Aesop Rock - Labor Days: The appreciation thread

Aesop Rock's debut Def Jux album Labor Days released back in 2001 is dope with a capital D.…I bumped a couple of joints earlier on this evening for the first time in a long time and found myself with an uncanny urge to write a rant fuelled homage to it’s dopeness. The result is what follows (bit of a long read, but worth it if you haven’t heard the album before)

On Labor Days, Aesop Rock says more astoundingly intelligent things per minute than the entire combined rosters of most other labels. His implementation of complex poetic devices / outstanding rhyme schemes will be wasted on many, but modest Aesop doesn’t rhyme for props even if he is fully deserving of drooling accolades such as mine.

Blockhead, who handles the majority of production here, does a fine job in complimenting Aesop’s double-timed verses and jimhickey wordplay. There is nothing like the sweep and pulse of intertwining melodies to lend momentum to deep bass line fuelled jams....Layered with scraping percussion, Eastern Mediterranean guitar plucks, wiry synthesizers, yawping wood flutes and even handbells, the tone of Labor Days somehow manages to be intimate and epic at the same time.

One would assume that much of the low-key, bass-oriented production might conflict with Aesop’s rapid-fire delivery. Surprisingly, the effect of this juxtapose is intensely pleasurable giving the album a warm and almost amniotic sense of immediacy. Aesop embraces every beat with detail-driven narratives, peppering parallel metaphors and interjections throughout whilst retaining a sense of originality in his subject matter.

Labor Days is a very good album….and in an age where the hip hop press is notoriously fickle, slapping dumb, classic! hyperbole on nearly every underground artist that stumbles along with a half decent mixtape whilst simultaneously riding the dicks of dead rappers, it’s albums like this that should be truly remembered in years to come.

Discuss.

7 Syns

Ive tried to get into Aesop Rock's music for a few years now but I can't. Reagrdless of how lyrical he tries to be, his flow and delivery annoy me at times. I give him regards though for having a solid fan base.

I listened through Labour Days twice and it just wasn't for me.

peace.

7 Syns said:
Ive tried to get into Aesop Rock's music for a few years now but I can't. Reagrdless of how lyrical he tries to be, his flow and delivery annoy me at times. I give him regards though for having a solid fan base.

peace.
It took me a bit of getting used to initially but one of the reasons I like Aesop is his undeniable distinctiveness. He doesn't do banal which should always be laudable.

Lakai

'Life ain't a bitch, life is a beautiful woman, you only call her a bitch because she won't let you get that pussy"

Aesop Rock

although i really didn't like Labor Days that much, there was a few ehhhh tracks, but some of his other shit is mighty hot

roaches

"Daylight" probably made his career so much tougher, it's a shame.

Besides that, "No Regrets" is my favorite song on the album.

I've yet to give Labor Days a complete sit-through, I think I'll go and do that now.

7 Syns said:

peace.

NO DOUBT....most his fans don't know shit bout hip-hop though (anybody that saids ALL mainstream is whack needs to be taken out of hip-hop)

GhettoStar said:
most his fans don't know shit bout hip-hop though (anybody that saids ALL mainstream is whack needs to be taken out of hip-hop)
Care to elaborate or at least give some evidential basis to your senseless conjecture?

albohemia said:
Care to elaborate or at least give some basis to your senseless conjecture?

Not senseless when the majority of his fans assume that all Mainstream and hip-hop that isnt underground......that is in my life so no it's not senseless son.....maybe not in your case, but to say that you havent seen this (espcially with fans of white underground let alone backpack shit) is a fallacy in it's self.

I just don't see the hype about Aesop Rock.

GhettoStar said:
Not senseless when the majority of his fans assume that all Mainstream and hip-hop that isnt underground......that is in my life so no it's not senseless son.....maybe not in your case, but to say that you havent seen this (espcially with fans of white underground let alone backpack shit) is a fallacy in it's self.
I’m not questioning your claim that fans of Aesop Rock you've encountered might have shown disdain for mainstream hip hop but without conducting a survey of his entire fan base about they’re knowledge of a music genre, your assertion that most Aesop fans “don't know shit bout hip-hop” is without merit to say the very least.

albohemia said:
I’m not questioning your claim that fans of Aesop Rock you've encountered might have shown disdain for mainstream hip hop but without conducting a survey of his entire fan base about they’re knowledge of a music genre, your assertion that most Aesop fans “don't know shit bout hip-hop” is without merit to say the very least.

hahaha:laugh: next time Professor I will make sure to say most of the fans I KNOW....geez.Besides you already am not questioning my claim so my claim is not that far off, just the numbers which is pretty high(in my opinon). Aesop isn't that good to begin with, there are about ten mainstream rappers(this list includes even ODB) that entertain me better then him (in terms of beats, lyrics, and flow)

GhettoStar said:
Aesop isn't that good to begin with, there are about ten mainstream rappers(this list includes even ODB) that entertain me better then him (in terms of beats, lyrics, and flow)
Interesting opinion but perhaps we can get back to actually discussing the album.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.