Alicia Keys'- As I am.

SicC

Dying Breed
Staff member
Alicia Keys' last studio album, The Diary of Alicia Keys, was four years ago - a long time in the music business.

But the wait has been worth it. Keys’ strength - besides her voice - is still restrained, especially on her piano-based songs, though she’s been more than competent with more standard R&B and funk.

But while Diary floundered due to a couple of embarrassing ballads, "As I Am" doesn’t contain a single dud and plenty of gold, like "Go Ahead" and "No One".

Maybe it’s Keys’ choice of collaborators, or maybe she’s just got older and wiser, but the whole album glows with a maturity and confidence that belies the fact she’s 27.

Think of some of the best classic soul from the late 60s and 70s, but with the punch of 21st-century R&B and that’s "As I Am".

From the classical styling of the title track opener to the raw closer, Sure Looks Good to Me (Donny Hathaway and Bill Withers would be proud), it’s all good.

But is it just me or does Like You’ll Never See Me Again sound too much like Prince’s Diamonds and Pearls?

*Alicia Keys' As I Am is out now through Sony BMG.

Source: stuff.co.nz

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.