A Tribe Called Quest.

7 Syns

Let's discuss the inventive immortal hiphop group, A Tribe Called Quest (Q-Tip, Ali & Phife). A couple of years ago I got introduced to their music via my cousin whom at the time was listening to the Midnight Marauders tape. Their laid back, jazzy influenced sounds alongside their rhymes really stuck me on them. However it wasn't until 1997 when I started really getting into buying albums (I had a couple before hand) that they really started becoming a personal favorites.

Album wise, I dig The Low End Theory however my favorites areactually People's Instinctive Travels And Paths Of Rhythm and The Love Movement.

Songs, 'Start It Up', 'Award Tour', 'Da Booty', 'Motivators', 'Like It Like That', 'Midnight', 'The Pressure', 'Bonita Applebum', 'We Can Get Down', 'Can I Kick It', 'Mind Power', 'Pad & Pen', 'Mr. Muhammed', 'Hot 4 U', 'What Really Goes On', 'Scenario' & 'The Love'. Thats my best of anyways..

Q-Tip's one of my favorite emcee's ever. His flow is smooth, rhymes are great and overall a dope rapper.

peace.

linx

Staff member
I was introduced to A Tribe Called Quest in the early 90's, i'd say around 93-94. I was still young, but I loved hip hop music. Of course I didn't understand it as much as I do now, but I really enjoyed listening to it. Maturing as a hip hop fan is a beautiful thing. :D

My cousin gave me a tape with some shit on it and some of it was A Tribe Called Quest. Like you, I also loved the jazzy influenced sounds and their rhymes. I mean basically, I became a fan of Q-Tip instantly. I loved the way he sounded, it was smooth as hell and I really enjoyed his rhymes. Although I back and forth on which album is my favorite, most of the time it's The Low End Theory.

It's really hard for me to name a list of favorite songs since Tribe is one of those rare groups that I can just listen to all the way through. But some of my favorites are Scenario, Excursions, Can I Kick It, Check The Rhyme, Bonite Applebum, What Really Goes On, Mr. Muhammed, Motivators, We Can Get Down and Mind Power. That's just a few, the list really goes on.

As far as them as a group overall, they're great. One of my favorite groups without a doubt. They're original, creative and their sound is great. I love it. One of the best hip hop groups ever if you ask me. Whenever I get the opportunity to introduce any artists to somebody, I always make sure Tribe is one of them. :thumb:

This is dope how this came up now.

I just got into A Tribe about 2 weeks ago, I had never bought an album but my love for littel brother made me curious how influenced them.

I bought "Midnight Marauders" and "the Low end Theory" and im just hooked. Midnight Marauders is my favorite with dope ass tracks like"sucka Niggas" "Lyrics To Go" "Elictronic Relaxation" and so many other gems,

The Low End theory is mad ill 2 though,"weve got the jazz" "Bugging Out' And ofcourse "scenario"

They're just dope

7 Syns said:
Let's discuss the inventive immortal hiphop group, A Tribe Called Quest
YESSSSS!

(Q-Tip, Ali & Phife). A couple of years ago I got introduced to their music via my cousin whom at the time was listening to the Midnight Marauders tape.
YESSSS!

Their laid back, jazzy influenced sounds alongside their rhymes really stuck me on them.
YESSSSSSSSS!

However it wasn't until 1997 when I started really getting into buying albums (I had a couple before hand) that they really started becoming a personal favorites.
YEAAAAAAAH

Album wise, I dig The Low End Theory however my favorites areactually People's Instinctive Travels And Paths Of Rhythm and The Love Movement.
+ BEATS RHYMES & LIFE
& YES THE LOVE MOVEMENT

Songs, 'Start It Up', 'Award Tour', 'Da Booty', 'Motivators', 'Like It Like That', 'Midnight', 'The Pressure', 'Bonita Applebum', 'We Can Get Down', 'Can I Kick It', 'Mind Power', 'Pad & Pen', 'Mr. Muhammed', 'Hot 4 U', 'What Really Goes On', 'Scenario' & 'The Love'. Thats my best of anyways..
+ 1NCE AGAIN
+ BUSTA'S LAMENT
+ CHECK THE RHYME
+ VIVRANT THING (Q-TIP SOLO ALBUM)
+ THE HOP

Q-Tip's one of my favorite emcee's ever. His flow is smooth, rhymes are great and overall a dope rapper.
Q-TIP & PHIFE + SHADEEQ (sp)

WORD UP + ONE LOVE + REP

A

jbrolax

never got too into them, but i do like them, i was going to buy one of there albums not too long ago, forgot what i bought instead.....But yeh Can I Kick It, Bonita Applebum, and Da Booty are my favorites...oh and Scenerio

The Low End Theory is top ten.

As far as their material from '96-on:

"Took a shower kinda sour cause my favorite group ain't comin with it
But I'm witcha you cause you probably goin through it anyway
But anyhow when in doubt went on out and bought it
Cause I thought it would be jammin but examine all the flawsky-wawsky
Awfully, it's sad and it's costly, but that's all she wrote
And I hope I never have to float in that boat
Up shit creek it's weak is the last quote
That I want to hear when I'm goin down when all's said and done
And we got a new joe in town
When the record player get to skippin and slowin down
All yawl can say is them n***** earned that crown but until then"
- Andre Benjamin

7 Syns

Who thinks we should get a Native Tounges album?? Native Tounges being De La Soul, A Tribe ofcourse and if im not mistake the Jungle Brothers?

peace.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.