A more matured Rakim (the 18th letter) > a younger Rakim (paid in full)?

7 Syns

When it comes to Rakim's records, the first thought which pops into people's head is the obvious "Paid In Full". For a couple of factors, *it revolutionized how emcee's rhymed and *some productional technique's were also new at the time. It's however, the flow and lyrics which people always point at. Back then it was just describe first as "what?" then follow by a big "woah". Amazing.

But when it comes to Rakim's albums, i'd probably rate his 4 records after better then his historic debut. Why? Because i'm a massive fan of Rakim and due to that I will always prefer a more matured Rakim behind the mic then a younger Ra. I felt that up to before "The Master" dropped each record had topped the previous. For example, I felt that "Follow The Leader" was superior to "Paid In Full" in every way and aspect. Then when "Let The Rythm Hit 'Em" dropped I again felt it was better then it's predecessor. And it continued like that up to after "The 18th Letter" dropped.

"The Master, I acknowledge wasn't his best work and perhaps his worst in terms compared with his others in his catalouge is still a strong record. I just feel that the Rakim which rhymed on the songs "The Mystery", "The Saga", "When I'm Flowin" and "New York" is just better then the Rakim which rhymed on "My Melody" or "Eric B Is President".

Basically Im saying based on his skills and music atmosphere of his records "The 18th Letter" > "Don't Sweat The Technique" > "Let The Rythm Hit 'Em" > "Follow The Leader" >"Paid In Full" > "The Master".

I know im most likely alone on this one. And I consider personally that he has 5 classics and one average record.

Thoughts? Disagree to agree? Drop 'em.

peaxe.

I like his delivery much more on 18th Letter, it's just much more polished and just shows his maturity as an emcee, at least in comparison to Paid In Full.

Although it may be possibe that I'm not judging it with a clear unbiased mind, but I feel that Paid In Full ranks higher that where you put it, for me it would be number two behind The 18th Letter, but that may be the influence of its historical significance, amount of singles etc. that I can't really judge it properley, maybe if I was able to appreciate it when it came out and at least follow Rakim's career as it developed my opinion would be more valid and worthy.

AmerikazMost

7 Syns, I'm with you. Rakim is truly a lyrical god.

"The Master" wasn't his best work I believe because of the lack of production. When you hear songs like "Flow Forever" and "When I B on Tha Mic," you know he still has it. Also, I believe that pairing Rakim and DJ Premier may be creating the greatest hip-hop duo in history. Rakim is arguably the greatest rapper ever, and DJ Premier is arguably the greatest producer. The intangible that puts the connection over the top - they both hip-hop artist, not rap artists. They both bring it back to the days when the music was more than music, it was culture. It's refreshing to hear them together.

As far as his albums go, I think that "The 18th Letter" is his most polished album. I think his flow is never more on point on any other album, and his lines are genius. "Still leave authors 'n' writers with arth-er-ritis." "N when the topic is topicless then I'm writin' the apacalypse." Creatively, his only album that rivals it is "Paid in Full."

With that being said, I still think "Paid in Full" is his greatest album because of what it did for rap. However, I'd be more likely to put "The 18th Letter" into my stereo, so here's my list:

1. Paid in Full
1a. The 18th Letter
3. Don't Sweat the Technique
4. Let the Rhythm Hit Em
5. Follow the Leader
6. The Master

It pains me to see "Follow the Leader" that low on a list, but I think it is. "Microphone Fiend" might be his greatest song though.

His top 5 albums are all top tier albums. Possibly the greatest collection of albums ever.

ARon

AmerikazMost said:
With that being said, I still think "Paid in Full" is his greatest album because of what it did for rap.
That is pretty much how I feel, just because of what it meant i don't have it in me to say The 18th Letter is better. But, if i knew nothing about hip-hop and you threw both albums in my face, I would like The 18th Letter more, if that makes sense. But I do like the "older" Rakim more. It's like watching an artist through the years go and perfect his art with each attempt, and he just keeps getting closer and closer, truly amazing.

AmerikazMost

Aristotle said:
That is pretty much how I feel, just because of what it meant i don't have it in me to say The 18th Letter is better. But, if i knew nothing about hip-hop and you threw both albums in my face, I would like The 18th Letter more, if that makes sense. But I do like the "older" Rakim more. It's like watching an artist through the years go and perfect his art with each attempt, and he just keeps getting closer and closer, truly amazing.
Exactly. How many rappers out there can say that they have matched or surpassed the greatness of their last album every time they release something? Not many. KRS-One? Only if you ignore those few albums at the end. Pac? Maybe, though you can argue he dropped from 2Pacalypse Now to S4MN and from MATW to AEOM. Biggie? Not enough material. Ditto to Dr. Dre. Nas? Jay-Z? Eminem? Snoop? No, no, no, and no.

great thread, ive often thought about this myself. i personally prefer the mature rakim. like you said, he just sounds so much more polished, and his lyrical content is so deep and complex. just listen to the mystery. but i do absolutely LOVE the young rakim, because he was just raw as FUCK with an incredible flow like no one had ever heard before. its hard to pick, but i probably have to go with the mature rakim

I agree with the fact that he gets more polished with every record.

"Rakim gets stronger, as I get older"

I still enjoy Paid in Full though because of its influence and how many times you can hear it quoted in other records

"Takin' off my coat, clearin' my throat"

I'd have to say that The 18th Letter is his polished work to date, so I'm pretty much just making a long post that agrees with 7 Syns

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.