A Tribe Called Quest Reunion Steals the Show At VH1’s Hip-Hop Honors

masta247

Staff member
Last night (October 4) at NYC’s Hammerstein Ballroom, VH1 paid tribute to various hip-hop legends in the taping of their annual Hip-Hop Honors, which will air this coming Monday, October 8, at 8 p.m. on the music network. Closing the show was an all-star tribute to Queens legends A Tribe Called Quest, featuring Common, Pharrell, Lupe Fiasco and Busta Rhymes (clad in a Leaders of the New School-era fluorescent pink and green jacket and hat) all performing classics from the group’s catalog. Kanye West was also scheduled to appear, but was a no-show. The night was capped with Q-Tip, Phife and Ali Shaheed Muhammad all taking the stage (with extended family Jarobi and Consequence) to perform “Check The Rime” and “Award Tour.”

The fusion of R&B and hip-hop was also a focal point of the evening, with a tribute to Teddy Riley, Uptown Records and New Jack Swing featuring T-Pain, Ne-Yo, Kool Moe Dee, Keyshia Cole and Riley himself. Whodini’s melodic hip-hop mix was also recognized in a tribute that featured Jermaine Dupri (who got his start as a dancer for the group) performing and even briefly breakdancing. KRS-One, Busy Bee and Grandmaster Caz also appeared to bring it even further back in a tribute to the classic film Wild Style.
The night’s other two tributes, to Snoop Dogg and Missy Elliott, brought out more star power. The tribute to Missy (the night’s only honoree who did not also take the stage during her tribute) was highlighted by Eve and Keyshia Cole performing “Hot Boyz.” Snoop’s tribute drew cheers at several points, notably when T.I. and B.G. performed “Deep Cover,”Ice-T performed “Gin N Juice” and when Snoop himself took the stage with Bow Wow to perform “Who Am I (What’s My Name)?

Source: XXLmag.com

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.