Album Expectations.

linx

Staff member
I guess i'm just ranting, but whatever..

What's with this shit anyway? It's always a good experience when you get to hear a good or even great album, but why does everyone expect everything to be just that?

If a rapper drops a great first album, does he have to drop a BETTER one for you to still be a fan or what? Nas dropped Illmatic and it seems like not many people are/were impressed by It Was Written. I know I was.. the albums DOPE. As good as Illmatic? No. To me it didn't have to be.

That's just one example though. There's plenty of good rappers that have had a GREAT debut album and a GOOD follow up album. Yet people look down on the second one like it's garbage.

What do you expect now? Why?

Me personally.. it all depends. If I read/hear an interview with one of the rappers I like and he's saying a bunch of good shit, i'm probably gonna be like "oh! the album is gonna be dope!". I don't ever feel the need to compare an artists album to another album that same artist has released. I just don't see the point. Too many people do it. Why though? Why does every album Nas drops have to be better than Illmatic? Why are some Jay fans still looking out for another Reasonable Doubt? Does the new Wu album have to be as good as 36 Chambers? Fuck no.

If a rapper or group drops a dope album, that's good enough for me. It doesn't have to be better than anything else they released previously. As long as it's good its self. It's good to see progression, but lets be honest. How much better could an artist like Nas or Jay have done? Overall, i'm happy with the albums Nas has dropped. They aren't all good/great, but fuck it. There's certainly wayyy more good material than bad. Again though, i'm just using him as an example.

Consistency is what's important to me. There's gonna be weak points though. That's gonna happen. Not everyone can be COMPLETELY consistent. Artists like Nas, Jay, Az, Kool G Rap, Big Daddy Kane, Krs One, De La Soul, Bone Thugs, Common, Wu-Tang, Ice Cube, Outkast, Redman and more have all dropped a good amount of albums. They have all had what I consider to be successful careers. They are consistent artists. They haven't all given us a classic album, but that doesn't matter.

masta247

Staff member
I enjoyed "it was written" more than "illmatic". That's probably because it's more of "my era" of hip-hop.
That's what I grew up listening to and that's the style I always love to hear. "illmatic" is a bit too plain and "old school" to me. Actually I enjoyed most hip-hop albums untill 2003-2005 when the "new era" started and somewhere deep inside I hope that it will end. Fashion for hip-hop destroyed everything.

But to answer your question - I don't know :)
I guess it's the artist that makes you get hyped up.
When you hear good first album you think that artist mastered his skills over time and his every next album will be better than the one before. When you see that he failed - you're dissapointed because you feel like he got weaker and that he lost it. That's how it is IMO but it usually prooves that he may not be a good rapper - just lucky enough while recording a classic.
But as I said that's just how I think.

linx

Staff member
I'll continue to use Nas as my example, but for everyone that plans to post here, please don't treat this as a Nas thread.

Nas dropped Illmatic and the shit was great. A classic as everyone knows. When he dropped It Was Written, I wasn't disappointed because it wasn't as good. I was happy because he dropped another good album. THAT is the way I look at it when it comes to music. That's just me I guess.

I'll continue to use Nas as my example, but for everyone that plans to post here, please don't treat this as a Nas thread.

Nas dropped Illmatic and the shit was great. A classic as everyone knows. When he dropped It Was Written, I wasn't disappointed because it wasn't as good. I was happy because he dropped another good album. THAT is the way I look at it when it comes to music. That's just me I guess.

in the risk of keeping this a nas thread just wanted to throw out there that in my opinion It Was Written was a better album than Illmatic contrary to what other people may believe. dont get me wrong i think Illmatic was still an amazing album but It Was Written was more complete to me.

^also didnt even see masta's reply and saw that we were on the same page here

other sophomore albums that surpassed the first:

Immortal Technique - Revolutionary Vol. 1 > Vol. 2
Wu-Tang Clan - Forever > 36 Chambers

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.