50 Cent & Kanye West Framed In New Exhibit, Painter Illustrates How It Came Together

Rahim

VIP Member
Staff member
The fine arts world is embracing hip-hop with two upcoming exhibitions at the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit and at The Smithsonian's National Portrait Gallery.

SOHH caught up with artist Alex Melamid - father to G-Unit video director DanTheMan - to talk about Holy Hip-Hop! his first solo exhibition, which opens at the Museum of Contemporary Art on February 8th, 2008.

Melamid is well known in the art world for founding the Soviet Realist Pop Art movement. The subject matter of his latest exhibit was a bit of a departure for the artist, who says his video director son inspired his latest choice.

Holy Hip-Hop! features life-size portraits Melamid painted of twelve iconic figures from hip-hop, including Snoop Dogg, 50 Cent, Kanye West, Common and Russell Simmons.

"I followed the advice of my son," Melamid told SOHH. "He knows more about hip-hop than me, much more. I wanted to be closer to my son, have him share his world with me. Older people are losing track of what's going on and our children help us understand what's going on in the world."

At the introduction of his son, Melamid spent from 2003-2005 meeting his subjects and getting to know them before photographing and drawing them as the basis for his paintings.

When asked his thoughts on depicting controversial figures like Snoop and Don "Magic" Juan, Melamid said he avoided being opinionated.

"I just depict what I see, I don't make any judgment," Melamid said. I'm not saying if the people are good or bad, that's not my problem. I try to be objective. I had a good chance to be objective because I don't have any stake in this world. I just see and I paint."

Despite his objectivity, Melamid did say one subject in particular left a good impression, "Some people were very nice to me, like Common, he was the sweetest guy of them all, I like him a lot."

Next March, Lil Jon, Marc Ecko and the other figures from Melamid's Holy Hip-Hop! series will be in good company when they are shown in London alongside Melamid's new subjects, 12 Roman Catholic priests.

"After I finished my twelve paintings of the rappers, I lived in Rome for a year and I painted the Catholic priests there," Melamid revealed. "Next year they will be shown with the other paintings in London --12 priests and 12 rappers."

Holy Hip-Hop! New Paintings by Alex Melamid will be on view at the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit (MOCAD) from February 8 through April 20, 2008. Visit www.mocadetroit.org for more information.

Source: SOHH.com

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.