a

Street Hop & Music

Ok people.

As part of my career in journalism, I’m writing a feature article on music piracy. I’m planning on mentioning StreetHop.com and I would like to hear some input from the users of this board. If you’re eloquent, your words may well end up in print.

Unfortunately this means comments like ‘yeh diss site is gud 4 buyin musik’ or ‘fukk feminem n lttg dats sum weak shit 4 dload’ aren’t going to make it. I know that for some of our members this will be unavoidable, but I know there are more than enough people to make up for this small demographic.

I came here in 2003 only to read and download 2pac remixes, that was it. But after sticking around for a while I realised there was far more to StreetHop. This made me want to contribute. I now write for the board, buy from the board and buy retail releases in general – the amount of CDs and LPs I’ve bought this year already total five times more than what I bought in 04 and 05 combined.

I completely attribute this change to the board and the philosophies of some of its members. There is a real community here – it wants you to do more than operate within the law, it wants you to support your artists. You can’t post retail material here. StreetHop is unique; it’s not like boards like RealestNiggas or Boxden where you must post retail material as a condition of joining. Like I said, SH is unique.

The thing is though, is that I cannot express any these sentiments in my article because I must remain objective.

So I want to hear your opinions on the topic of music piracy, mainly in reference to SH. If you don’t know where to start, consider some of these questions.

A lot of message boards or forums act as an ‘online community’. They tend to be divided into two categories: ones that promote illegal music downloads and ones that actively remove any illegal music and promote the purchase of retail material within their community. What are your views on both types?

- Leechers vs Contributors at Street Hop, your views?

- Has Street Hop influenced your buying or downloading trends in any way?

- Downloading: the legal argument vs the moral argument. Your views?

- Do you think we should be entitled to download material that is not available for retail purchase?

A big thank you to everyone who contributes.

** Street Hop VS Music Piracy **

Has Streethop influneced your buying or downloading trends in anyway?

Streethop has influenced my listening trends a great deal. Once I arrived at Streethop, I began to realize how small my listening areas stretced out. Streethop is not only a place where anyone, at any given time can find out about their favorite artists, they can also discover artists they haven't heard before, and then discuss them with induviduals whom have already heard the material before and might be able to provide facts about that particular artist. Streethop is a community, and members begin to trust other members, and their individual taste in music. When a forum has these elements, it is easy to discuss albums, artists, and anything music related. While the people with the knowledge of the artists discuss, onlookers, whom may not know as much about a particular artists will learn more and might end up joining the Streethop Community in the future. Streeyhop is an extremly well-rounded rap/hip-hop website, where people all across the world discuss te music we all love.

** Street Hop VS Music Piracy **

- Leechers vs Contributors at Street Hop, your views?

Fuck leechers. When I do download a album off of a forum, i usually give something back to the person who did upload it.

- Has Street Hop influenced your buying or downloading trends in any way?

Yeah, I rarely download albums now.

- Downloading: the legal argument vs the moral argument. Your views?

I don't give a fuck if it's legal or not i'll download regardlessly. For every album you don't download, i'll download 5.

- Do you think we should be entitled to download material that is not available for retail purchase?

sure

Butt Rubber

More arrogant than SicC
Piracy has been going on since time began. People used to pick up straw huts and steal food from underneath (hence the term "Shoplifting"), now it has turned digital. When will this crusade end? It never will.

^Print that man, i worded it perfectly for ya

A lot of message boards or forums act as an ‘online community’. They tend to be divided into two categories: ones that promote illegal music downloads and ones that actively remove any illegal music and promote the purchase of retail material within their community. What are your views on both types? i'm all for the communties that promote buying retail. but sites that do promote illegal downloading are only doing what they can get away with.

- Has Street Hop influenced your buying or downloading trends in any way? i can say it has. i don't watch much tv or listen to the radio so i end up using the site to learn what's about to come out. hell, i wouldn't know ice cube had a new album if not for this forum.

- Downloading: the legal argument vs the moral argument. Your views? it's wrong to download, or rather cheat, the money from a hardworking artist as musicians have to eat too.

but honestly, i can't blame a fan of the music for getting it one way or the other. even if the route they took is robbing the artist. they are just fans after all, and the artist being able to eat tommorrow is the last thing on most minds.

- Do you think we should be entitled to download material that is not available for retail purchase? now this i do agree with. if anything this is one of the few perks of downloading. as when it's out of retail you're usually out of luck and perhaps missing out on a classic. but the digital age has done a good job of hookin me into shit i would have never heard due to no more prints being made.

good luck with your shit man.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.