Albums revisited. "Soul On Ice" by Ras Kass (wk-1)

7 Syns

Albums revisited.

Soul On Ice Revisited/opened.

Ras Kass - Soul On Ice

"On Earth As It Is..."
"Anything Goes"
"Marinatin"
"Reelishymn"
"Nature of the Threat"
"Etc."
"Sonset"
"Drama" (featuring Coolio)
"The Evil That Man Do"
"If/Then"
"Miami Life"
"Soul On Ice"
"Ordo Abchao (Order Out of Chaos)"

---

About 3 or 4 years ago, when I was discussing this album I mentioned countless times about how I felt the beats weighed the album down and took some "wow" effect away from the overall opus. Lyrically it's never been disputed, straight goodness with an abundance of entertaining punchlines and metaphors to keep listeners glued to the speaker/headphones.

However as I listen to the album again, I finally come to not only like the instrumentals but appreciate them and overall change my opinion about that area of the album.

I think now that the album is a complete masterpiece, I've rated it classic before with slight hesitation but no more. Now i could be here writing an "essay":laugh: about how lyrically amazing 'Soul On Ice' is but
Dr. Dre said:
Been there, done that.
. So instead i'll review some of the beats.

The Gothic-esqué themed beat for "On Earth As It Is..." kicks the LP off in an apocalyptic Busta Rhymes type of fashion. But it's the mellowness of "Marinatin'" (almost unbelievably produced by Battle-Cat), "Reelishymn", "Drama featuring Coolio", "Ordo Abchao (Order Out Of Chaos)" which I believe set the albums tone. Knowledge kicked over mellow beats is always a good idea IMO.

The abstract instrumentals of "Sonset", "If/Then", "Soul On Ice" take me back to 1990 in a refreshed trip while others like "Miami Life", "Nature Of The Threat" and "The Evil That Men Do" also play their part in making the album a classic.

Soul On Ice Revisited/closed.

peace.

ARon

"Anything Goes" has always ben my favorite beat on this. Oddly my friend and I were actually talkin about this last night. We decided if it did have better beats, which aren't all that bad to begin with, it could very well be the Hip-Hop album, competing with Illmatic, for me at least. Still, just with the album as it is it is amazing. It really says something about Ras.

Good thread.

I don't think that beats are as bad as the critics described them back in the days. Still, they didn't equal Ras delivery. Anyway, despite this, album is undeniable classic.

roaches

I think it's pretty pointless to revisit landmark albums if you're just gonna slobber over them. The last time I listened to Soul on Ice, I also noticed the beats didn't bother me as much, but I chalk that up to having gotten used to them over the years and having just finished listening to some of Obie Trice's Eminem-produced shit, which definitely alters your perspective on bad beats.

As far as Ras Kass himself's performance goes, sure, his lyrics were pretty damn great. He didn't ride the beat very well at all, however, and he seemed way to impressed with himself, what he was saying, and how shocking he supposedly was.

Soul on Ice had some "oh shit" moments, but Chino XL's joint had just as many. Ras Kass has some great singles, but Royce da 5'9 does, too.

roaches

Eh, I don't really feel that way. I relisten to shit all the time. But I don't post about it unless I notice something different, or I feel different about it. Otherwise I feel like I really don't have anything to add.

It was more of a disclaimer to my negativity than anything, lol.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.