Albums that have a theme through them.

Bobby Sands

List some albums that have a storyline or them through them.For Example:Only Built 4 Cuban Links.I love albums like this.Ill start with some.

Blacktrash:The Autobiography of Kirk Jones-The story of Kirk Jone's life

OB4CL-Raekwon-Gangster movie theme

Ready To Die(maybe?)-Notorious BIG-A young black mans struggle and demise

Me Against The World-2Pac-An ongoing theme of death throughout

College Dropout-Kanye West-College theme

E-1999-Bone Thugs N Harmony
-Evil kind of a theme.(maybe?)

Enter The Wu/36 Chambers-Kung Fu movie theme

ITANOMTHUB-Public Enemy-Political theme throughout

Feel free to disagree.

Dante

Meyer & Dante Best Friends4eva
a lot of what you listed are more influences than themes...

a true set of theme albums would be deltron 3030, or even better, one that uses songs to tell a story such as masta ace's disposable arts, a long hot summer, and even sittin on chrome.

xxx

yea. they are called "concept albums", cant think of too many off the top of my head. I would argue makaveli is one though.

AmerikazMost

xxx said:
yea. they are called "concept albums", cant think of too many off the top of my head. I would argue makaveli is one though.
disagree.. there's no unification across the songs. minus "Toss It Up" and "Just Like Daddy," the only commonality is the grimy, hard sound. That doesn't qualify it as a concept album.

*See Dante's post

Sarr

Wishes he was on probation
hell on earth has a mad eery/violent theme or feel to it

but the best theme throughout an album i think is the cuban linx album

xxx

AmerikazMost said:
disagree.. there's no unification across the songs. minus "Toss It Up" and "Just Like Daddy," the only commonality is the grimy, hard sound. That doesn't qualify it as a concept album.

*See Dante's post
In the past however with old rock music esp.(pink floyd, electric light orchestra, and more,) when bands used transitions between tracks instead of dead air it was because the album was meant to have a concept. I think that was what tupac was tryin to do.

i agree with the master ace "long hot summer" that is good throughout, and "the autobiography of Kirk Jones" and i would go so far as to say "the miseducation of Lauryn Hill" as well...and on the rock theme, you mentioned Pink Floyd, "the wall" is arguably the best concept album of all time, but don't sleep on Queensryche "operation mindcrime"

AmerikazMost

xxx said:
In the past however with old rock music esp.(pink floyd, electric light orchestra, and more,) when bands used transitions between tracks instead of dead air it was because the album was meant to have a concept. I think that was what tupac was tryin to do.
so no dead air = concept album?

Deltron 3030 for sure.

Dr. Octagon - Octagonecologyst too.

The Streets - A Grand Dont Come For Free (to a lesser extent)

You could argue these ones as conceptual, but I'd say they are more like journeys:

OutKast (Speakerboxx specifically)
CunninLynguists - A Piece Of Strange
DJ Shadow - In Tune In Time On Tour (instrumental wise)

xxx

AmerikazMost said:
so no dead air = concept album?
typically, but probably not in every single case. (Some of those DJ Dance cds have no dead air and im pretty sure that really isnt a concept album.)

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.