The Fugees, Redman, De La Soul, Nas, 2Pac, Lil' Kim, Foxy Brown, Busta Rhymes, Westside Connection, etc. DJs and writers and heads and regional audiences were also listening to UGK, MOP, E-40, Jeru, Prince Paul, BCC, Dr. Octagon, Twista, Crucial Conflict, Master P, Xzibit, and so on.

Jay-Z had a good album, but the only reason he got any attention back then was because of the Nas sample on "Dead Presidents" and Foxy. Other than that, he wasn't doing anything special: a couple of DJ Premier joints, Mary J Blige on a chorus, etc. - nothing extraordinary. He was down with Biggie, but so was Lil' Kim.

Then he said "Reasonable Doubt, classic, shoulda went triple" after becoming the dominant rapper on the scene and suddenly everyone decided to alter their memories.

It IS his best album, though, probably.

Casey

Staff member
I would consider it a classic, it has definately aged well. One aspect of a classic to me is how it lasts over time. Come one, you know you can't fuck with "Can't knock the hustle" "dead presidents" "22 Two's" "Brooklyns Finest" "D'Evils" (my favorite, fuckin awesome) etc etc etc

Jeremy

This album and the black album are the only albums I like from him. I think he fell off after reasonable doubt to be honest. His shit was mediocore after that. I remember I was like 16 when that reasonable doubt came out and I was loving that shit.

sorry Bizzle, but I disagree. IMO Illmatic is one of the best of all time. Reasonable Doubt is still a good album, but you gotta agree there's some "ehh...it's alright" tracks on there. There's not one song I won't bump on Illmatic

KO

I think it can be SLIGHTLY overrated sometimes, it is definetly a dope album though, it isnt on the same level as Illmatic though i dont think, which IS a Classic album

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.