Aaliyah

SiGh

Who's there?
Staff member
Just wanted to say Rest in Peace in her memory. Cant believe its been 5 years since the plane crash took her life. :(

Seriously, it doesnt seem like it was 5 years ago. Maybe its just me. Her music lives on.

Rest in Peace
Aaliyah Dana Haughton
January 16, 1979 – August 25, 2001

www.aaliyah.com - her site.

Here's a lil run down on everything that happened--

Death
On August 25, 2001, at 6:45 pm, just after filming of the "Rock the Boat" video was completed, Aaliyah and 7 friends boarded a twin engine Cessna 402B (N8097W) piloted by Luis Morales III. It is believed that this aircraft was headed to Opa-locka Airport near Miami, Florida, when the ill fated flight suddenly crashed shortly after takeoff. The pilot and all eight passengers were killed.

The singer is interred in a private room in the Rosewood Mausoleum at Ferncliff Cemetery, located in Hartsdale, New York.

Investigation
Reports have shown that the pilot, Luis Morales III, lacked the skill level needed to safely operate this aircraft. Morales falsely obtained his license from Black Hawk Airways by showing hundreds of hours never flown, suggesting he was not qualified to pilot the plane in the first place. Additionally, an autopsy performed on Morales revealed cocaine and alcohol in his blood.

Further investigations determined the plane was over its total gross weight by several hundred pounds. Although witnesses claimed that the passengers had been asked to leave some luggage behind, it was later discovered that the passengers, including Aaliyah, had not been informed of the excess weight.

Eddie Golson, president of Pro Freight Cargo Services at Opa-locka Airport, said workers carted "a pickup truck of freight" from the crash site Monday. "That's absurd to think that this pilot got in this airplane with eight other people and a truck full of freight and expected this thing to fly," Golson said. "What the hell was going on?" A baggage handler was reported to have said that no one weighed the passengers or baggage.

The day of the crash was Mr. Morales' first official day with Blackhawk International Airways. He had been employed with Golden Airlines in which he was fired 4 hours before the fatal crash. Blackhawk International Airways was authorized by the Federal Aviation Administration as a part 135 single pilot operation. In addition, Luis Morales III was not registered with the FAA to fly for Blackhawk. As a result of the accident, a wrongful death law suit was filed by Aaliyah’s parents, and was later settled out of court for an undisclosed amount.

So fucked up :mad:

I kept myself busy all day today, trying to stay in manic mode, because I still can't really cope with her passing. It's hard for me, I can just imagine how agonizing it still is for her family, I still remember seeing the news go across the bottom of the screen on Mtv as soon as it happened. I remember watching Mtv when they broke the news on Aaliyah, 'Pac and Left Eye passing, Aaliyah's was the one I got really emotional about (I was too young when 'Pac passed).

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.